Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

I need some pants!!

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Postby cblsttrotwd » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:50 am

Just curious...where will you be hiking this weekend Wink

I'll be in the Sawtooths this weekend. With or without pants. :D

Re: I need some pants!!

Postby Slow Moving Fun Seeker » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:38 pm

Does anybody have experience with the REI Winter Momentum pants? They are softshell fabric, a bit lighter and softer than the Mistrals. Also windproof to 40 mph (Mistrals go to 16 mph) and they are cut a bit trimmer than the Mistrals (but not too trim--still can layer underneath).

In any event, limited sizes of the Mistrals on on sale at REI for half off ($50 vs. $100). Mostly 36 and 38 waists, 30 lengths. There may be other sizes at individual stores.
We are not passengers; we are crew.

Postby Jon Frohlich » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:17 pm

I have a pair of REI Switchback pants that I use for snowboarding and very cold weather hiking. As a previous poster said they are not breathable. They are very abrasion resistant (thus great for snowboarding) and waterproof. I wouldn't use them for hiking unless the conditions are going to be very cold. Otherwise you'll be sweating like crazy. I use them for snowboarding in 0 degree conditions without another layer. That should give you some idea that they are very warm.

Postby strat1080 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:06 am

How cold are we talking? Active, or standing around? This is important. The MH Chugach previously mentioned make sense while stopped but you will be sweating in them while active unless it is really damn cold. Honestly I usually just wear light-weight thermal underwear under supplex nylon pants(with knee-length gaiters if dealing with snow) while active, unless we are talking heavy winds (sustained 30mph+) or ridiculously cold conditions(below zero F). I used this setup on a late October Mt Evans attempt when temperatures ranged from about 10-30F and was never uncomfortable. Actually my legs were heating up and sweating. My legs just don't really get that cold and find that anything that is waterproof or too insulating causes me to sweat too much while active. When inactive is another story, I would freeze my butt off with just this. A nice soft-shell pant like the REI Mistral or Acme would be nice as well. The Gamma pants by Arcteryx are supposed to be excellent if you can afford them. You can throw some poly long underwear beneath them for some more insulation.
Quit whining and move your %$# up that mountain.

Postby Slow Moving Fun Seeker » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:17 am

For me, the answer to "how cold?" would be for a winter ascent of Quandary or something like that where there might well be quite a bit of sustained wind, at least above treeline. That's why I was looking at the REI Winter Momentum pants--they have thigh vents if you overheat, but have very good wind resistance even though they are pretty light and soft.
We are not passengers; we are crew.

Postby cblsttrotwd » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:30 am

I ended up picking up some Lowe Alpine soft shells (I believe the Paradigms) at Sierra Trading Post for pretty cheap and have been very satisfied with them. They are very similar in 'weight' to the REI Mistrals. They worked great for hiking through blowing snow and with gaiters, hiking through a foot or two of snow at times. I'll always layer something underneath, but I have yet to be too hot or too cold. I also adore the suspender loops.
--------
"We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area"

Postby 14erFreak127 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:49 pm

I have climbed 100% of my 18 14ers in jeans. Why does everyone hate them?


Postby Jon Frohlich » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:55 pm

14erFreak127 wrote:I have climbed 100% of my 18 14ers in jeans. Why does everyone hate them?

If you take other rain gear that will keep you dry in case something happens then technically it's fine. However, they are heavy, hot, and not very comfortable to walk in for long periods. If they do get wet they won't dry out and you will get cold quickly (especially if you had to stay out overnight unplanned). People do 14ers in jeans all the time and get away with it. It's just not the most comfortable way to go in my opinion.

For winter ascents they are basically useless. The above only applies to summer. Climbing a 14er in winter in jeans is just plain nuts.

Postby rleclair » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:00 pm

I just picked up Patagonia Super Guide Pants about 2 weeks ago and have been pleased with them so far. They breathe well and are practically waterproof except if you're in a downpour - and that's in the summer months - much too hot for that. Perfect winter pants though... Best advice - go to Bent Gate, Neptune Mountaineering and see them in person, try them on, and ask the staff...
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wilderness is a necessity; and that mountain parks and reservations are useful not only as fountains of timber and irrigating rivers, but as fountains of life..."
John Muir

Previous