RIP Rob Jansen (rjansen77)

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

RIP Rob Jansen (rjansen77)

Post by tmathews »

L to R: Rob, Greg, Dan, me
L to R: Rob, Greg, Dan, me
a-07102.jpg (150.81 KiB) Viewed 18101 times
I have it on pretty good authority that the family has been notified. If any of Rob's family happens upon this post and finds otherwise, please accept my sincere apologies. Please reference this thread if you don't know.

Rob was an exceptional friend. I hiked Sherman with him and Dillon Sarnelli last December and did the Maroon Bells Traverse with him, Dan McCool, and Greg Fischer last June. Anyone who knew Rob knew him to be a young man full of life. I exchanged PM's with him nearly every day of the week.

This is all I know for now. I'm sure Rob's companions will add details as they can. I'm asking all of you to keep Dan McCool (dmccool), Dillon Sarnelli (dillonsarnelli), and especially Tyler Prince (MountainMedic, who's recovering from a broken ankle) and Greg Fischer (gregory_fischer) in your thoughts. They will need the support of the 14ers community in the months to come.
Yesterday (Saturday) right before 4:00, I got a call from a friend of mine who is with Mountain Rescue Aspen. They were responding to a call made by someone who originally reported an accident last year on Snowmass Mountain in which a young man died. I know all of the people involved in that. The accident occurred near Hagerman Peak, a Centennial Peak which shares a ridge with Snowmass Mountain. I immediately tried to start contacting as many people as I can, but wasn't able to get in touch with anyone.

Around 8:30, I got another call. My contact told me, "Rob didn't make it." My heart dropped. He didn't know a last name, but said he'd try and find out and get back to me. I started calling everyone again. I was finally able to get Greg on the phone. I spoke fast and furiously and then asked where he was. As it turned out, he was in Aspen. He said that it was our friend Rob who had died and he was with the group involved in the accident. Our other friend, Tyler, broke his leg and was heading for surgery.

I spoke with another friend in our social circle, James, later on. He told me that he had met the group on Snowmass' summit and that they had planned to traverse to Hagerman. On their way down, they started seeing helicopters circling the area. When they got back to the trailhead, they ran into some members of a SAR team from Gunnison County. They didn't have details, but James said he needed to find out. He responded to a private message I had sent to our group earlier in the day and asked me to give him a call. I had to break the news to him about Rob.

It feels like I have a sucking chest wound; I'm still finding a bit difficult to breathe. Rob was only 24. He was planning to finish his list of 14ers on Mt. Sneffels in less than a month. I'm at a loss of words. This is the only thing that is bringing me a measure of comfort:
Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there; I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow,
I am the sun on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning’s hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circling flight.
I am the soft star-shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there; I did not die.

-- Mary Elizabeth Frye
I love you, Rob. Thank you for everything that you have contributed to my life. Be at peace, my friend. Your journey is over.
Last edited by tmathews on Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:59 pm, edited 6 times in total.
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Re: RIP Rob Jansen (rjansen77)

Post by djkest »

Wow.

This is a great loss to his family, his friends, and this community. My sincerest condolences - I am in shock. While I didn't know him personally, reading his reports and forum posts gives you an impression of him. Rob was always so full of energy, enthusiasm, humor, and friendship. Words are not adequate. I am sorry for your loss.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
AndYouSeeMe
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 209 25
Trip Reports (23)

Post by AndYouSeeMe »

RIP Rob. We only met once but exchanged a handful of PM's lately. You were a true lover of these mountains and I find some solace that you had some of your best friends with you until the end. You will be in my thoughts everytime I am in the mountains from now on.

I pray for your family and friends during this time and hope for a full recovery for Tyler.
Zambo
14ers: 58  5  16 
13ers: 160 10 9
Trip Reports (40)

Post by Zambo »

I was just looking through my T.R.'s. Rob had commented on most of recent reports, and was kind, positive, and uplifting in each. There just are no words. R.I.P.

As for the other guys, you will be in our thoughts and prayers as the mourning and healing begins. A sad, sad day for our community.
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

R.I.P. I read an article that said he was from Connecticut. I would assume that was where he was orignally from but moved to Colorado?
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

This is such a tragic loss. I never met Rob, but certainly remember many of his kind and generous contributions to this forum.

There can be little solace in such a loss other than to have lost him doing something he loved.

Rest in peace.
Make wilderness less accessible.
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

I never met him, but based on his posts and the kind words from others, I wish I had.
R.I.P.
Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (68)

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

Rob, may you rest in eternal peace.

Greg, Dan, Dillon - we are, all of us, here for you.
mattpayne11
14ers: 58 
13ers: 111
Trip Reports (48)

Post by mattpayne11 »

R.I.P.

Sounds like an outstanding guy. I echo what others have already said. Such a loss...
blazebo
14ers: 58  2  18 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by blazebo »

Wow. this is a real bummer. I met rob at the leadville marathon this past june. Condolences to his family and the many lives he touched.
"Come on, you sons of bitches-do you want to live forever?"
-Gunnery Sergeant Dan Daly, USMC, 1918.
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

Rob, I'll miss the PMs on the Weekday nights asking me advice on things you are far more skilled at, like climbing.

Rob, I'll miss the epic Crestone Needle - Illegal Pete's - Mount Lindsay traverse dreams, up the NE Ridge direct.

Rob, I'll miss the swim trunks and glacier glasses.

Man, for only knowing you a year or so, it was one helluva year. I could always count on you adding to people's smiles with your self-deprecating humor and humility. I know this was a freak accident, your skills were never bravado; one of the faster and more cautious people I've ever had the fortune to climb behind. Lord knows I could never keep up.

RIP Rob; You will truly be missed - your star did not deserve to burn out so quickly. Peace my brother, love you and your spirit.

(below - Ben, Tyler, Rob, Dan (Miles), Jeff, Greg, Bill, Dillon)
Fisher Fest 2012
Fisher Fest 2012
540211_10103170912642534_1181555510_n (1).jpg (238.21 KiB) Viewed 17817 times
(below - Dillon, Bill, Greg, Rob, Jeff, Keri)
Post Wilson Group Dales Ales around
Post Wilson Group Dales Ales around
418786_3961838797716_2036384453_n.jpg (138.42 KiB) Viewed 17817 times
(below - Jeff, Dillon, Tyler, Ben, Bill, front row - Rob)
Culebra - August, 2012
Culebra - August, 2012
298738_631841738659_120706548_n.jpg (62.57 KiB) Viewed 17817 times
Last edited by wildlobo71 on Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus
coloradokevin
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by coloradokevin »

I never met Rob (that I'm aware of at the moment), but we're all part of a very small climbing community, and I'm certain that some of my friends knew him. I'm sorry for the loss that so many of you are directly dealing with at the moment. I've certainly seen Rob post here on 14'ers.com quite a bit, and it seems evident that he had a deep love for the mountains.