Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Gear Hall of Fame

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Postby Alpine » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:43 pm

I remember Holubar's too. When I was a youngster our family would drive from Longmont over to Boulder, to the store on 30th St by the mall.

Once I started working in high school, I bought my first pair of hiking boots there (Vasque Hiker II's), with one of my first paychecks when I got a grocery store job. Those boots lasted me over 20 years, and took me up most of my early 14er's. They still hang on my wall, to remind me of the early days.

Besides those boots, I will call out my old Chouinard 70 cm ice axe - still goes up almost all the 14ers I do, after more than 20 years. Its all scratched up, but I love it.
Last edited by Alpine on Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Alpine » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:53 pm

Someone mentioned not knowing when REI opened in Denver, and reminded me of something.

I should mention my Lowe Contour IV backpack, which I got at REI down on Alameda Blvd (I think it was Alameda), in 1986. I still use it on almost all my trips. Oh was I excited to get that pack! It has proved a good investment even though it seemed pretty expensive at the time.

So REI has been in Denver at least since '86. And I can remember my college friends mentioning that store in the year or two previous to that. I had never heard of it before.

Postby Alpine » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:10 pm

I can't believe I am doing this, but I've got a few more.

How about my first edition Borneman and Lampert 14ers guide?

Or my Jansport Supersack daypack which I just retired after 26 years?
Admittedly some the stuff I mentioned is just unknown junk to most, and not Hall of Fame material, but it is HoF in my book anyway.

Finally, I cannot believe no-one has mentioned Vasque Sundowners - I have never had a pair, but as long as that model has been around it almost has to be considered.

Postby Slow Moving Fun Seeker » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:17 pm

Alpine wrote:So REI has been in Denver at least since '86. And I can remember my college friends mentioning that store in the year or two previous to that. I had never heard of it before.

I got here in '84 and REI was there on Alameda then. My wife got here in '83 and REI was there then too. Then moved to Colorado Blvd & Mexico and then on to the flagship store in 2000.

Here's a site about Holubar:

http://www.oregonphotos.com/Holubar1.html

And early history of REI:

http://www.oregonphotos.com/REI-history1.html
We are not passengers; we are crew.

Great Gear

Postby Greenhouseguy » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:17 pm

Brunton My-Ti folding titanium spork. Classic.
"May your boulder be your blessing." - Aron Ralston

Postby Hacksaw » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:18 pm

Forrest Mountaineering, Ltd., LIFETIME ice ax.

It was the first ice axe with interchangeable picks....
"True love is much easier to find with a helicopter."

Postby walkinblooz » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:33 pm

Another vote for Marmot DriClime Windshirts.

I also saw someone mention Vibram soles, and I'll second that!

I'd also nominate Snow Peak's GigaPower stove and titanium cookware -- light, compact and (so far) dependable.

Postby rlw49 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:40 pm

Alpine
REI was on Alameda Blvd, a couple of blocks west of the Platte River on the south side of the street. Don't know what happened to him, but it was Clive (or Cleve) who fitted my wife's and I's boots. The early 80's

Postby Tim McMarmot » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:11 am

does anyone have a "classic" trekking pole they want to nominate? as my knees go bad, i've gotta buy a pair.[/quote]

My right knee is toast, so I use and abuse a pair of Black Diamond Contour poles. The angled grips do make a difference. One of mine gave its life for a successful mini-self arrest. I've found them on sake on a few sites - steepandcheap and moosejaw.

For other HOF gear, another vote for the Driclime jacket. Even though I'm an obsessive upgrader, I haven't considered any winter stove switch for my Simmerlite, so its in. Oh, and my Ventigaiters from Mountain Hardwear. Love those things in the spring and fall.

Postby jspydr » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:53 pm

The Trango Pyramid, best belay device I've ever used.
The Lord is my rock and my fortress...

Postby Alan Ellis » Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:26 am

lodidodi wrote:camelbak, north face zip off pants, digital camera, smartwool socks, vasque breeze low, mountain hardware cohesion jacket, north face apex jacket, Patagonia capilene base layers, my Nike compression shorts to keep my junk stabilized and my thighs from rubbing together, sunscreen, wool hat, vehicle to get me there

What are compression shorts? That sounds like a good idea.
Last edited by Alan Ellis on Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sack up and climb.

Postby Alan Ellis » Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:30 am

Smartwool Mountaineering Socks
Bandana
North Face Mountain Light Jacket (older version)
Vasque Sundowners
MSR Pocket Rocket
MSR Titanium Kettle
Croakie
Sack up and climb.

PreviousNext