Rob Jansen Photo Memorial Thread

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Rob Jansen Photo Memorial Thread

Post by tmathews »

These are all great photos and great memories, but I just wanted to keep fresh in-mind what I'm hoping other members of 14ers.com can do for Rob's family and friends, if willing. Thanks, everyone.
tmathews wrote:I'd like to ask my fellow community members for help on this one. For the next few weeks (perhaps leading up and through the Fall Gathering weekend or longer, if you want), will you consider carrying a simple printed or hand-written sign with the name of the peak that you're summiting (14ers, 13ers, 12ers, it doesn't matter) dedicated to the memory of Rob Jansen? Rob had five peaks left on his list of 58, so if anyone heading for the Chicago Basin 4 or Sneffels those would be especially appreciated. I already know some of his family and friends outside of 14ers.com have been visiting here to read the other memorial thread and feel that showing community support will help them in the healing process. It doesn't have to be anything extravagant -- just something like "Longs Peak, 14,255 ft. In memory of Rob Jansen."

Please post your photos in this thread if you are willing to help out. Also, please don't reply to this thread without a photo. I'd like to keep responses without photos to a minimum. Thank you, everyone.
dillonsarnelli
14ers: 58  19 
13ers: 274 8
Trip Reports (53)

Post by dillonsarnelli »

Dillon Sarnelli
IG @dillonsarnelli
Basecamp, CO
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

Facebook comment: "Gotcha, Little Bear." Note the down booties and board shorts. All that's missing is a TruMoo...
Facebook comment: "Gotcha, Little Bear." Note the down booties and board shorts. All that's missing is a TruMoo...
532801_10150625879365060_1626969592_n.jpg (117.17 KiB) Viewed 4880 times
Winter Welcomer 2011
Winter Welcomer 2011
314417_10150333022055060_239894365_n.jpg (49.79 KiB) Viewed 4880 times
First Tebow Ascent of Falling Rock Tap House
First Tebow Ascent of Falling Rock Tap House
386282_10101906343728774_1526967519_n.jpg (73.99 KiB) Viewed 4880 times
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
dmccool
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dmccool »

XX.JPG
XX.JPG (85.87 KiB) Viewed 4758 times
Save a place for me up in the high country.
There's still space to breathe.

- Gregory Alan Isakov
Fisching
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 144 1
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Fisching »

Seeing this picture with 2 of my closest friends (Rob & Jeff) and a great photographer (Dillon) capturing the moment reminded me why I do this.

I needed this. Thank you Dillon.
Attachments
Photo Credit to Dillon
Photo Credit to Dillon
Mount Wilson & Wilson Peak (305).jpg (246.91 KiB) Viewed 4565 times
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."
"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."
"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."
Fisching
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 144 1
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Fisching »

dillonsarnelli wrote:

Summit of Mount Princeton - April 29, 2012 - Elevation 14,197
Rob, Dillon

Summit of Wilson Peak - May 28, 2012 - Elevation 14,017
Rob, Greg, Jeff, Dillon

Summit of Capitol Peak - July 15, 2012 - Elevation 14,130
Rob, Greg, Tyler, Dan, Dillon

Summit of Mount Wilson - May 28, 2012 - Elevation 14,246
Greg, Jeff, Rob, Dillon

Summit of LaPlata - January 2, 2012 - Elevation 14,336
Dillon, Rob

Summit of San Luis Peak - July 4, 2012 - Elevation 14,014
Dillon, Rob

Summit of Wetterhorn Peak - July 5, 2012 - Elevation 14,015
Dillon, Rob

Summit of Uncompahgre Peak - July 5, 2012 - Elevation 14,309
Rob, Dillon

This is Kim, just highjacking Greg's account. Dillon, I simply want to say I absolutely love your pictures. You have an amazing talent at capturing Rob's passion for the climb and for his brothers on the mountain. Thank you. Thank you. I very much appreciate the camaraderie you all share and am honored to be included.
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."
"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."
"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."
dillonsarnelli
14ers: 58  19 
13ers: 274 8
Trip Reports (53)

Post by dillonsarnelli »

From the archives - Southwest Ridge of Ellingwood, Blanca Traverse and some fun - January 15, 2012

and what a GREAT day this was... On the ridge (in order)... Andrew has the head cam, Jansen's next in line (orange helmet, of course), Jeff and I lost in the back of the pack somewhere.

(It gets good after the 1 minute mark).

[youtubevideo]d75QNAtK5gM&feature=player_embedded[/youtubevideo]

video by awknox - Thank you for this Andrew.
Dillon Sarnelli
IG @dillonsarnelli
Basecamp, CO
BenfromtheEast
14ers: 58  10  16 
13ers: 37 8 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BenfromtheEast »

So I hiked up Bierstadt this morning, thinking of the last big training run that Rob and I did before the Leadvillle Trail Marathon this summer. I pushed the pace in hopes of staying just ahead of the tears and just behind the image of Rob steadily gaining distance ahead of me with his easy jog. I didn't do very well with either. The weather snuck up on me after about 30 minutes on top and I bailed without getting the summit picture I'd hoped for. I guess these will have to do for now.
20120830_bierstadt1.jpg
20120830_bierstadt1.jpg (193.06 KiB) Viewed 4305 times
20120830_bierstadt2.jpg
20120830_bierstadt2.jpg (152.15 KiB) Viewed 4305 times
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

tmathews wrote:I'd like to ask my fellow community members for help on this one. For the next few weeks (perhaps leading up and through the Fall Gathering weekend or longer, if you want), will you consider carrying a simple printed or hand-written sign with the name of the peak that you're summiting (14ers, 13ers, 12ers, it doesn't matter) dedicated to the memory of Rob Jansen? Rob had five peaks left on his list of 58, so if anyone heading for the Chicago Basin 4 or Sneffels those would be especially appreciated. I already know some of his family and friends outside of 14ers.com have been visiting here to read the other memorial thread and feel that showing community support will help them in the healing process. It doesn't have to be anything extravagant -- just something like "Longs Peak, 14,255 ft. In memory of Rob Jansen."

Please post your photos in this thread if you are willing to help out. Also, please don't reply to this thread without a photo. I'd like to keep responses without photos to a minimum. Thank you, everyone.
Just a reminder (if you want) to pack a sign with you this weekend. Post your photos in this thread. If you have room, please consider also taking another sign for Chris Gray and posting it in his thread.

It has been probably the most difficult week ever for a lot of people close to me in the time I've been a member of 14ers.com. Please -- everyone take care this weekend. Take a moment to let your families and friends know how much their love and support means to you before you set forth into our glorious mountains.
scottfarish
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by scottfarish »

We did not know Rob, but it's obvious that he was a great guy and a special friend to many other climbers in this community. Climb on, Rob!
Attachments
Columbia_memorial.jpg
Columbia_memorial.jpg (169.11 KiB) Viewed 4028 times
MountainMedic
14ers: 58  3  1 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (3)

Post by MountainMedic »

scottfarish wrote:We did not know Rob, but it's obvious that he was a great guy and a special friend to many other climbers in this community. Climb on, Rob!
Guys, this is an incredible tribute. Truly inspiring. I know it means a lot to his friends and family.
Mike Cormier
14ers: 45  9 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mike Cormier »

RIP Rob
Attachments
Mt. Sneffels_rj1.jpg
Mt. Sneffels_rj1.jpg (298.11 KiB) Viewed 3765 times