Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Best GPS to buy

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Postby Falcon3 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:48 pm

I really enjoy my Garmin Venture HC. I haven't had a chance to use it in the high country yet, but I really enjoyed it on some winter hikes in South Dakota. Some people might say the color screen is overrated, but I really enjoy it. Cuts down on straining your eyes in bright sunlight to see terrain details.

Postby dsunwall » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:13 pm

I now have the latest Etrex Vista, the HCX, it has the new Helix antanae, and a faster processor. This thing is amazing, I have never lost signal, even works inside my house. They are around $250 at Amazon.

It has much better battery life than my old B&W Vista as well.

I do believe the color screen is better than the B&W. I have two Micro SD chips, one loaded with the 1/24K Topos and one with the Garmin maps. After using both, I prefer the Garmin because you can zoom out and still have useful Topo lines. The 1:24K is only good zoomed into a small area. I simply switch the chips in the field if I want 24K detail. A 512mb chip is plenty, about $10 at Radio Schack. I wouldn't purchase the preloaded chips, its too easy to do yourself for a lot less money.

Postby MtnHermit » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:47 pm

dsunwall wrote:I have two Micro SD chips, one loaded with the 1/24K Topos and one with the Garmin maps. After using both, I prefer the Garmin because you can zoom out and still have useful Topo lines. The 1:24K is only good zoomed into a small area. I simply switch the chips in the field if I want 24K detail. A 512mb chip is plenty, about $10 at Radio Schack. I wouldn't purchase the preloaded chips, its too easy to do yourself for a lot less money.
FWIW, You can load both mapsets on one chip and switch between mapsets inside your GPS. In the map setup screen, press the menu button.

Postby dsunwall » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:47 pm

MtnHermit wrote:FWIW, You can load both mapsets on one chip and switch between mapsets inside your GPS. In the map setup screen, press the menu button.

sounds good but I don't see it. In map setup I have ["general" orientation, auto zoom, detail, or lock on road] [setup tracks] [setup points][text] [ information][marine]

if I press menu while on the map screen I get [data fields][change data fields][guidance text] [setup map which contains everything I listed above]
[measure distance][restore defaults].

what am I missing?
Last edited by dsunwall on Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby dsunwall » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:02 pm

I believe I have found it, it is in Map Setup-information. I didn't notice because I don't have two maps loaded on one chip, yet.....

Previous