Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Eating and combating nausea on the trails

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Cheese

Postby Titan » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:55 am

I never go on a 14er without a block of tasty cheese. Usually either cheddar or co-jack. It has a great energy to weight ratio and just eating a couple small chunks with calm down my stomach.

Also just eating a tiny bit helps. When I climb with my girlfriend we will split a small granola bar every 45 mins or so to keep the nausea away.

Postby RD-Biker » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:48 pm

I've been a road cyclist for more years than I care to count. Back when I first started riding, I used bananas, fig bar, granola bars, and watered down Gaterade. Over the years I switch to the powdered drinks, energy bars and now gels.

So, I applied the knowledge of what worked for me to the Mtns. I use the same stuff and increase the amounts based on how long I'm going to be out, and throw in double, just in-case. So I'd suggest you go buy several different kinds of energy bars, gels, and drinks. Use them locally when you exercise, and find what works for you

I also agree that a pain reliever of some kind, is good to take with some food before you start. I've never tried an anti-acid, but I've not had stomach issues either.

Good luck with it

Previous