Climber Deceased on North Maroon Today.

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Man Jerk
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Climber Deceased on North Maroon Today.

Post by Man Jerk »

Rip Brother.
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

Sad news. RIP.
Buckshot Jake
13ers: 71
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Buckshot Jake »

Hits home, RIP.
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

My friend Ed, and I were in the second gulley when this happened. I first heard a high pitched sound I later learned was a sustained female scream. Then we heard the unmistakable sound of a lot of rock falling our way. We were able to duck behind a rock out-cropping and watch as an unbelievable amount of rock came falling by. I was thinking “WTF is going on up there?” The rock kept falling past us for perhaps 30 seconds or more. Some were big. If someone were in their path they would be screwed. We saw a backpack come falling down with the rock. I though “Oh No”. Then we saw the climber fall past us. He was maybe 20 or 30 feet away as he tumbled by. We didn’t see him for long before he disappeared over the ledges we were on. After he passed I said to Ed, “I think we just saw someone die.”

The gulley is a series of ledges. Although most of the climbing isn’t particularly hard, there is a lot of loose rock and some awkward moves. It is steep in a way the ledges have some real exposure.

Everyone who was above us in the gulley had passed us on the trail that morning. So we had a pretty good idea how many people were likely above us. But we didn’t have a visual. We also didn’t know how far above us the climber was when he fell. What we did know, was we were likely the closest people to him who witnessed the fall. We were about 400 feet above the traverse between the first and second gulleys.

I activated my Spot and pressed the SOS. We were both shaken by what we had seen. Ed asked me what first aid training I had. I told him “Wilderness First Aid once and CPR a few times” and “ the first rule is no more victims.” meaning we had to be really careful as we down climbed to him. Not only were we concerned about more falling rock I was concerned about our own abilities to master how shaken we were.

We really didn’t expect to find somebody alive, but on that chance, I took a mental inventory of what I had for stopping bleeding. As we down climbed we stayed to side of the gulley as much as we could. We could see another climber above us down-climbing the other side. We maintained a methodical pace and kept looking back and across in case the climber had stopped on any ledges we were passing.

Another party that did not witness the fall came up through the traverse. We met them as we reached the body. I’ll not share details but it was determined he was dead. He lay above where the trail crosses the low point at the entrance to the second gulley. Ed saw his pack below the trail and climbed down to retrieve it.

We still had not made contact with the climbers high in the gulley. We didn’t know that cell phone contact had been made with SAR. The climber who was closer above soon arrived. The new party that had come up continued climbing the gulley. This served to allow word to be passed to the climbers higher up of his fate. Eventually all six climbers who witnessed the fall gathered on the ledge between the first and second gulleys.

We learned the fallen climber had arrived alone. We probably met him just above Maroon Lake and spoke for a few minutes as he passed us. Higher up he met another climber who he climbed the second gulley with. They arrived at what they identified as the crux chimney. He climbed up first and had trouble negotiating the very top. There was a loose rock that came off. He fell. His momentum took him over the side of the ledge below.

A couple was not far behind them. The scream I heard was her witnessing him tumble down the gulley.

SAR had received word this was now a body recovery. Four of us started to hike down. The couple needed more time to settle. They caught up to us not long after we made contact with SAR members who were on their way up. While we were talking to SAR the helicopter recovered his body. We met another SAR member on the way down and were also interviewed at the command center set up in the parking lot.

The Pitkin County SAR and Sherriff do an amazing job. The SAR members are volunteers who give their time to do a very tough job. We saw they are not immune to these realities either. The opportunity to receive counseling is part of their service. We really owe them a lot.

On the way down, both before and after meeting SAR we spoke about the incident a lot. We were all very cognizant of how careful we needed to be in our shaken state. We spoke of how he was leaving loved ones behind. We knew his first name. The climber who was with him, especially needed to talk. We shared a lot more details than I will relate. I’ve not said the other climber’s names. They were all familiar with this site, but were not posters. I will leave it up to them if they want to share more.

To be clear, Ed and I did not see the beginning of the fall. The climber who was with him had to duck the rock fall so didn’t see everything either. He was interviewed extensively by SAR and the Sherriff’s staff and indicated a willingness to speak to the victim’s family.

My sincere condolences to Derek’s family and friends. I am really sorry for your loss.
Last edited by MountainHiker on Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
kenike
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kenike »

Dang, MH... That's...well, there are no words. I am so very sorry you had to witness and be involved in this accident. I am sorry for the other climbers who were also unwittingly involved. And I am sorry for Mr. Kelley and his family & friends.

The ONLY good part to this is he was obviously doing what he loved, and the reminder of staying cognizant to training and emotions in an emergency. The rest just plain sucks.

Hang in there, MH. And please know the vent gates are always open around here.
zdero1
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 85 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by zdero1 »

@MountainHiker

I'm so sorry that you were involved in this tragedy, but I am thankful there are climbers like yourself who are so willing to come to the aid of others in distress. I admire your bravery and selflessness.
unclegar
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (9)

Post by unclegar »

My condolences to his family and friends and my prayers for peace and comfort during this difficult time for those left behind. And thanks, Ian, for sharing. I'm sure the responsibility and helplessness felt during the situation are difficult to comprehend.
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz
Johnson
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Johnson »

Awful news. Sorry you witnessed this MH but glad a solid person was in place. My condolences and prayers to Derek's family and friends.
Mindy
14ers: 14 
13ers: 25 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mindy »

Mountain Hiker, I am very glad for you and Dorthe, that you were able to dodge the rock fall. Words seem inadequate for all involved, especially for the family and friends of the mountaineer lost. My condolences as well.
Kapelmuur
14ers: 37 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Kapelmuur »

zdero1 wrote:@MountainHiker

I'm so sorry that you were involved in this tragedy, but I am thankful there are climbers like yourself who are so willing to come to the aid of others in distress. I admire your bravery and selflessness.
I'd like to enthusiastically concur with this statement.

And much sympathy to Derek and his family and friends. It's been an awful series of events this past month, cause to commit myself to having a greater appreciation for all those I meet on the mountain.
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 652 118 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

We didn't witness the accident but heard the unmistakable sound of the SAR helicopter around 12pm. It looked like it was searching for a place to land. We were hoping it was a rescue mission but later learned it was a retrieval.
North Maroon had a bit of black ice on it (in the upper reaches) as well as snow on the ledges, which in addition to loose rock made the conditions treacherous. R.I.P. Derek.

MountainHiker, very sorry you had to witness the terrible accident. We saw some blood on the rocks coming down.
Gene913
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Gene913 »

MountainHiker wrote:My friend Ed, and I were in the second gulley when we saw the climber fall past us. My sincere condolences to Derek’s family and friends. I am really sorry for your loss.
There is no way for someone else to comprehend either the pain Derek's family and friends are experiencing upon his loss or the turmoil that you and Ed experienced and are experiencing as witnesses to this tragedy. I am thankful, Ian, that an experienced mountaineer like you was there to assist. I was with you and Dorthe in the Culebra group climb in 2008 and know that no one could have been more equipped to deal with this than you. As everyone affected struggles to put the pieces of your lives back together, I can only pray that the Lord's strength will bring all of you comfort and peace.
"If you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, and you say to this mountain, 'move from here to there,' it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you." Matthew 17:21