Missing hiker on Mt Bierstadt/ Mt Evans

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
GeorgiaTyler
14ers: 22 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Missing hiker on Mt Bierstadt/ Mt Evans

Post by GeorgiaTyler »

Any more info on this as I will be attempting this route solo and I want to learn as much as i can about this specific area and how to avoid another accident.

God Bless his soul and his family, peace be with you.
rohit
14ers: 58  3  11 
13ers: 29 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by rohit »

RIP Clint....my prayer to his family and friends...it's awful news. very sad....
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

R.I.P.
Last edited by MtHurd on Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
metalmountain
14ers: 42  1  2 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (1)

Post by metalmountain »

Ugh...two years in a row up there. Sad stuff...RIP. I will be sending some good thoughts the way of his family and friends.
"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem
broncotw
14ers: 48 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by broncotw »

This tragedy demonstrates to me that you cannot take ANY peak or traverse for granted! In the end Mother Nature will prevail every time!

My deepest condolences to Clint and his family!

RIP brother!
Ted from TEXAS!
Mark A Steiner
14ers: 3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark A Steiner »

There is nothing anyone can do to reverse the tragedy (memorial service and/or prayer vigil for Clint for those so inclined will bring a measure of comfort). A subtle reminder maybe, that when you start up a long incline to some high point (class does not matter), begin with the objective that you will return safely to climb another day.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.
BHallDDS
14ers: 18 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by BHallDDS »

Ugh, this is awful. This one gets me too because according to all accounts and the rescue team he was coming back over the Sawtooth from Mt. Evans after noon which is never a good idea. However, he apparently wasn't aware or just perhaps decided NOT to descend into Scott Gomer Creek to Guanella Pass from Mt. Evans. Yeah, the willows suck A LOT once you get down in there and when I did it I had to do some major mud trekking and bushwhacking but I'd MUCH rather be there than coming across Sawtooth in a thunderstorm. That and after summitting both mtns, you are pretty beat and Sawtooth back up to Bierstadt would not be pleasant. From what I remember, the steep part coming from the traverse on Sawtooth up onto the slope to Mt. Evans was pretty damn loose and scary. Throw in some water and then it's deadly. I hate to conjecture but perhaps he didn't research the route enough? However, I can't believe that he didn't know this because I'm assuming he studied the route unless he just went along with a group from Bierstadt to Evans. Maybe the group was "hey, come along with us to Evans over this cool traverse here." But then where was the group when he decided to come down. Just odd in a bunch of ways for me.
crossfitter
Trip Reports (7)

Post by crossfitter »

NickJ wrote:Carl: Quick to blame the "weather related decision making"? I don't follow. I don't believe anyone thinks his decision to "descend" over the sawtooth was a weather related decision. A weather-related decision would have been to descend the Scott Gomer Creek drainage. What saddens me is if he wasn't aware of that option and felt the only way to return was over the sawtooth - in spite of the weather.

You are obviously correct about speculation. That's exactly what I'm doing and you are welcome to take issue with it. But he was on Evans at 12:30 and there was a severe storm in the area at 2:30. Seems a climbing forum should analyze these sorts of terrible accidents and try to learn something from them. Like many others, Bierstadt was also my 2nd 14er and Evans was my 3rd. Evidently, this is not all that uncommon. This one hits home for me because like this guy, I was 31 at the time. But I just feel compelled to write that for those of you considering this traverse and who are new to doing this sort of thing, please understand that it is not necessary to go back over the sawtooth on your return from Evans. In fact, given how tired you're likely to be at that point, I would recommend against it.
This is neither the time nor place to be picking apart the accident, and the same goes for all such threads. Not only are friends and family likely to be reading this discussion, but the only information that exists are a few small snippets from second or third hand sources. We do not, and may never have, the full details of the story. Rampant speculation has no basis in reality and serves no productive purpose. The vast majority of accidents are from the same handful of well-documented causes, of which you can read about in detail in Accidents in North American Mountaineering. Please put respect for friends and family of the victim first and foremost. If you must discuss this accident in further detail, a separate thread would be a far more appropriate venue.

My sincerest condolences to the family.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack

canuckcowboy
14ers: 28 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (1)

Post by canuckcowboy »

RIP Clint.

Bierstadt was my first 14er a couple years back, and later that day Evans was my 1st denied summit as Sawtooth took longer than expected and weather moved in fast. Frankly, we got off sawtooth JUST in time and learned more than a few lessons that day. It is easy to see how bad luck here or a minor mis guided decision there could have led to a less than desirable outcome. I know that solo climbing offers unique rewards and can be just as safe (nearly as safe) as hiking with partners... While i dont mean to infer that this situation would have had any alternative outcome if he had been with a partner, I am starting to place much more value on having other educated minds to help assess weather conditions and routes on the mountain.

Thoughts go out to Clints family.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- The great one, Wayne Gretzky
"Homer no function beer well without" - Homer Simpson
"I can ride my bike with no handlebars" - Flobots
MtnClimber82
14ers: 18 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtnClimber82 »

crossfitter wrote: This is neither the time nor place to be picking apart the accident, and the same goes for all such threads. Not only are friends and family likely to be reading this discussion, but the only information that exists are a few small snippets from second or third hand sources. We do not, and may never have, the full details of the story. Rampant speculation has no basis in reality and serves no productive purpose. The vast majority of accidents are from the same handful of well-documented causes, of which you can read about in detail in Accidents in North American Mountaineering. Please put respect for friends and family of the victim first and foremost. If you must discuss this accident in further detail, a separate thread would be a far more appropriate venue.
My sincerest condolences to the family.
Exactly.
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

R.I.P.
Last edited by MtHurd on Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aug_Dog
14ers: 31 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Aug_Dog »

Shocker that this thread would turn into a pissing match. If Clint's family is seeing this thread, I'm sorry if it comes across as insensitive.
Go get it