Missing hiker on Mt Bierstadt/ Mt Evans

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Re: Missing hiker on Mt Bierstadt/ Mt Evans

Post by I Man »

dmccool wrote:Amazing tribute to your brother, Colin. Thank you so much for sharing it with us.
+1
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
anasarca76
14ers: 57 
13ers: 33
Trip Reports (5)

Post by anasarca76 »

Thank you very much Colin, as stated before an amazing tribute to the person your brother was. Sobering for all of us that love to be in the mountains, as this sort of tragedy could happen to the best of us. My condolences to you and your family and may Clint's memory serve to keep us all alert of the risks of our chosen hobby... Rest In Peace Clint
Hungry Jack
14ers: 12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

Colin,

Thank you for sharing these memories and insights into your brother's life. My condolences to you and your family.

I have a young son, almost 2 now. I never thought about the risks I might take while hiking the high country over the past ten years until my first trip after his birth. I'll never forget suddenly being worried about a simple class 3 scrambled to the top of The Citadel last summer as I thought about the consequences of my own mortality. Suddenly, I did not want to be there, and the joy of hiking evaporated. It was really, really weird and completely out of character of eight previous summer trips to CO.

These distorted emotions eased a bit on my most recent trip last week. Hiking a class 1/2 route on a 14er in all reality is probably no riskier than walking a city street. I hope you have a chance someday to experience the joy and rewards that your brother felt in his experiences in CO. You will see (perhaps you have already) the passion that unites us on these boards and what your enjoyed in CO.

A 14er is a great gift to give to your self and to share with your friends.
please rotate your device