TalusMonkey died one year ago today.

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
TalusMonkeys sister
Trip Reports (0)

TalusMonkey died one year ago today.

Post by TalusMonkeys sister »

My brother, TalusMonkey, died one year ago today. It's hard to believe that it's already been a whole year. 365 days. Thanks to all of you for caring about David, and for your kind words for our family. I can't believe it's been a year. We've had a very difficult time coming to terms with David's death. Thanks again, and please be safe out there. God bless all of you mountaineers.
Thank you all for loving my brother and being his friends. You all sound like amazing friends. I can't thank you enough. Holly Newsome
jaymz
Trip Reports (1)

Re: TalusMonkey died one year ago today.

Post by jaymz »

I still remember that day... what a strange day. I still miss having TalusMonkey on these boards, and still lament the fact that I will never meet him in person on the trails. Everytime we get a fun thread going, I always wonder how much better it would be with TalusMonkey pitching in his wit and humor.

God bless his friends and family. We miss you TM!

James
"But in every walk with Nature, one receives far more than he seeks."
John Muir
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

Holly, I didn’t know your brother, but there was so much attention to him, and his unfortunate accident, in the mountaineering community that his passing is what actually drew me to this site. We tend to focus on ourselves a lot with this pastime, ensuring our own comfort, needs, and goals, so it was curiously, unexpectedly… wonderful, to see the outpouring of love and genuine feelings of true loss shared by this community. David must have really been something.

I can’t begin to imagine what it’s like to lose a sibling – and especially one who had lived his life in such a way to inspire such an outpouring of adoration and respect. A year has passed, but David lives on as the heart, spirit, and soul of 14ers.com, and even those of us who never had the pleasure of his friendship are very much aware of his presence on this site, and the fact that he left it a much better place.
ontopoftheworld
Trip Reports (1)

Post by ontopoftheworld »

Wow, a whole year gone by already. David has been greatly missed. I absolutely regret never having met him, but his legacy has lived on strong in this forum. I think of him every time I slip on my 14ers.com bicycle jersey which features his silhouette on the sleeve. Rest in peace, good buddy.
Wardsgirl
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wardsgirl »

Although I never knew him, I anxiously followed the posts from this day last year. Peace to all his friends and family. I thought of him a lot today from here in the land of 4000 footers.
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cruiser »

I'll remember May 7th for the rest of my life. My son, Sage, was born a year ago today. I actually read about David's tragic death while I was at the hospital sending e-mails to tell folks about our exciting news. Bittersweet for sure...
Where ever you are... There you are.
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

TalusMonkeys sister wrote:My brother, TalusMonkey, died one year ago today. It's hard to believe that it's already been a whole year. 365 days. Thanks to all of you for caring about David, and for your kind words for our family. I can't believe it's been a year. We've had a very difficult time coming to terms with David's death. Thanks again, and please be safe out there. God bless all of you mountaineers.
God bless you and your family and God bless Caroline. Talus Monkey's spirit lives on.
dcbates80911
14ers: 32  1 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (20)

Post by dcbates80911 »

I have only been active on this site for a little less than a year, however, I know of David's story. May god bless you and David's friends on this day and help you remember the good times. David's (Talus Monkey's) story lives on and I am sorry I didn't get to converse with him personally, but glad to know how vital he was to people on this site. Peace be with you.
There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
gsliva
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gsliva »

David will never be forgotten and thanks for posting. I was waiting for his birthday instead of today to mention anything about David. What a fine guy and I wish I could have met him in person.

Glenn
Live for the Climb and the search for commitment.
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

I remember the weekend last year when David fell. I was at an annual rocketry event that got weathered out. After getting back to the city I heard someone was in trouble on Humbolt. My heart went out to him. I had just experienced nasty weather on the Pawnee Grasslands. I feared for the person pinned down on the mountain.

I wasn’t active on 14ers.com yet. Having been a climber for a lot of years I had previously found this site while looking for current info. When the news media pointed out TalusMonkey was prominent on 14ers.com, like a lot of others I started reading the threads. Through my tears for this person I never met I could see a real community grieving for their loss.

I grew up next to the ocean. When a boat goes down it is felt through the whole community. Even if you don’t directly know the lost, you know people who do. When a lost ship in the news is from somewhere else, there’s still a feeling of kinship. With climbers it is a similar thing. Most of the world hasn’t directly experienced what we do. Like sailors however we have families and friends who are left behind if we don’t come home.

To the family and friends of TalusMonkey, my deepest sympathies.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
bblack99
14ers: 9 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (3)

Post by bblack99 »

I joined 14ers.com one year ago tomorrow after having read the hundreds of posts about David's ordeal. The outpouring of concern and adoration from the members of this site made it obvious to me that this was a great family to become a part of. The spirit of TalusMonkey lives on with every new mountaineer!
Aspen Summit
14ers: 22 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Aspen Summit »

"When Time who steals our Years away, shall steal our Pleasure too, The mem'ry of the past will stay, and half our joys renew." -- "Song from Juvenile Poems," by Thomas More 1779-1852.

Sleep well, my Friend. Someday, I'll see you on the Other Side.

Knight
Follow Your Path! Cross ALL Boundaries!! AND RIDE THE EARTH, BABY!!!