Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

dog gear question

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Postby mountain ladies » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:27 am

Tuff pad spray:

Does it help to prevent blisters?

There were no cuts but my dog got blisters on several pads. The affected pads were lighter in color at first, I thought they were scuffed. She was sore footed the day after the hike. Then after a few days some little circles of skin came off her pads with healthy but thinner pad underneath.

Postby gatorchick » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:54 am

Thanks for the info gang!!

Since we have never had any paw problems I think we will try going bootie-less on Missouri tomorrow and see how that goes.

And Tom, thanks for posting the pic of Sage ... you KNOW how I feel about her ... :D
Jen

"In her heart she knows that sometimes a dog can be as good as any man ..." - widespread panic (slightly edited)

Postby LuLuLuv » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:00 am

Hi Gatorchick,
You guys are probably on you hike already. We are doing well, taking a weekend off....LuLu had a bit of a respiratory issues and it was advised that we don't hike this weekend (going to the Rockies game,
GO ROCKIES). How is Maddie and her cute booties :D
Jen

Postby gatorchick » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:06 am

Jen - we are still around ... leaving this afternoon to hike tomorrow. :D

I'm so sad that little mountain goat lulu is sick ... she's such a trooper!

Maddie is good ... ready for #4 tomorrow! :D

Have fun at the Rockies game!
Jen

"In her heart she knows that sometimes a dog can be as good as any man ..." - widespread panic (slightly edited)

Postby LuLuLuv » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:12 am

kgmo cute pic
This was our trip last week coming down the Conundrum Coulior.
The first time I have had to carry her...being caught in a scree avalanche was not her idea of fun!

http://www.14ers.com/images/userpics/u2 ... 100800.jpg

[/img]
Last edited by LuLuLuv on Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby gatorchick » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:16 am

Awwww!!!! At least she is small enough to be easily carried!

That's why I don't think we can ever get a bigger dog ... Maddie is 55 pounds and about the limit for what I would want to carry off a mountain (and even that would be hard)!
Jen

Postby LuLuLuv » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:18 am

Jennifer
Are you guys hiking today?
Jen

Postby LuLuLuv » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:27 am

opps didn't see your previous post. Was trying to get that picture posted? Not sure what I did wrong? At least it's on there as a link???

Postby gatorchick » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:33 am

LuLuLuv wrote:Jennifer
Are you guys hiking today?
Jen

Tomorrow! Missouri west ridge with 14ergirl (and josh and maddie) ... wanna come?
Jen

Postby Two Headed Boy » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:02 am

ATOMENT - Beautiful tri. I now have a 2 year old red merle/tri. He is a mini but he weighs 40lbs so he's not that mini. Here he is on Huron. Great dog breed. Not as obedient as my German Shepherd was but way more personality.

Last edited by Two Headed Boy on Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby changingground » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:02 am

gatorchick wrote:Thanks Tress! We always check her feet at the top and at the bottom and she has never had any cut paws (nor has she limped). After Yale she had a small scrape where her dew claw rubbed on her foot because of the booties ...

I've just heard horror stories about dogs' feet getting sliced open on the rocks and I'm paranoid. :(

Not Horror Stories- It can and does happen, though I'm pretty sure it depends on the type of rock and the steepness of the trail.

Many years ago my girlfirend of the time and I hiked up Mt. Washington in NH via Tuckermans with her/our dog Janis. Part of the way down Jan started limping, and when we checked her feet we found that several of her pads were shredded- very damaged. Jan had always been an avid hiker, and was in quite good shape- including endurance and foot toughness (or so we had assumed). Long story short I carried her the rest of the way down the trail (a 60# Shepherd/hound mix) to the trail head. Very tiring.

This summer my current dog Nellie (65# lab) has had two occurances of pad peeling on hikes . She too is quite fit (walks of 1-2 miles every morning, lots of frisbee catch, and frequent hikes) but certain trails give her fits. We carry doggie booties for emergencies on the advice of our vet, who climbs CO mtns with his dog. He suggests booties as an emergency measure, in the case that they start having problems and you need some remediation while on the trail. As Nel hates having the booties on (she prances on her back feet and is a shoe-in for the Ministery of Funny Walks when we put them on) we've saved them for extreme occasions.

I think our big concern is the combination of tallus and steep grades, or gravel and steep grades. Long distance doesn't seem to be an issue by itself, nor do rough surfaced trails without the steepness factor.

Postby LuLuLuv » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:09 am

Gatorchick,
I would love to come, haven't done Missouri. But I already have other hiking plans (a little hike, can't miss the Broncos game :D )
Have fun!

PreviousNext