RIP Rob Jansen (rjansen77)

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
fortmyers-b
14ers: 58  7  2 
13ers: 16 2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: RIP Rob Jansen (rjansen77)

Post by fortmyers-b »

I had the pleasure of spending a weekend with Rob last August in the Sangre de Cristos, on Kit Carson and Challenger. He was a great climber, and more impressively, an amazing human being. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends. Until next time bro, RIP.
ulvetano
14ers: 58  10  7 
13ers: 48 2 1
Trip Reports (20)

Post by ulvetano »

Sympathies and thoughts to family and friends. Very tragic is an understatement.
Alpine
14ers: 55 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Alpine »

I didn't know Rob at all, except through his posts and TRs here. He certainly seem like someone I would have liked to know better. As a father who has climbed many of the harder 14ers with two of my sons, I cannot begin to imagine the grief his family and particularly his father, must be experiencing.
"You know I've always loved you...and you know I always will." Third Day
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

I just read Rob's trip report on Holy Cross that he recently did with his Dad.

Sadly, it was very touching reading it now. That first photo is the route up
Mt Washington where I stood right where he is in the pic.

Condolences to those who knew Rob well, his family and friends.
From all I've heard, seems like he was a real good guy.
marciamallow
14ers: 58 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (0)

Post by marciamallow »

I met Rob a few times at 14er events and had the privelage of climbing with him 2 weeks ago on Culebra. Turns out, he went to a college back East very close to where I lived before moving to CO. Having personally lost my loved one to the mountains, I am deeply saddened by this news. It is so hard to lose such a vibrant soul so young. May strength and love envelope his family, friends and climbing buddies. RIP Rob.
Marcia
ChrisRoberts
14ers: 12 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ChrisRoberts »

I didn't personally know Rob, but it's definitely been difficult to read the accounts and see the pictures left on this thread, its quite apparent he was a well liked and exceptional person. Rest in peace.
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
NoCoChris: Now with less Colorado!
MtnChick
14ers: 57  3 
13ers: 48
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtnChick »

Some of us had the honor of spending time with Rob's father yesterday as we began to say goodbye to Rob. Mr. Jansen talked about how he shared his love for the mountains with his son. He said that he took a business trip to Seattle once and was astounded and mystified by the view of Mt. Ranier. He brought a picture of it home to Rob and said, "I think you would really enjoy this mountain." Rob was inspired and made it a goal to climb it. He trained incessantly and successfully summited soon thereafter. He was 15 years old. It was his first big hike (prior to any 14ers). What an inspiration!

I also had the honor of spending time with Rob's closest hiking partners, as they came together to comfort one another. These guys are more than just hiking buddies...they are a brotherhood (an affectionately bromantic brotherhood) with a supportive bond like none I have ever seen. We asked the server to take a photo of all of us. Before he snapped the picture, he said, "What brought you all together today?" There was a slight silence...then Rob's Dad said, "We are here celebrating our friend's life."

We have such an AMAZING community and I am so fortunate to be a part of it. Rob had a way of making people feel ALIVE in his presence and bringing people together. Let's continue to gather, climb, dance and play in his honor. Love you, Jansy!!

~Mandy Miller
kushrocks
14ers: 58  25 
13ers: 65 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by kushrocks »

MtnChick wrote: We asked the server to take a photo of all of us. Before he snapped the picture, he said, "What brought you all together today?" There was a slight silence...then Rob's Dad said, "We are here celebrating our friend's life."
I was just going to mention this. When Rob's dad said this it showed a true testament to his character and the amazing person he raised Rob to become. Mr. Jansen it was an honor to meet you. If you or your family need anything please reach out to any of us. Thank you for allowing Rob to be such a big part of our lives. Be ready for those calls we promised you the next time we are standing on top of a summit.

After hearing the news some of us flew across the country to be home early, others skipped out of work on a moments notice all to be there to support our friends and especially Rob's father. We all made arrangements to meet then drive to Glenwood Springs yesterday. It was an emotional time filled with hugs, tears, and laughter while thinking about the joy Rob had brought into all our lives. Rob, we are all better people for having known you.
Attachments
From Left to right. James (Fletch), Ryan (kushrocks), Tyler, (MountainMedic), Dillon (dillonsarnelli), Dan (dmccool), Ben (BenfromtheEast), Jeff (SurfNTurf ), Greg (gregory_fischer), Bill (wildlobo71), and Terry (tmathews)
From Left to right. James (Fletch), Ryan (kushrocks), Tyler, (MountainMedic), Dillon (dillonsarnelli), Dan (dmccool), Ben (BenfromtheEast), Jeff (SurfNTurf ), Greg (gregory_fischer), Bill (wildlobo71), and Terry (tmathews)
IMG_0188.JPG (81.45 KiB) Viewed 3160 times
Photo with everyone including Robs dad in Purple there to "Celebrate our friends life"
Photo with everyone including Robs dad in Purple there to "Celebrate our friends life"
IMG_0185[1].JPG (83.83 KiB) Viewed 3160 times
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

DSC07367.JPG
DSC07367.JPG (251.94 KiB) Viewed 3133 times
Thank you everyone for making the trip out to Glenwood yesterday. It was a long, impromptu trip, but I think Mr. Jansen was extremely grateful for the show of support that we mustered -- not only for Rob's family, but for each other as well.

I just want to take a moment to ask all of you who knew Rob or was touched by his life to make a donation to Mountain Rescue Aspen. It doesn't have to be much; even $5 or $10 that you can part with (perhaps one or two less beers or Starbucks this week) helps. Time and again, this organization comes to the aid of our brothers and sisters in the 14ers community and beyond. I cannot say enough about the level of professionalism and compassion that they possess. You can donate via PayPal at their website: http://mountainrescueaspen.org/support-mra/
Last edited by tmathews on Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
SummitKathy
14ers: 52  2 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (2)

Post by SummitKathy »

Bless all of your that made the trip to Glenwood. I'm sure it meant a lot to Rob's father... and also to Rob.
“Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.”-John Muir
semitrueskerm
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (4)

Post by semitrueskerm »

Bravo, guys. What an amazing gesture of love and support. You should all be proud of this turnout. I am sure it was incredibly meaningful to the family...and to you all.
sunny1
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 225 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by sunny1 »

Fantastic pics, guys. Thanks for sharing your experiences.
What a tough time - very neat you had the opp'y to meet Mr Jansen and support each other.

Terry, thanks for the link to MRA donations - those guys ROCK.
Have met a few of them in the backcountry "at play". Great peeps.
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.