Steve Gladbach

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Gene913
14ers: 58 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Steve Gladbach

Post by Gene913 »

The obituary from the Kansas City Star this morning.
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/kansas ... bLoggedOut" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
peace and grace.
"If you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, and you say to this mountain, 'move from here to there,' it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you." Matthew 17:21
summitstep
14ers: 15 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by summitstep »

To all of you.... I have been so moved by all the stories and recollections shared by you about your times and encounters with Steve. I have taken the liberty (and I apologize for that) of collecting some of your photos and making a brief slideshow which is up on youtube. Look for Steve Gladbach - a Remembrance. Think I cleaned up the audio now. Also looks like I figured out how to link; see below.
God bless the Gladbach family, and God keep all of you safe as you climb this year. I'm sure Steve will be top of mind on many summits in the coming days. Climb as he climbed, and let's all live like he lived.

http://youtu.be/GnKhg0EniDo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

john
Last edited by summitstep on Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:58 am, edited 4 times in total.
"In this high country that we love, trails are steep. We climb each mile, breath by breath, and at the threshold of pain, bliss overtakes us."

"It's called CRAZY. And somehow, when you are bent over your poles, staring at your boots- heart heaving and trying not to cough your lung onto a rock= you look up...and you are looking down over all those beautiful mountains....and you wouldn't want to be anywhere else."

"For all the richness of normal, everyday life, it is good sometimes to trespass high in the sky, and live with uncommon intensity, experiencing something that gets close to the sublime."
Brian C
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (25)

Post by Brian C »

Last edited by Brian C on Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth
Brian Thomas
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 130
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Brian Thomas »

mschmalz wrote:I started climbing with Steve 25 years ago when he was just 'Steve Gladbach' and not the legend he has become. Even then, I felt like a high school receiver playing catch with John Elway. His stamina and speed were ridiculous. His smile and laughter contagious. His genuine love of the mountains inspiring.

Many if not most great athletes have an ego a mile wide. Steve never even told people about his accomplishments. You could be on your first mountain or your 500th, Steve would treat you like YOU are part of the club. The only requirement...give it go. Try climbing that mountain.

Twenty years ago Steve was in his first climbing accident. When asked if he would ever climb again he answered, "Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one. Yes, I'll keep climbing."

As much as Steve loved mountains, he loved his friends and family even more. As has been mentioned in this thread, he helped dozens and dozens reach their goals. He knew that climbing was the vehicle to other success. The confidence, energy, and joy of summiting mountains boils over into our daily lives. Steve was making better people; not just successful climbers.

His greatest joy without a doubt was family. His daughters and loving family were a constant topic. He was proud of their accomplishments more than his own world-class abilities. Steve, thank you for making us laugh, reaching our goals, and inspiring us to lead lives that matter. I know you had hundreds of friends. Thank you for making me one of those.
Your words, and the words and songs of Steve's family on Saturday, are greatly appreciated. Thank you.
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan
sanjuanmtneer
14ers: 58 
13ers: 664
Trip Reports (2)

Post by sanjuanmtneer »

Steve was absolutely the best a person and a mountaineer could be.
Absolutely the best.

He will always be one of my heroes, and I will think of him on every summit I climb to.
That's where he'll be.

Inspirational.
The way he lived his life makes me want to be a better man.

It was an honor to be at the ceremony Saturday.
And my mind was made up,
To climb all the mountains,
Now my body's laid up,
And the night advances.
And time is dear.
(With deference to John Dillon)
chickzonsticks
14ers: 18 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by chickzonsticks »

“Nobody trips over mountains. It is the small pebble that causes you to stumble. Pass all the pebbles in your path and you will find you have crossed the mountain.”
— Unknown

Wishing Steve a eternal peace and love
Brenda, tama and Pedro
bglad
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Steve Gladbach Memorial

Post by bglad »

Many Thanks to the 14ers climbing community for your outpouring of love and support for TEAM GLADBACH during this difficult time. My name is Bill Gladbach Steve's brother. I spoke at the funeral service. Britt Jones asked me to post the crux of my message about living out what Steve taught us all. So here they are; please share with any and all. Steve lived out each of these.

1. Spend time in schools volunteering to tutor and mentor the coming generation, particularly if you are gifted in math and science. Do it at the elementary, middle or high school level; wherever you feel you could make the greatest impact. It takes a village.
2. Consider education as a career option. Your influence on people's lives will go far beyond the classroom.
3. If starting a family or expanding, consider adoption as an option. All life is a precious gift from the Creator.
4. Support the foster care system in any way possible. All people need to be loved and cared for.
5. Help other people when you see a need. Open your eyes, ears and hearts to recognize those needs in others. God commanded us to love one another.
6. Work toward mending broken relationships. Admit your wrongdoing, pray for forgiveness from God and those you offended and be willing to say "I forgive you"
7. Consider getting a dog. The Gladbach's are dog people. Before buying one visit your local pound. Dogs give more love than they ever ask for. Just like Steve.
8. Invite others to join in what you love to do. Do it for them not for you. For What you have done for others that you have done unto me.
9. Get and gift a subscription to Guideposts magazine. If you ever feel uninspired to do something for someone else, pick it up and read it and you will be rejuvenated.
10. Show your family and your friends that you love them.

