Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

move on to class 3

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

move on to class 3

Postby giarcd » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:15 am

1st. 14er this year was in early June and last (so far) in Sept and each one has been class 1 or 2 . There have been 8 summits this year and have been preparing to move up to class three but feel I have run out of time for this year. Winter just doesn't seem correct time for class 3 terrain.
I have loads of BC skiing experience (tele) however haven't any experience climbing with winter conditions. How does one begin to gain this knowledge ? Specifically winter ascents of higher peaks or should I just BC ski ?

Postby Scott P » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:06 am

Winter just doesn't seem correct time for class 3 terrain.

It is; just head for the desert during winter. You are pretty close to Fruita and GJ and there is plenty of class 3 to practice on out there.

Also, if you did do 14ers in early June, usually June has a lot more snow than October in the high country. Temperature wise though, October is almost the same as May. If we have some warm sunny periods ridge routes on the higher peaks can have little or no snow in October. Depends on the weather.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby alsrun » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:58 am

Go with someone who knows!

Postby giarcd » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:32 am

Scott
the desert is a solid idea certainly worth a "go"----the peaks I did in June were Quandary,Sherman and Huron all class 1 or two . Not sure if Knife on Capital,Sawtooth on Bierstadt or Kelso up Torreys would be as easy or safe.

alsrun
someone that knows what? I'm open to help and suggestions

Postby ClimbandMine » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:39 pm

giarcd wrote:Scott
the desert is a solid idea certainly worth a "go"----the peaks I did in June were Quandary,Sherman and Huron all class 1 or two . Not sure if Knife on Capital,Sawtooth on Bierstadt or Kelso up Torreys would be as easy or safe.

alsrun
someone that knows what? I'm open to help and suggestions

Kelso ridge is fun in winter.

Postby JimR » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:31 am

IMHO, winter can be ok for class 3, but not for starting to do class 3. Either wait for next year, or if you just can't wait, go with someone who has plenty of experience & good sense.

(I'm talking specifically about 14ers & winter weather. Lower peaks & desert, as mentioned above, could be good options.)
I have more age than experience, more experience than knowledge, and more knowledge than wisdom.
Yet somehow I usually make it back to the car safely; and oftentimes, so do the people that I'm with.