Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

dog gear question

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Postby k9powerlifter » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:35 pm

We conduct weekly conditioning with our police dogs...part of that conditioning is running on pavement to toughen the pads. We also hike the trails on USAFA for the same reasons. To date hundreds (collectively)of miles run and no ripped pads.
When people get scared they call the cops; when cops get scared they call K-9.

Postby LuLuLuv » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:25 pm

Hi jasper9890
It's LuLuLuv, how ya doing?
I use Pad tough on LuLu's feet and she has never had a problem. I get it from the Canine fitness and fun center on Leetsdale (not sure of the cross street, but it sits across from GW highschool). You could just go in and purchase some, I have even told Rhonda the owner that I have referred people there. I think it is 7 dollars for a bottle. The bottle I have has lasted pretty much all summer. Totally worth it!!! Princess LuLu just isn't into the booties.

Postby gatorchick » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:09 pm

Thanks Lululuv!!! We will pick some up tomorrow before we head out! :D

How is little Lulu by the way? She so stinkin' cute on the trail!
Jen

"In her heart she knows that sometimes a dog can be as good as any man ..." - widespread panic (slightly edited)

Postby Gossnath » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:24 pm

My lab has done 14 and I am continually amazed but his paws haven't shown any issues. It is really important to run/walk them on blacktop to keep their paws tough.
How long did it take for the "cold tail" to go away?
Jake got it from swiming in a river all day and his didn't go away for 3 weeks. I thought he really broke it. Looks more painful than it is.

Postby gatorchick » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:51 pm

3 weeks?! Poor Jake!

With Maddie it only takes a couple days ... last time we had the day immediately after the hike as a full droop ... the following day it was half way up ... and by the third day it was back to normal.

We run almost every evening on concrete so her paws are pretty tough already. :)
Jen

"In her heart she knows that sometimes a dog can be as good as any man ..." - widespread panic (slightly edited)

trying not to get banned?

Postby 14ergirl » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:54 pm

If you are trying not to get banned, why in the world would you ever say that. It didn't pertain to the subject! There are areas of Colorado where if your dog is on voice and sight control it is fine to be off leash. I am not trying to start another dog arguement, but why would you even say that! A responsible dog owner has their dog under control at all times, whether on or off the leash! And not that this matters, but you don't even live here! Dogs are no more a problem to our mountains than we are.
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right" ~GD
"Spay, Neuter, Rescue, LOVE!" "opt to ADOPT!!!"
http://www.rockymountainlabrescue.com

Postby cbinkley » Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:26 am

my $.02, word up to 14ergirl! No debate required, keep your Texans on a leash at all times!

I really feel like I need to get Mishka some booties, his feet have done very well on the five he's done, but I worry about a potential cut paw. Here's a pic of our tired dog on the side of Belford.

P.S. He's a Shiba Inu mutt, I dunno what the other half is.

Postby tress » Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:47 am

don't take the bait with the dog comment. This is good information, thanks.

Postby kgmo » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:38 am

gatorchick wrote:So as a vet would you say to go with the booties if the dog will wear them??

I suspect that water may have been an issue too. She did drink some but not as much as usual (probably because it was cold). We are going to do more stopping to hopefully get more water into her in the future. :)

Any other tips?

If the dog wears the booties well, I think they can be great. If their pads can tolerate the rocks, I think having bare feet is better. My dog did 21 14ers before he fell on Handies. He wore booties on Handies after getting a little pad sore the weekend before doing an especially long trip. Did the booties screw up his traction enough to cause the fall? I don't think I can answer that. Probably had more to do with marmot chasing (Bad dog!!) At anyrate, we had a lovely hike down the mountain after that. Image
After being up on Quandary with you the other night, I would say that your dog did not overheat even with the fleece coat on.
Failure is never as frightening as regret.

Postby Two Headed Boy » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:55 am

The other thing to remember, is that dogs can get altitude sick just like the rest of us. When it is cold, they tend to not want to drink as well as they need to in order to stay well hydrated.

I used to notice my dog use to not drink enough sometimes and I know it's not standard but I would give him gatorade on long hikes because he would drink a lot of it. I'm sure it is probably not good for them or something but I figured it was better to have a fully hydrated dog then not.

Also, I had an incident with the dog in the pic regaurding pads. First off German Shepherds are smarter than I am. I tought this dog to climb glaciers with me on rope, I loved him, he was awesome. I took him on a longer hike up a peak and had never had any pad trouble before with him until this time and it was almost out of the blue, I had been checking his feet regularly and saw no signs of damage and instantly two of his paws were bleeding like crazy. I had to carry him down the side of a 13er in about 50 yard intervals and it took forever, but he could not walk any further.

I took him on this longer hike early in the season and believe his paws were not built up yet.

Here he is drinking Gatorade

P.S. - vet girl from Pullman, are you WSU alumni or CSU or how did you end up in Pullman

Dog booties

Postby ATOMEMT » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:11 am

Lot's of good beta going on here. I think that if your pup is use to the hiking, booties aren't needed most of the time. Sage, my Aussie, tolerates the booties well, and benefits from them on the gnarly talus/scree sections. However, I try not to use them ALL the time...she preferes going commando really. She summitted 16, 14'ers this summer...21 total over the years...so her pads are good to go. As far as snow goes, the booties I have tried over the years never worked well...poor traction. I prefere to goop up her paws, on winter hikes, with "Mushers Secret". This stuff really helps keep the ice from forming on the hair between her pads. Just my 2 cents. PEACE [img]Tom&Sage.http://www.14ers.com/images/uploads/iu5 ... 085347.JPG[/img]

Postby ATOMEMT » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:14 am

PreviousNext