RIP Rob Jansen (rjansen77)

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
zdero1
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 85 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: RIP Rob Jansen (rjansen77)

Post by zdero1 »

Rob on the summit of Shavano (in the stylish trunk of course). Couldn't keep up with him on the way to Tab, which is apparently a common experience for many a hiker.
6/2/12
Attachments
robshav.jpg
robshav.jpg (185.6 KiB) Viewed 2496 times
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

Really sad to hear about this, what else can be said about how heartbreaking this tragedy or how great of a guy Rob was that hasn't already been said? I wish I would have met him, but we did exchange some PMs this winter when he was planning a Massive trip just after my own ascent. It was a pleasure talking mountains with him and its too bad we never got to meet up for any hikes, I have a feeling I would have enjoyed hiking with him.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

Thought some of you would like to see the video I got of Rob skiing Hope after clmbing the cooley this past spring. Mr. SurfnTurf can be seen glissading.

[youtubevideo]nPj1ibKpWiw&feature=plcp[/youtubevideo]

The picture shows Rob and the pass he paced someone up during this years Lead100. I'm honored to say I paced the same race and am deeply saddened to not see the day him and I struggle to get over the pass on our resepctive runs.

RIP dude

and Tyler, hope you make a swift recovery man.
Attachments
P1030469.JPG
P1030469.JPG (328.35 KiB) Viewed 2408 times
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
mountainmicah83
14ers: 58  3  10 
13ers: 10 1
Trip Reports (24)

Post by mountainmicah83 »

I met Rob on Holy Cross in July. He actually recognized my dog, Baz, and we chatted for a few before we parted ways. He was full of energy and a very friendly person. RIP Rob and many prayers to your family, friends, and partners. You will be greatly missed.

I will see you at the top Rob.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." -- Calvin Coolidge

Visit my blog at: http://mountainmicah.blogspot.com
kara
14ers: 41 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kara »

I was making popcorn on Saturday night when I got the news, sank to the kitchen floor as the phone clattered away, and didn't move until the smoke detector starting blaring. I couldn't possibly have heard what I heard.

Rob always told me it was totally possible when ever I'd say that Leadville (heavy half to begin, trail to follow, and in a completely parallel universe the 100) was on my bucket list. I'd laugh and tell him he was crazy, but Rob being Rob had nothing but encouragement. I hit the gym today planning to zone out and "escape". Instead, I started training. Thanks for everything, kiddo. You'll be missed beyond measure.
Mountains have a way of dealing with overconfidence. --Hermann Buhl
Rarefied
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rarefied »

While his postings alone consistently said "good guy", his report on the trip with his father and the outpouring here say so much more. The marks he left everywhere are solid ... and durable. RIP, Good Mountaineer.

R
Kitten
14ers: 58  1  2 
13ers: 122
Trip Reports (24)

Post by Kitten »

Very sad to hear. I did not know him in person but I had read his posts and great reports here, so I feel like I "knew" him a little. Condolences to family and friends.
"Do or do not, there is no try"
Yoda, Star Wars.
Mike Cormier
14ers: 45  9 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mike Cormier »

I was so sorry to hear this news. I only knew him by his posts here, but this community and his family will surely miss him. Rest in peace.....thoughts and prayers to his family and close friends.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

What a shame. Really sorry to hear this. We never hiked together but communicated on the forum, etc.
So young.

RIP buddy.
Cool Hand Luke
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 105
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cool Hand Luke »

I had the pleasure of meeting Rob at the 2011 Fall Gathering and while on the summit of Handies we talked running for a while. It was obvious that he was very passionate about his outdoor pursuits and was equally interested in others' goals and adventures.

Rob and I messaged some about running Four Pass Loop, but he had Snowmass scheduled for the weekend; said he would wave our way from the summit. His planned gesture really stuck out to me at the time, so considerate and unselfish. We agreed to get a trail run in sometime after the Fall Gathering, I was really looking forward to running with him and talking about Leadville.

May you rest in peace, Rob. My thoughts go out to family and friends during this hard time.
sunny1
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 225 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by sunny1 »

It's clear from the posts on this thread, Rob's posts and TR's he was an incredible guy that will be deeply missed.

I wish his family, friends and hiking partners comfort, healing and peace. I'm so sorry for your loss.

He wrote up another great TR about N Maroon, another summit he shared with his Dad (haven't seen it mentioned yet):

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... ki=Include

On another, very surreal note, I arrived at Geneva Lake Saturday, 8/25, around 4 p.m., our plan was to climb the S Ridge of Snowmass Sunday a.m.
There was a Flight for Life helicopter circling the bowl between Snowmass and Hagerman as we arrived.
We were fixed on the sight, heavy hearted, knowing someone was hurt or worse. We were witnessing a SAR incident.

The first man we ran into told us he'd heard loud rock fall, "that just kept going and going" "It lasted a long time"
We could see the chopper attempting to land high in the bowl, making a few attempts, but unable to find a suitable landing zone.
In that bowl, there are numerous chutes, all with piles of rocks below them. There aren't flat spots, just piles of rocks.
The Flight for Life chopper finally was able to land lower, it appeared a few people were dropped off (SAR volunteers).
The chopper reappeared shortly after and appeared to drop off 2 more people.
Later that eve, we saw what appeared to be a Blackhawk helicopter hovering above the ridge between Snowmass and Hagerman - and at one point, actually looked like it touched down briefly on the ridge, that chopper had also made a few attempts to land high up in the bowl, and later touching down lower.
Both the Flight for Life and the Blackhawk circled the bowl and Snowmass numerous times.

Another man approached us Saturday eve and asked if we were with the group of 5 guys that had been on Snowmass earlier that day, had gone on to N Snowmass, then on to the traverse between Snowmass and Hagerman.
His group felt this group of 5 were in trouble. They had met the group of 5 on the summit of Snowmass earlier Saturday.
None of us knew what was transpiring above us, only watched helplessly - and in horror - from below.

Sunday, while climbing the S Ridge, we again saw the Flight for Life helicopter circling the area, right above us.
We were above the bowl, amazed that anything could land there. And also amazed at how much loose rock was there.

Today, while backpacking out, we saw the Flight for Life helicopter landing twice on the lower flat area, powering down for a few minutes.
This was followed by the Blackhawk helicopter circling and hovering over the ridge.
We did not see it land today, as we were headed out and the trees obstructed our view.

I got cell service early this afternoon and was alerted to this tragedy by a few friends. It all came together in a very heart sickening way.

After seeing the helicopters and the skill of those pilots, I am in awe and have the deepest respect for the service they deliver. The same goes for the SAR volunteers - that is very tough terrain up there.
Last edited by sunny1 on Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.
IAmtnclimber
14ers: 22 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by IAmtnclimber »

Although I did not know Rob I am at a loss for words by this tragedy. I lost one of my best friends on Holy Cross 18 years ago and remember the day as if it was yesterday. Rob obviously has touched the lives of many and will continue to climb on with you and guide you in spirit. My sincere condolences go out to all of his family and friends.