Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Best Winter Hiking Jacket?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Postby superdawg » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:20 am

thanks all. by the way, i'm a girl (maybe should have mentioned that earlier), but these companies usually make equivalent jackets for women (i checked). so... i really appreciate the input! :)

Postby telehead » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:06 pm

superdawg wrote:thanks all. by the way, i'm a girl (maybe should have mentioned that earlier), but these companies usually make equivalent jackets for women (i checked). so... i really appreciate the input! :)

Anytime I see the Dawg gotta ask, you go to UGA?

If so, GO DAWGS!
"Going where the wind don't blow so strange, maybe off on some high cold mountain chain"

Postby rangerdrew » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:04 pm

I love the Mountain Hardwear Compressor too. Its so lightweight, warm, easy to move in, and hella comfy I wear it under my shell when skiing on cold days. I am a pretty aggressive skier though. So if you tear it up the Compressor might be a little warm, but if you dont go Mach 2 with your hair on fire then its probably good. The girls I know always knock it saying it looks like a '70s jacket but I am warm and they are not. Muah!
I don't commute by bicycle everyday out of goodwill for the environment. Although, it is a positive externality. ~rangerdrew

Postby changingground » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:45 pm

superdawg wrote:thanks all. by the way, i'm a girl (maybe should have mentioned that earlier), but these companies usually make equivalent jackets for women (i checked). so... i really appreciate the input! :)

Hey, Superdog. I'd like to underline a point- By all means plan for getting hot while you move, but more importantly, plan for when you're lost, and flailing about for the trail, and night is descending. I haven't done a lot of winter hiiking in CO (but promise to do more) but have covered a lot of ground in very cold environments. Plan for when you stop, for whatever reason. You can always strip off when you're moving, but when you're stuck out in the cold it really helps to have a backup insulation layer. I have two Primaloft jackets (one pullover and one zip front) which I select from depending on the activity. This insulation is great, and I don't have to worry about either jacket getting wet and failing me when I most need it.

Postby Bethie » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:15 pm

I'm a girl too & hike many peaks in the winter. The combo that works perfect for me, coatwise:
I use my Arcteryx soft shell, bring a ultralight down vest for very cold conditions, & a lightweight hardshell for super windy conditions. In the dead of winter I actually bring a full on ultralight down jacket for hanging out on top of 14ers in the cold.
My suggestion is just try different combinations. Different things work for different people.
Beth
"Wherever you go, there you are..."

Previous