Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Missing hiker on Mt Bierstadt/ Mt Evans

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.

Re: Missing hiker on Mt Bierstadt/ Mt Evans

Postby MtHurd » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:14 pm

R.I.P.
Last edited by MtHurd on Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Aug_Dog » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:28 pm

Shocker that this thread would turn into a pissing match. If Clint's family is seeing this thread, I'm sorry if it comes across as insensitive.
Go get it

Postby Tim A » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:04 pm

Crossfitter, thanks.

The macabre fascination and desire to talk about accidents and what the victim did 'wrong' continue to remind me of rush-hour traffic all slamming on their brakes to gawk at a car wreck on the side of the road and speak in whispered tones. I'm so used to seeing the "I hate to speculate, but..." crap that I quit reading these threads after I see 'that' post, which never fails. The last thing I want to read or hear when I'm preparing to bury a loved one is someone saying: "Well, ya know, I hate to conjecture, but she shouldn't have smoked all those years," or, "well, he shouldn't have been driving and texting." We're all aware of the risks associated with mountaineering and heading into the outdoors. We shouldn't have to immediately depersonalize every tragedy or incident and use it as a soapbox for finger-wagging about "mistakes."

Myself preparing for a sawtooth traverse in a few months, this one hits me especially hard, but I'm thankful for SAR bringing closure to this man's family and for all the risk and effort they put into keeping us safe every day in the mountains. Just knowing they're there is comforting both for me and my loved ones when I'm out in the wilderness. Prayers for this man's family.

Postby cocraig » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:18 pm

RIP, Clint.

Postby Cookie Monster » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:23 pm

Sad, sad news. Condolences to his poor family. RIP pilgrim.
“Faeries, come take me out of this dull world,
For I would ride with you upon the wind,
Run on the top of the dishevelled tide,
And dance upon the mountains like a flame.”

Postby jfrenzen » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:52 pm

To family/friends of Clint: I'm very sorry.

To everyone else: I would agree with the comments that there is nothing wrong with having a discussion about accidents. We've all seen time and time again how people berate you for "conjecture" and become offended if we try to guess/wonder/speculate, or whatever you want to call it. Bottom line, I learn from reading these things and discussing it. If not in a 14ers forum, then where do you suggest these conversations take place?

I believe it would be wrong to write this stuff in an online news article forum, as that is much more likely to be read by friends/family post-accident. I do not believe my wife would come to 14ers.com to read about me if I were to perish in an accident, heaven forbid.

I also know that I will not convince any of you that believe this is wrong, and that is not my hope. I would just like to feel that I can ask a question and learn something to be better prepared for my next trip.
Mount of the Holy Cross--July 10th 2010
Mount Sherman--August 14th 2010
Mount Bierstadt, Sawtooth traverse--July 22, 2011
Longs Peak--August 4th, 2012
Mount Evans--July 4th, 2013

Postby MtHurd » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:08 pm

R.I.P.
Last edited by MtHurd on Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby MtHurd » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:41 pm

R.I.P.
Last edited by MtHurd on Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby karriedaway » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:09 pm

It is with great sadness that I post this reply.

I, with my husband and a friend, summited Bierstadt on Tuesday at 10:00 am. Shortly after our arrival a man, that I can only assume is Clint, asked who wanted to take on Sawtooth with him. As far as my husband and I remember this man was wearing a green jacket. What I remember is the excited way he raised his trekking poles. He was very happy.

Another man from VA was very tempted to go with him. But in the end decided not to go. In fact, I had assumed that no one attempted it. His question had sparked a lot of discussion amongst several people at the top, whereas most people were excited to conquer it someday, but not that day.

My husband walked out a bit to check it out for maybe some time in the future. No one was out there when Rob was. When he returned, we started our descent shortly after that- about a little after 10:30.

I am sorry that I did not reply sooner to this post with information- we just returned from our CO trip and I just logged onto 14ers for the fun of it. I wish I had read this sooner.

My husband and I are in quite a state of shock at this news. We grieve for the family and friends of Clint as they must endure this time of tragedy. If anyone has a connection to the family please pass on our condolences. He was full of excitement and a zest for life and adventure at the top of Bierstadt. He was very happy. Perhaps this memory of mine will ease their pain.

Our thoughts and prayers are with them at this time.

Be safe.

Postby jswantekdds » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:59 am

Hi everyone. I was a friend of Clint's and I came across this board while doing some research about his tragic death. I wanted to thank everyone for their kind words. I also wanted to thank all of those involved in the search last week, especially the Alpine Rescue Team. Clint's parents were so thankful for everyone who volunteered in the search. I've included Clint's obituary below and his family is asking for donations to be made to the Alpine Rescue Team in his name.

Also, @karriedaway, thank you for sharing your story and I will pass along what you said to his family.

