Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

dog gear question

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Postby changingground » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:02 am

gatorchick wrote:Thanks Tress! We always check her feet at the top and at the bottom and she has never had any cut paws (nor has she limped). After Yale she had a small scrape where her dew claw rubbed on her foot because of the booties ...

I've just heard horror stories about dogs' feet getting sliced open on the rocks and I'm paranoid. :(

Not Horror Stories- It can and does happen, though I'm pretty sure it depends on the type of rock and the steepness of the trail.

Many years ago my girlfirend of the time and I hiked up Mt. Washington in NH via Tuckermans with her/our dog Janis. Part of the way down Jan started limping, and when we checked her feet we found that several of her pads were shredded- very damaged. Jan had always been an avid hiker, and was in quite good shape- including endurance and foot toughness (or so we had assumed). Long story short I carried her the rest of the way down the trail (a 60# Shepherd/hound mix) to the trail head. Very tiring.

This summer my current dog Nellie (65# lab) has had two occurances of pad peeling on hikes . She too is quite fit (walks of 1-2 miles every morning, lots of frisbee catch, and frequent hikes) but certain trails give her fits. We carry doggie booties for emergencies on the advice of our vet, who climbs CO mtns with his dog. He suggests booties as an emergency measure, in the case that they start having problems and you need some remediation while on the trail. As Nel hates having the booties on (she prances on her back feet and is a shoe-in for the Ministery of Funny Walks when we put them on) we've saved them for extreme occasions.

I think our big concern is the combination of tallus and steep grades, or gravel and steep grades. Long distance doesn't seem to be an issue by itself, nor do rough surfaced trails without the steepness factor.

Postby LuLuLuv » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:09 am

Gatorchick,
I would love to come, haven't done Missouri. But I already have other hiking plans (a little hike, can't miss the Broncos game :D )
Have fun!

Postby cirquesmidjit » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:16 am

Here's what Boo thinks of booties...

Postby mountain ladies » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:23 am

Beautiful aussies. Roxie is an oversized mini aussie, too, at 19" tall. But she is big enough to accompany me everywhere and at 30 lbs, if worse comes to worse, I can carry her.

Thank you for the picture posting tool!!!!!

Postby jdegling » Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:03 pm

I've had to repair a couple torn pads although fortunately never on a long hike. He limped around like he had been shot until a squirrel was in the vicinity, but despite the over-acting it would have been a bummer on a 14'er.

I defer to the resident 14er Vet or others for better solutions, but IF it happens, I used regular neosporine and wrapped a non-stick gauze pad around his paw with some stretchy bandage wrap(about an inch and a 1/2 above the paw), and covered that with athletic tape (not too tight). He would at least put weight on it, and a new pad was ready in a few days. Kept this stuff in his backpack just in case.

Amazing how they all have their individual personalities and quirks. I remember my Vet encouraging me to brush my dog's teeth, saying it would get easier with time. Easy for her to say, since I'd be busy relearning to brush my own teeth with hooks in lieu of my hands.
"Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?"

Most Important GEAR.

Postby ATOMEMT » Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:13 pm

Sage's most important piece of gear....Bill's 14'er.com patch!

Postby rlw49 » Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:45 pm

Don't put anything on the paws, unless you know if it's harmless to the dog. As you know they'll chew and lick on the wounds. I've used Betadine Solution and dilute hydrogen peroxide to clean the wounds, and not use any ointment. However, I'll defer to the 14erVet on her thoughts.
Keep em safe

Postby Gossnath » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:56 pm

Good stuff.
I never really gave it much thought cause Jake's paws have never seen the least wear, but after reading this I think it might be a really good idea to at least carry 2 booties if for nothing but peice of mind.

Postby ccunnin » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:56 pm

My Alaskan Huskie has so much attention deficit disorder at 2 years old that I don't think she would know or careif her pads got worn down. She did Yale five times to my one without any difficulty. All she wanted to do was to get a squirrel. Crazy dog.
He who controls the spice, controls the universe.

Postby centrifuge » Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:49 pm

This is an awesome thread. I have taken my golden (6months old this month) up 2 14'ers, and have been very careful where she goes and have had not problem with her paws... but I also hike with her 2-3 times a week in Deer Creek Canyon. I have not taken her on the more rock strewn summits due to my concern about her paws. I had never even heard of Tough Paws before now thanks! I am definitly getting booties for the winter for her... speaking of the winter... what do other people do for avalanche protection with their dogs durring the winter? I have been thinking about what could happen if an avalanche were to occur and if my dog were to be caught in it. Is there anyone who has considered this, or I am I just over protective?

Oh, and the obligitory photo of my dog, her name is Kaida :D

Postby Tory Wells » Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:25 pm

I have taken my golden (6months old this month) up 2 14'ers

You should be careful doing strenuous hikes with her at such a young age. Most of what I've heard about it is 12 months is the minimum age for stressing a dog physically in this fashion. Not saying you'll run into problems for sure, but you should talk to your vet and see what they think.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach

Postby centrifuge » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:16 pm

I discussed this with my vet extensively before hand because I was not sure how to gauge when she would be ready to do a 14'er with me, and she said that as long as she is eating and drinking normally, then it is fine. Keep in mind that I hike with her 3 miles 2-3 times a week with 800-1000ft of elevation gain, with our vets blessing. Additionally, I did not take her up difficult or long 14’ers. I also watch her closely, if she is acting strange, than we would turn around.

PreviousNext