Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

GARMIN GPS OWNERS: Read This

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds
Site Administrator

Re: GARMIN GPS OWNERS: Read This

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:56 pm

MountainSlayer wrote:
BillMiddlebrook wrote:Yup, AtT maps are great and Roger has spent a lot of time creating them.

Bill - I was just trying to map some routes and tracks, but when I try to graph an elevation visual, BaseCamp gives the message "The current map does not contain any elevation data on the selected route(s)." Is it not possible to graph altitude gain with AtT?

Thanks!

Kris

I'm not sure since I don't use BaseCamp. Maybe someone else can provide an answer?
"There's no recess and no rules in the school of life" - D. Mustaine

Postby MountainSlayer » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:02 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote:
MountainSlayer wrote:
BillMiddlebrook wrote:Yup, AtT maps are great and Roger has spent a lot of time creating them.

Bill - I was just trying to map some routes and tracks, but when I try to graph an elevation visual, BaseCamp gives the message "The current map does not contain any elevation data on the selected route(s)." Is it not possible to graph altitude gain with AtT?

Thanks!

Kris

I'm not sure since I don't use BaseCamp. Maybe someone else can provide an answer?

Thanks, Bill. If I may ask, are you using MapSource? And, whatever you are using, does it allow for graphing elevation gain with Above the Timber?

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:06 pm

Hmm, I use MapSource but don't know the answer and can't check since I don't have my PC tonight. You might try sending an email to Roger on www.abovethetimber.com or maybe someone else can chime in.
"There's no recess and no rules in the school of life" - D. Mustaine

Postby MountainSlayer » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:25 pm

Thanks, Bill. I took your advice and already heard back from Roger, and he stated the software does not have a DEM (Digital Elevation Model). No biggie - it is easy enough to do rough estimates the old-school way.

Postby chrismjx » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:16 pm

MountainSlayer wrote:Thanks, Bill. I took your advice and already heard back from Roger, and he stated the software does not have a DEM (Digital Elevation Model). No biggie - it is easy enough to do rough estimates the old-school way.

I'm interested; did he tell you why a DEM isn't part of the software? I'm a student of GIS and I had never thought about it before, but a DEM would be rather useful.

Postby MountainSlayer » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:22 am

Chris,

It seems the software used to digitally load the maps did not include a Digital Elevation Model. Fortunately, I already owned National Geographic's TOPO!, which has it. TOPO! cannot, however, be uploaded to my GPS, but that had not been a concern when I purchased it, years ago.

Best,

Kris

Postby taylorbm » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:57 am

Hi everyone,

I've finally taken the time to finish creating a relatively complete Garmin BaseCamp file of Colorado 14ers (ranked, unranked, and unnamed for a total of 73), routes, and trailheads. Most of them are taken directly from Bill's Google Earth Master File and a few from Gerry Roach's book. There's also some other routes included I've seen in various TR's and incorporated for my own reference. They're sorted by range and color coded by class for easy viewing and quick uploading to your GPS. The map I use in BaseCamp is cotopo11 from gpsfiledepot.

Anyway, hopefully someone else finds this useful. I tried to attach the file but the .backup extension is not allowed to be uploaded. I've uploaded it to my public dropbox folder instead: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ndeq5hwhxvxi903/BaseCamp%202013-12-15.Backup

As always, mountain climbing is dangerous, use at your own risk, not guaranteed to be accurate, blah blah blah...

Brandon
--
Brandon

Postby scottda » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:26 pm

I've been using this for my Garmin http://www.miscjunk.org/mj/mp_cotopo.html
Has anyone else used this and compared to AboveTheTimber? Any idea what advantages AboveTheTimber might offer?
"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds." ~ Edward Abbey

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit" ~ Edward Abbey

flickr

Postby scottda » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:55 am

taylorbm wrote:Hi everyone,

I've finally taken the time to finish creating a relatively complete Garmin BaseCamp file of Colorado 14ers (ranked, unranked, and unnamed for a total of 73), routes, and trailheads. Most of them are taken directly from Bill's Google Earth Master File and a few from Gerry Roach's book. There's also some other routes included I've seen in various TR's and incorporated for my own reference. They're sorted by range and color coded by class for easy viewing and quick uploading to your GPS. The map I use in BaseCamp is cotopo11 from gpsfiledepot.

Anyway, hopefully someone else finds this useful. I tried to attach the file but the .backup extension is not allowed to be uploaded. I've uploaded it to my public dropbox folder instead: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ndeq5hwhxvxi903/BaseCamp%202013-12-15.Backup

As always, mountain climbing is dangerous, use at your own risk, not guaranteed to be accurate, blah blah blah...

Brandon

Brandon, I did download this file and I think it will be extremely useful. It is very comprehensive. Thank you for sharing this.

In regards to my previous post about Above The Timber. I have looked closely at the screenshots on the web site and the demo version, comparing to the free maps. ATT is a superior product to the free maps and I will be purchasing it. Perhaps the entire four corners map set.
Scott
"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds." ~ Edward Abbey

flickr

Postby taylorbm » Fri May 02, 2014 4:18 pm

Thanks! It seems a couple people have downloaded the file. Here is a new link since the old link doesn't seem to be working any more. https://www.dropbox.com/s/eu30dn109gkssg4/BaseCamp%202014-04-04.Backup

scottda wrote:
Brandon, I did download this file and I think it will be extremely useful. It is very comprehensive. Thank you for sharing this.

In regards to my previous post about Above The Timber. I have looked closely at the screenshots on the web site and the demo version, comparing to the free maps. ATT is a superior product to the free maps and I will be purchasing it. Perhaps the entire four corners map set.
Scott

Did you end up downloading the ATT maps? What's your opinion? I was looking into them and they do seem very nice. The level of detail looks excellent.
--
Brandon

Postby scottda » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:55 pm

taylorbm wrote:Did you end up downloading the ATT maps? What's your opinion? I was looking into them and they do seem very nice. The level of detail looks excellent.

I did buy the ATT maps. I think the detail is very good and having many of the trails built in has proven very helpful on the hikes we've done here. Particularly, when we've encountered snow fields covering the trail.

flickr

Postby Gene913 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:30 am

taylorbm wrote:Thanks! It seems a couple people have downloaded the file. Here is a new link since the old link doesn't seem to be working any more. https://www.dropbox.com/s/eu30dn109gkssg4/BaseCamp%202014-04-04.Backup

and the "new" link does not appear to be working any more either.
"If you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, and you say to this mountain, 'move from here to there,' it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you." Matthew 17:21

PreviousNext