Climber Deceased on North Maroon Today.

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
lurker
14ers: 51  5 
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Climber Deceased on North Maroon Today.

Post by lurker »

Shocking and sad news.

So sorry for your loss.
The Mountains are Calling, and I must Go.
--John Muir
zdero1
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 85 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by zdero1 »

On a day when there were great triumphs on 14ers, an event of such sorrow occurs. May the fallen climber rest in peace and may his friends and family be comforted.
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

Sorry to hear about his. My prayers go out to the family. R.I.P.
Vinegaroon
14ers: 34 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Vinegaroon »

My condolences to family and friends...
It doesn't have to be fun to be fun...
Billy the Kid
14ers: 52 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Billy the Kid »

As much as I absolutely love Colorado and climbing the mountains here, this is the one part of it all that I hate...hearing news like this. I wish the family and friends of this individual the best, whatever that is, and hope you all find peace. RIP...
"Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So, be on your way."- Dr. Seuss
"I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious."- Michael Scott
ameristrat
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (9)

Post by ameristrat »

My prayers are with the climber and his family. I'm hiking Evans tomorrow, and will take a moment to remember our fallen brother from the top.
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal
kenike
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kenike »

I hate stories like this. It does seem like we're heard it way too much this summer. May this gentleman have peace, and may his family know the comfort of his passing happening while he was doing something he loved....
Alpine
14ers: 55 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Alpine »

Our condolences to family and friends.
"You know I've always loved you...and you know I always will." Third Day
EVEREST DREAMS
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 70
Trip Reports (0)

Post by EVEREST DREAMS »

Very sorry to again hear news like this. My heart goes out to family and friends. May you find comfort in these difficult times.
Tortoise1
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tortoise1 »

Slow moving story - has to be a problem with either identification or notification of family.
Man Jerk
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Man Jerk »

Name will be released any time. I won't put anything public but if anyone has questions pm me
Vinegaroon
14ers: 34 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Vinegaroon »

From Denver Post:

The climber who fell 800 feet to his death while ascending North Maroon Peak Saturday has been identified as a 34 year-old Colorado Springs man, Derek Kelley.

Kelley fell when a boulder came loose, according to Eric Hansen, Pitkin County deputy coroner.

His death was caused by traumatic brain injury.
It doesn't have to be fun to be fun...