Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Mountain Hardwear Sub-Zero Jacket

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Mountain Hardwear Sub-Zero Jacket

Postby Derek » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:54 pm

Anyone know anything about this jacket for late fall, spring climbing? I'm kinda weary because its on a lower price end, but seems decent.
Anyone own it? I think I want it. :shock:

http://www.rei.com/product/656744

Thanks!
"I used to think my Dad was Elvis. But I haven't told him that yet. I haven't told my Dad either." -S. Murdoch
LOJ

Postby dsunwall » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:03 pm

I have owned one for a couple of years, but I havn't used it more than 3 or 4 times, its never cold enough in Colordao. :D Mine did come with a hood.

I love the jacket, but it does have a few negatives. 650 down is on the low end of down quality I think, the jacket is heavier than it needs to be. The Conduit shell makes it a little heavy as well. The 650 fill and the waterresistant shell, (not sure if this new one is the same) make it bulky and a little heavy.

Maybe it will fill your needs tough, its a bomber coat, for a great price.

Postby ScottN » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:08 pm

This is essentially the same jacket as the MH Subzero, except 7 ounces lighter and half the price.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/203,43968_.html

I picked one of these up with an extra 20% discount code a few weeks back. Total was like 65 bucks with shipping.

*edit*

Just a note, I would never use this jacket while hiking or climbing in Colorado. Its just too warm. This would be much better served as a winter camp jacket or belay jacket.
Last edited by ScottN on Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Jon Frohlich » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:09 pm

I have one as well but I've never had to use it in Colorado. The only time I could think I would ever need it here would be if I was winter camping. I've taken it along a few times just in case but it has wound up just taking up space in my pack.

It's a nice jacket and does keep me warm. I agree that it's a bit bulky and heavy but the price is relatively cheap so I guess you get what you pay for.

Postby Derek » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:18 pm

I guess I should have clarified further that this will be used for winter camping.

Mots010- thanks for the link...that might be what i'll pick up.

thanks for all the quick input everyone
"I used to think my Dad was Elvis. But I haven't told him that yet. I haven't told my Dad either." -S. Murdoch
LOJ

Postby Cruiser » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:23 pm

Mots010 wrote:This is essentially the same jacket as the MH Subzero, except 7 ounces lighter and half the price.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/203,43968_.html

I picked one of these up with an extra 20% discount code a few weeks back. Total was like 65 bucks with shipping.

*edit*

Just a note, I would never use this jacket while hiking or climbing in Colorado. Its just too warm. This would be much better served as a winter camp jacket or belay jacket.

I have that one too. It's really warm, packs down small, and weighs next to nothing. Just note that the shell material is really thin to save weight, so it's not going to be a very durable outerlayer. Throw a shell over it though, and you're set for whatever. Highly recomended.
Where ever you are... There you are.

Postby mtnview » Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:43 pm

No, I am not following you around the forum Cruiser, :)

But I had the same problem with the 575 650 fill down jackets. Unless it was really really cold you just didn't use them enough and they were fairly puffy like the Pillsbury or Michelin man. So I started to look for the lighter thinner 800 850 fill down jackets and as mentioned before on another winter thread Mont Bell has a nice jacket with hood and weighs only 15oz. The cheaper fill down stuff can usually weighs 2 lbs or even more.

So I would recommend looking at the Mont Bell Alpine Light Parka which you might get more use out of and it would look pretty stylin around town.
http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.ph ... id=2301315

The Mont Bell store in Boulder is on 29st and Canyon.

Allan 8)
2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise (of his return), as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
http://www.truedino.com/colorado14ers.htm

Postby USAKeller » Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:46 pm

dfreed83,
I do not own this jacket nor have I ever tried it out, but the MH Sub-Zero Down Parka was a jacket TalusMonkey bought and had planned on using it this past summer on Ranier. He never used it, and it's still brand new with the tags. I think it's a higher priced jacket than the regular Sub-Zero jacket. I have it and have been trying to sell it to help raise money for David's memorial fund. It's the jacket in this thread: http://www.14ers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=6515

I'm not sure what size you are, or if you are even interested, but I just thought I'd offer.
How long after arriving at someone's house is it appropriate to ask for the WiFi password?

Postby bartspedden » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:51 pm

I have the jacket with a hood and I use it on a regular basis during the winter above treeline and while winter camping. I have a compression sack for it so I can get it quite small. The weight is well worth it! I'm not sure what folks are talking about that it doesn't get cold enough here in colorado for this jacket. Maybe I'm just sensitive to cold, but this is my jacket of choice (for what's in my closet) for winter peaks. I usually don't pull it out on the ascent unless the wind is relentless (which, for me, it normally is relentless). The jacket is too warm for calm weather, so it's not a very diverse garment. However, when I'm on the summit this jacket allows me to stay MUCH longer! I love the winter because the hills are so beautiful and this jacket keeps me there longer! Also, on the descent, I usually have this jacket on because I'm typically cooler on the descent.

All that being said... this jacket:

http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.ph ... id=2301315

would be my choice for 14ers.
climb a mountain, catch a fish

Postby mtnview » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:34 pm

Thanks Bart, that's the one I will be using this winter. :D

Allan
2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise (of his return), as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
http://www.truedino.com/colorado14ers.htm

Postby Geof3 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:08 pm

The sub zero is a great jacket. Really, it depends on your needs. If you need to pack uber-small it's not a great choice. Or, if you are a total weight weenie it's not the lightest. It IS bombproof and VERY warm. It's a great belay jacket as well as high alt sitting around NOT freezing jacket... I had one for a couple of seasons. Loved it. Then, found the Phantom and never looked back. The phantom is better for me due to the pack size as well as a bit of weight savings. I use it for ice climbing belays and it's small enough packed to hang on the back of my harness while climbing. Nothing is better for moral that a nice dead bird coat sitting at a freezing belay. The Sub Zero was a bit too bulky in this regard. But, the weight and size of the phantom and pieces like it comes at a price. The Sub -Z bombproof. The phantom less so.
Blue Steel

Postby gsliva » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:35 am

I have the same jacket and love it. I know it's only 650 fill but it's plenty warm and cheaper than the 800 fill ones. I wish they made the same jacket with 800 fill.
Live for the Climb and the search for commitment.