Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Best GPS to buy

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Best GPS to buy

Postby runner68 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:06 pm

Can anyone suggest the best GPS to purchase for under $500. I do a lot of running and hiking and I'm also notorious for getting lost, lol. WHat I need is something that would measure distance, mileage breakdown, hear rate, elevation, and of course, direction. And of course, something that's not too complicated to figure out.

Thanks.

Postby gsliva » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:19 pm

Garmin etrex or similar will do just fine. It needs to be small so you will take it with you and easy to use. I mark my car and waypoints along the way or download them so I can find my way in zero zero conditions just in case. Take compass berings and maybe even rock cairns just in case so you can find your way back without the GPSS. I even look over my shoulder or turn around and plan my return assuming I'm doing an out and back not a loop. I have a Gamin Gecko 200 series and I use it more than my Trix because it's small. You have to understand all the math to use it though. Sorry if I'm rambling but this should get you started. I'm sure there is a thread already on this subjet so you could search for GPS etc as well.
Live for the Climb and the search for commitment.

Postby gsliva » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:19 pm

Garmin etrex or similar will do just fine. It needs to be small so you will take it with you and easy to use. I mark my car and waypoints along the way or download them so I can find my way in zero zero conditions just in case. Take compass berings and maybe even rock cairns just in case so you can find your way back without the GPS. I even look over my shoulder or turn around and plan my return assuming I'm doing an out and back not a loop. I have a Gamin Gecko 200 series and I use it more than my Trix because it's small. You have to understand all the math to use it though. Sorry if I'm rambling but this should get you started. I'm sure there is a thread already on this subjet so you could search for GPS etc as well.

Postby gsliva » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:20 pm

Sorry double post. I saw spelling errors and tried to stop it before I was finished. Idiot me.

Postby CO Native » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:47 pm

I don't think I've ever seen a GPS that will also monitor heart rate.

I'll second something in the e-trex line. Preferably the summit, don't waste your money on the color monitor though. It's not worth the additional price.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Postby CO Native » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:49 pm

Don't forget the software though. GPS units don't tend to come with maps pre-loaded other than a basic road map. If you want topos on the GPS you'll need a software to put it on the GPS. Plus if you really want to analyze the data you'll need a software to get it out of the GPS and process it on a computer.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Postby thebeave7 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:02 pm

CO Native wrote:I don't think I've ever seen a GPS that will also monitor heart rate.

The Garmin Forerunner 305 and 301 are both GPS/Heartrate monitors. They don't work as easily for navigation and routing, as they are more running/training units.

Personally I always suggest simple non-mapping units. Save yourself the money, learn map and compass very well, and enjoy the outdoors(without staring at a GPS all day).

Also I'm sure there are many past posts on GPS units, I'm too lazy to use the search function and find them though.
Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs

CG_old

Postby CG_old » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:25 pm

This Polar does both, just released. Looks AWESOME!!
http://www.polarusa.com/consumer/multisport/RS800G3.asp

I have a Garmin Forerunner 205 (w/o the HR function) and use it in conjuction with a Polar HRM. I'm not terribly impressed with the Garmin so far. The battery life is abysmal (about 10 hours and not field replaceable) and I've already sent it back once for a warranty replacement because it completely died (the unit died, not the battery). I've never used it for navigation though, so can't comment on it's navigational abilities...

As soon as they incorporate the GPS into the Polar HRMs with cycling functions (ie, the S725x), I'm switching :-)
Last edited by CG_old on Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby George James » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:27 pm

I have been thinking about getting one of these things as well, and I've been looking at the eTrex "Vista" model. Seems like thats the one, minus the heart rate monitor as far as runner68 is concerned.

If anyone has one of these and would like to comment on whether they are happy with it or not, I'd love to hear your thoughts.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack
~ The Baron Von Bergschrund

Postby Couloirman » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:55 pm

George James wrote:I have been thinking about getting one of these things as well, and I've been looking at the eTrex "Vista" model. Seems like thats the one, minus the heart rate monitor as far as runner68 is concerned.

If anyone has one of these and would like to comment on whether they are happy with it or not, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I hate them. I never got a signal when I needed one in the woods, and even sometimes on ridgetops it would just be searching for a satellite. If youre going to spend anything, suck it up and get the 60Csx. It even gets service immediately in my house. Ive been in dense timber, low in rocky valley's, in the elevators of huge office buildings(just to see if it'd work) and it has been flawless for me. Also you can get the sweet full resolution usgs topo maps from abovethetimber.com.
Couloir than you are

Postby ericwbrown1 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:57 pm

I have a Garmin Forerunner 305. It works good, has gps, heart rate monitor, it will tell you your pace, elevation, distance, etc. Its not real good with navigation though, you can pull up a map of the trail you have covered and retrace your steps thats about it.

Postby MtnHermit » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:43 pm

CO Native wrote:don't waste your money on the color monitor though. It's not worth the additional price.
Totally disagree, the color units have a number of distinct advantages:
- Easier to read day or night - more contrast, after all humans see in color unlike most animals. Do you still use a B&W TV or computer monitor?
- If you have a mapping unit, color makes it much easier to distingush a stream from a road from a contour, etc.
- Better battery life, while counter intuitive, simply compare battery life among the high end color eTrex vs. the B&W eTrex.

I just bought my first GPS in January, color was a major selling point. How that I have 40-foot contour maps of Colorado inside, I'm totally convinced. Seeing your exact position on the map via the GPS position pointer is so much more useful than attempting to transfer your numeric position to a paper map. I could go on and on, but I'm sold.

Hermit

Next