RIP Rob Jansen (rjansen77)

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
SummitKathy
14ers: 52  2 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (2)

Re: RIP Rob Jansen (rjansen77)

Post by SummitKathy »

wildlobo71 wrote: If we prove our worth maybe we could wear their logo, like an official partner... of course that logo will have a big asterisk next to it with the disclaimer that "these are not the folks who really will be saving lives, you must be in shape to be a member of MRA."
Interesting you should mention this. I thought of looking for sponsors for which we could maybe use their logo. I could contact Oskar Blues brewery for obvious reasons (I have a friend that works there so maybe this will help) as well as Jay Peak ski resort in Vermont (a favourite of Rob's from childhood from what I've read). Thoughts?
“Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.”-John Muir
mikemalick
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 202 9
Trip Reports (8)

Post by mikemalick »

SummitKathy wrote:
wildlobo71 wrote: If we prove our worth maybe we could wear their logo, like an official partner... of course that logo will have a big asterisk next to it with the disclaimer that "these are not the folks who really will be saving lives, you must be in shape to be a member of MRA."
Interesting you should mention this. I thought of looking for sponsors for which we could maybe use their logo. I could contact Oskar Blues brewery for obvious reasons (I have a friend that works there so maybe this will help) as well as Jay Peak ski resort in Vermont (a favourite of Rob's from childhood from what I've read). Thoughts?
Perhaps Bill M. could create a purpose-specific donation link on 14ers.com just for this purpose to which folks could donate and then participants' gear could have the 14ers.com logo in addition to other "sponsors"?
tehchad
14ers: 13  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (1)

Post by tehchad »

Just a thought....

I haven't looked into any of this but what about a team relay? Would they allow it?

We could each run two to a 5k or something.....

My $0.02
zdero1
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 85 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by zdero1 »

Would this event offer a half-marathon? I did a quick google search and only found a Heavy Half (15 miles) but I don't know if this is apart of the same race.

I have my first half marathon on 9/22 and prior to training for this did not run once in over 10 years, so running is a pretty new thing for me. If I can train consistantly perhaps the marathon would be a possiblity...

I'd love to be apart of this event in any way possible. Wonderful idea.
kara
14ers: 41 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kara »

The Heavy Half (~15.5) is the only half of the Leadville race series (though there is a 10k done during the 100 bike race). Everyone is together for the first mile or so then the half-ers split off and head up to the top of Mosquito Pass. Rob and I spoke several times about the Leadville races and I always expressed awe (and dreamy interest). Rob encouraged me to start training and I always brushed it off as something too far outside my wheelhouse. Monday I made the conscious decision to begin training in earnest. The full probably isn't for me, but the Heavy is so going down!!

There will obviously be lots of smaller training races that happen between now and the end of June(ish). I would love to represent the cause along the way with whatever gear we come up with.

R4R, indeed!!
Mountains have a way of dealing with overconfidence. --Hermann Buhl
MountainMedic
14ers: 58  3  1 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (3)

Post by MountainMedic »

POST MOVED
Last edited by MountainMedic on Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
susanjansen
Trip Reports (0)

Post by susanjansen »

Greetings 14ers,

We are all so touched by your tributes and memories. Thank you. God willing, I will meet some of you soon. I am Rob's Aunt and I am collecting photos of him in the places he loved doing what he loved. He has so many pictures of you all, that I figure you must have wonderful pictures of him. You can send them to me at susankjansen@gmail.com. Thank you.
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

I would be lieing if I said I didn't get emotional 2/3 of the way through the Black Crest Marathon on Sunday. Most scenic, trail running race I've done do date.

Thanks for running it with me RJ. Already miss talking about the trails with you man.

Didn't see a single soul except 1 near the car all day at some Pieplant 13ers. Couldn't help but think about our fallen mountaineers.
Attachments
P1040699.JPG
P1040699.JPG (286.27 KiB) Viewed 6736 times
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

Lay down
Your sweet and weary head
Night is falling
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore

Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see
All of your fears will pass away
Safe in my arms
You're only sleeping

What can you see
On the horizon?
Why do the white gulls call?
Across the sea
A pale moon rises
The ships have come to carry you home

And all will turn
To silver glass
A light on the water
All souls pass

Hope fades
Into the world of night
Through shadows falling
Out of memory and time
Don't say: "We have come now to the end"
White shores are calling
You and I will meet again

And you'll be here in my arms
Just sleeping

What can you see
On the horizon?
Why do the white gulls call?
Across the sea
A pale moon rises
The ships have come to carry you home

And all will turn
To silver glass
A light on the water
Grey ships pass
Into the West
MonGoose
14ers: 58  16  17 
13ers: 51 11 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by MonGoose »

siop
Trip Reports (0)

Post by siop »

I have been privileged to read and share Rob's Leadville Marathon race report. I thought some of you might be interested in reading it as well.

http://co-running.blogspot.com/2012/10/ ... rt-by.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing the lawn. climb that goddamn mountain" -jack kerouac

"here is your chance to find your own way. go on your own. be adventuresome. don't forever seek the easiest way. go the way you find. don't demand trail signs and sturdy bridges. don't demand we show you the mountains. see them and find them yourself. here's your chance to get lost, fall in the creek, find a beautiful place." -randy morgenson
Theodore
14ers: 20  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Theodore »

siop wrote:I have been privileged to read and share Rob's Leadville Marathon race report. I thought some of you might be interested in reading it as well.

http://co-running.blogspot.com/2012/10/ ... rt-by.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Another great TR, thanks for posting.