RJansen77 Leadville Marathon Memorial Run

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

On June 29, 2013 I will be:

Running Leadville Marathon
42%
Running Leadville Heavy Half
33%
There for support in the form of Dales/food/cheering/etc.
24%

Total votes: 33
waynebp
14ers: 58 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Re: RJansen77 Leadville Marathon Memorial Run

Post by waynebp »

Registered for the Heavy Half
SummitKathy
14ers: 52  2 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (2)

Post by SummitKathy »

Just incase anyone needed a little bit of extra motivation to R4R.......

The Jansen family (Rob's parents and sister) have already committed to come out in June to see this race. How incredible will it be to see them at the finish!?! So c'mon people!.... sign up to Run for Rob on June 29, 2013!
“Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.”-John Muir
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

The new year is here, schedules are back to normal after holiday-season madness, and it's time to start getting miles in. A box of 1/2" hex-head sheetmetal screws (about $5 for 100) takes care of the ice and snow excuse.

"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

Bean wrote: Image
Good call, but screws on Kinvaras in winter? (Mine get trashed on flat roads in perfectly dry summer weather).
What about the "my feet are cold" excuse?
'Tis the season (IMHO) for beat-up trainers, thick socks, fuzzy hats, and no watch.

Cheers and happy running!
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

madbuck wrote:Good call, but screws on Kinvaras in winter? (Mine get trashed on flat roads in perfectly dry summer weather).
What about the "my feet are cold" excuse?
'Tis the season (IMHO) for beat-up trainers, thick socks, fuzzy hats, and no watch.

Cheers and happy running!
I don't much care for the Kinvaras (just didn't like the feel, but I won't discount the possibility that their plain white upper biased me against them) and they'd been sitting in the closet for the better part of a year. I never would've worn them again so if they're trashed by spring I'll be fine with that - at least they're being used finally.

Medium-weight wool socks are keeping my feet warm even on 10-15 degree pre-dawn runs. Getting the rest of the layering right is tough, it's way too easy to overdress and end up sweaty despite frigid temps. The GPS watch is mandatory, if for no reason other than showing off how rad I am on Strava. :wink:
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Post by Derek »

Bean wrote:The new year is here, schedules are back to normal after holiday-season madness, and it's time to start getting miles in.
Not joining in the Leadville, but if anyone in the Denver area is interested in joining for "trail/elevation" miles, every Wednesday morning around 7AM I head out to either MathewWinters/Dino Ridge or Green Mountain trails for running. (Location based on how long I plan on going.) Usually 6-8 miles, 750-1250 elevation depending on exact route.

Warning: I'm not fast. But feel free to join me. Sometimes the obligation of meeting someone helps with morning motivation. :wink:

--D
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

Derek wrote:Not joining in the Leadville, but if anyone in the Denver area is interested in joining for "trail/elevation" miles, every Wednesday morning around 7AM I head out to either MathewWinters/Dino Ridge or Green Mountain trails for running. (Location based on how long I plan on going.) Usually 6-8 miles, 750-1250 elevation depending on exact route.

Warning: I'm not fast. But feel free to join me. Sometimes the obligation of meeting someone helps with morning motivation. :wink:

--D
I am so new to running I will start by running from my house to your house, watch you get in your car and drive off to your morning run... and run back to my house.

In some circles, that's more of a sprint distance; I'm not shy about my skill set.
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Post by Derek »

wildlobo71 wrote:
Derek wrote:Not joining in the Leadville, but if anyone in the Denver area is interested in joining for "trail/elevation" miles, every Wednesday morning around 7AM I head out to either MathewWinters/Dino Ridge or Green Mountain trails for running. (Location based on how long I plan on going.) Usually 6-8 miles, 750-1250 elevation depending on exact route.

--D
I am so new to running I will start by running from my house to your house, watch you get in your car and drive off to your morning run... and run back to my house.

In some circles, that's more of a sprint distance; I'm not shy about my skill set.
I go by your place at least twice a week headed to Sloans, usually Tuesdays and Sundays. Come on out. I'll bring a boombox playing "Eye of the Tiger" if you want. You have to carry the boombox though...

Come out, Bill

-D
doggler
14ers: 57  8 
13ers: 162 7
Trip Reports (25)

Post by doggler »

I will see what I can do - the San Juan Solstice is the preceding weekend, but last year I bounced back quickly.

Great idea to honor Rob this way.
centrifuge
14ers: 57  1  2 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (33)

Post by centrifuge »

I am not sure if I am running the Leadville Marathon (if not I will volunteer for sure), but thought I would toss a couple of reosurces out there. First, for those of you starting training to run your first marathon and looking for free running groups, Runner's Roost has a number of after work run clubs. They are fun, and the Lone Tree and Denver stores have beer afterwards. Its a great way to get miles in on those days when getting out after work for a lonely run sounds terrible. Here is a link with more details: http://www.runnersroost.com/community/run-club/

Also, Races 2 Remember makes customized bibs, and specifically has a bib for backstory situations for this type of situation. A group I run with had them made for a memorial run for a runner that was killed over the summer, and they turned out really nice. They are $8.50 a piece so are pretty reasonale too. Here is a link http://www.races2remember.com/Bibs.php
"i feel so extraordinary, somethings got a hold on me, I get this feeling I'm in motion, a sudden sence of liberty“ new order
Char7311
14ers: 28 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Char7311 »

I will possibly run the heavy half. If not, I'll be there to support and cheer others on! The latter is much more likely.
MountainMedic
14ers: 58  3  1 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (3)

Post by MountainMedic »

Based on slow ankle recovery, I'm shooting for cheering this year and running the marathon in 2014. Depending on where I'm living when I get back out to Denver/Boulder, I'd be happy to host any out-of-staters!

Nothing would make Rob happier than to see all these people running the marathon who otherwise wouldn't :)