Forum
Your purchase of a synthetic or cotton shirt helps support 14ers.com. Thank you!

Other ways to help...

Gear Hall of Fame

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Gear Hall of Fame

Postby peaks2paddles » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:11 pm

Just curious on what piece/s of gear you guys think is a "classic", the stuff that stands up through the ages as tried and true...Hall of fame worthy gear! TNF Cat's Meow bag, MSR Whisperlight stove, Marmot Dri-clime windshirt, those are my nominees.
"Not all who wander are lost..."

Postby Hunter » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:17 pm

Eddie Bauer day pack circa 1972

Postby yoak » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:21 pm

my Arc Teryx Bora 40.

Postby noreaster » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:50 pm

Iridium 9505A Sat Phone

Postby CO Native » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:01 pm

another vote for the whisper lite

also MSR Denali snowshoes

and not really gear, but a great product is Gore-Tex
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Postby telehead » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:10 pm

Marmot DriClime Windshirt

Dana Design Terraplane

Therm A Rest

and I know its somewhat recent but the Petzl Tikka headlamp is an instant classic.

Anyone remember the Sequel Twilight gore tex jacket? I had one for years and the thing was tough as nails, lightweight, and had this articulated hood that moved with your head. Very cool jacket.

I liked my Whisperlight but honestly the thing was kind of a pain in the ass. The priming, the extra weight with the white gas, the flare ups, the temperamental nature when it was cold. The only good thing about it was you could break it down to clean, which you pretty much had to do everytime you used it. And that little jet poker tool. How many of those things did you go through? 4?5? ;)

The Pocket Rocket has pretty much retired my whisperlight.
"Going where the wind don't blow so strange, maybe off on some high cold mountain chain"

Postby Geof3 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:57 pm

I'm in for the potential classic of the Jetboil... Very nice setup. If not this, as a stove, the MSR XGK.

Fritschi Freeride ski bindings

Any Arcteryx Bora pack

Black Diamond Cobra ice tools

BD ATC

MH phantom down jacket...

Marmot Precip jacket

BCA avy shovel with poles

TNF Tadpole 23 (and previous version) tents
Blue Steel

Postby Two Headed Boy » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:00 pm

Another vote for the Driclime Windshirt.

I loved wearing that thing with no shirt on, just the coat, it felt so good.

Postby Papillon » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:24 pm

Although it has nothing to do with climbing, I'd say the Coleman double-burner propane stove is a piece of equipment that stands the test of time.
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs

Postby lodidodi » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:59 pm

lexan spoon

Postby Geof3 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:00 pm

Papillon wrote:Although it has nothing to do with climbing, I'd say the Coleman double-burner propane stove is a piece of equipment that stands the test of time.

No doubt... who doesn't own one of those... Great piece of gear... (but hard to carry :wink: )
Blue Steel

Postby coloradokevin » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:34 am

Ahh... great thread idea!

Though, seriously, I can't buy into the idea of the NF Cat's Meow bag being a hall of fame member. Granted, I know some people love this bag, and I know that Backpacker Magazine gave it great reviews, but mine sucked! It was never as warm as it was rated, and it wore out more quickly than any bag I've ever owned (I must note that I bought it when it was a "new" bag, and they may have improved the design over the years).

My top hall of fame gear pick would be a Trangia stove... I use the Westwind setup. Sure, it doesn't have the marketing following of MSR, but they've been around for even longer! Simple, lightweight, indestructible (or nearly so). They work at altitude in CO, and they work in the cold, and they are simple enough for a drunk child to operate (note: I assume no responsibility if you let an inebriated child light this thing)!

Some honorable mentions:

1) Patagonia Capiliene

2) PUR (now katadyn) Hiker filter... I'd also include the similar "Voyager" model that was discontinued (err... recalled) several years back. A cost effective and efficient filter that has served me well over the years!

3) Ridge Rests (or even a cheap blue foam pad). Though I now have a Downmat for winter use, every true mountaineer has probably learned that, while not as cushy, the closed-cell pads will serve you well in the cold --- and at a fraction of the weight and cost of an inflatable! They don't leak, you don't need to inflate them, they are waterproof, and I've seen them adapted into making both a liter and a split over the years!

4) Zip-off "convertible" pants!!! I'd probably buy a dinner for whoever invented these! I couldn't live without them with our daily temperature swings in this state!

5) Outdoor Research Water Bottle Parkas. Lightweight and fairly cheap, these simple foam insulators have surpassed my expectations. Sure, it isn't a vacuum bottle, but they do a damn good job with a lower weight and more packable package! They work great for water, and other stuff... I use them to keep my freeze dried (or freezer bagged) foods warm while I eat them, and to keep the water in my Nalgene from freezing on very cold hikes. Being a fairly warm sleeper, the bottle of hot water that goes in my sleeping bag in winter is often inside of one of these insulators (a great compromise in warmth)

Next