Clint's obituary can be found at the following link:
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/chicagotribune/obituary.aspx?pid=158727042#fbLoggedOut
-----------
Clinton Samelson McHugh, 31, was born on Sept. 18, 1980 in Lake Forest, IL. He passed away suddenly on July 17, 2012 in Crest County, CO. Clinton dearly loved and was treasured by his wife, Susan (Keeler); parents Dr. Carl and Linda McHugh; brother Colin (Amber) McHugh; nieces Bryn and Rory McHugh; and nephew Griffin McHugh; Susan's parents Dr. Brent and Marianne Keeler; sister-in-law Cindy Keeler; and many aunts, uncles, and cousins. Clinton was a graduate of Fremd High School, Duke University, Virginia School of Law, and was in the process of completing a Masters of Public Policy/Public Administration at Northwestern University. After receiving his Juris Doctorate in 2005, he was an associate at Kirkland Ellis LLC and Skaden Arps LLC in Chicago. He served as General Counsel for the Rapid Transit Authority in Chicago until June 2012, when he and Susan relocated to Greenwood Village, CO to begin a new chapter in their lives together. To all who knew him, Clinton expressed his spirituality as a truly kind, loving, and giving young man. He felt a strong affinity for nature and spent as much time as possible engaged in outdoor activity. With Susan, he enjoyed bicycling, hiking, kayaking, swimming, and photography. Sadly, he did not survive a tragic accident while hiking in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado on July 17, 2012. Memorials in remembrance of Clinton may be directed in his name to Alpine Search & Rescue, P.O. Box 934, Evergreen, CO 80437 or to the Shedd Aquarium at, www.sheddaquarium.org/contribute. A gathering of close friends and family to honor and celebrate Clinton's life will be held August 11. For notification, please send contact information to: csm_remembrance@hotmail.com.

Postby tmathews » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:17 am

jswantekdds wrote:Hi everyone. I was a friend of Clint's and I came across this board while doing some research about his tragic death. I wanted to thank everyone for their kind words. I also wanted to thank all of those involved in the search last week, especially the Alpine Rescue Team. Clint's parents were so thankful for everyone who volunteered in the search. I've included Clint's obituary below and his family is asking for donations to be made to the Alpine Rescue Team in his name.

Also, @karriedaway, thank you for sharing your story and I will pass along what you said to his family.

Clint's obituary can be found at the following link:
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/chicagotribune/obituary.aspx?pid=158727042#fbLoggedOut
-----------
Clinton Samelson McHugh, 31, was born on Sept. 18, 1980 in Lake Forest, IL. He passed away suddenly on July 17, 2012 in Crest County, CO. Clinton dearly loved and was treasured by his wife, Susan (Keeler); parents Dr. Carl and Linda McHugh; brother Colin (Amber) McHugh; nieces Bryn and Rory McHugh; and nephew Griffin McHugh; Susan's parents Dr. Brent and Marianne Keeler; sister-in-law Cindy Keeler; and many aunts, uncles, and cousins. Clinton was a graduate of Fremd High School, Duke University, Virginia School of Law, and was in the process of completing a Masters of Public Policy/Public Administration at Northwestern University. After receiving his Juris Doctorate in 2005, he was an associate at Kirkland Ellis LLC and Skaden Arps LLC in Chicago. He served as General Counsel for the Rapid Transit Authority in Chicago until June 2012, when he and Susan relocated to Greenwood Village, CO to begin a new chapter in their lives together. To all who knew him, Clinton expressed his spirituality as a truly kind, loving, and giving young man. He felt a strong affinity for nature and spent as much time as possible engaged in outdoor activity. With Susan, he enjoyed bicycling, hiking, kayaking, swimming, and photography. Sadly, he did not survive a tragic accident while hiking in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado on July 17, 2012. Memorials in remembrance of Clinton may be directed in his name to Alpine Search & Rescue, P.O. Box 934, Evergreen, CO 80437 or to the Shedd Aquarium at, www.sheddaquarium.org/contribute. A gathering of close friends and family to honor and celebrate Clinton's life will be held August 11. For notification, please send contact information to: csm_remembrance@hotmail.com.

Again, condolences to Clint's family and loved ones. :(

Postby kushrocks » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:34 am

My most heartfelt condolences to you and your family. I never knew Clint but his kind spirit that you mentioned is exactly the type of person my friends and I would enjoy spending time in the outdoors with. I know myself and many others will be thinking of him this weekend in the mountains as we try to honor his memory. Rest in Peace buddy.
" The two most important days in your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
"Danger in Alpinism is just part of the game. As soon as you eliminate the danger you have just every other sport." Febrizio Zangrilli
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
"To travel, to experience and learn, that is to live" - Sherpa Tensing Norgay (first person to Summit Mt. Everest)
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit" - Edward Abbey
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."

PreviousNext