Steve's 3 rules of life: Be kind, take care of yourself, and work hard.

Thanks for all the love and support
Bill Gladbach
BKS
14ers: 58  5  1 
13ers: 54 7 3
Trip Reports (3)

Post by BKS »

Thanks Bill for sharing these. These were the some of the most inspirational admonitions I've ever heard.
Mark A Steiner
14ers: 3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark A Steiner »

Amen. Reason to believe from here that Steve adhered to them in his own life as well - thereby setting an example for others to do likewise.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.
14ermama
14ers: 57 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14ermama »

So sad to hear about Steve - know he is climbing somewhere in Heaven! Miss him!!!
I first met Steve on a CMC trip to climb the Wilsons in August 1991 - Steve was the leader. Drove from Colorado Springs with Steve and got to know him a bit. Marlyn and Mary Peet and Brent and Marcie Cameron were also on the trip. All very lovely, adventurous, faith-filled people! Brent Cameron recorded a video of our hikes of the Wilsons and left them for us to pick up at the downtown Colorado Springs McDonalds (the Camerons owned all the McDonalds in Colorado Springs at the time and you would never, ever know it - just really nice folks). Heard the news on June 14, 1992 that Steve and the Camerons had been in an avalanche while climbing South Maroon - the Camerons did not survive. September 1992, I had 3 14ers left to climb. I called Steve to see if he would hike with me on Crestone Peak and he said yes!!! It was a beautiful day and I think it was a "fresh start" for Steve. It was great to be back with him again!
Dear friend, Marlyn Peet helped me get Capitol Peak and El Diente the next 2 weekends!!! On top of El Diente, we sang Amazing Grace in memory of the Camerons! I will now think of the Camerons and Steve when I hear and/or sing that song!
Have done a few other climbs with Steve over the years and can tell you he is "one of a kind"!!! I am so glad I got to hike with him! My condolences to his family and friends! God bless you all!
DurangoJenn
14ers: 21 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DurangoJenn »

My belated and heartfelt condolences to Steve's family and friends, and especially Linda and Alise. The loss of such an amazing person truly shocked and saddened me. I had the good fortune to join Steve and Alise a year ago on Tabeguache, along with three others. It was one of the best days I've had on a 14er and I enjoyed hearing different mountaineering tales of his as well as other life stories. I remember Steve and Ian talking about John Denver's Rocky Mountain High lyrics and coming home to a place they'd never been before. Steve's thoughtfulness and giving spirit was obvious from the moment I replied to his "climbing connection" post to the end of our day in the mountains when he coordinated a car shuttle with some other hikers we met on the peak so that two of our group could continue to Shavano while the rest of us descended Tab. When we got back to the cars, he left to get to the other members of our group as expeditiously as possible and we did not get a chance to officially say goodbye, which was totally understandable. But being Steve, as I was driving back into Durango, I received a voicemail from him telling me that he was sorry to have left so quickly without saying goodbye and in a follow up PM I sent him, he thanked me again for the day (and saying "not everyone can put up with me talking all day!" which made me LOL and I thought how I could listen nonstop to his interesting tales, not to mention wish I could talk nonstop while ascending a 14er!) when I was the one who couldn't thank him enough for inviting me along. Thank you, Steve, for the chance to experience a day in the mountains with you and your wonderful daughter. You will never be forgotten.
Moraine14
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Moraine14 »

I never met Steve but as I’ve read through this memorial thread, I almost feel as though I’ve vicariously gotten to “know” him a little bit, through the wonderful stories & memories everyone has shared. I’ve laughed & cried & asked a lot of “whys”, and I am sorry to have never gotten the chance to meet him. As a lifelong hiker who has only recently dabbled with trying to develop mountaineering skills, I am particularly moved by the apparent kindness, patience and guidance he extended to strangers & noobs. I wish I could've had a friend and mentor like Steve, or even just the occasional helping hand, and, although I have far less to offer, I hope that I too can “pay it forward” to others in whatever way I can. I imagine that if everyone asked, “What would Steve do?” the world would be a better place. My thoughts & prayers are with Steve’s family and friends, and with Steve’s spirit. It’s an amazing person indeed who touches the lives of even those who never met him.