Forum
Your purchase of a synthetic or cotton shirt helps support 14ers.com. Thank you!

Other ways to help...

GARMIN GPS OWNERS: Read This

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: GARMIN GPS OWNERS: Read This

Postby oldschoolczar » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:05 pm

Yes, I got an Etrex 30 a year ago and have used it on several hikes. It's pretty much the same as the 20 with a couple additional features (I forget what).

I really like it a lot.. great signal even in trees.. seems really accurate. However, I have one major problem with it... it's not a dealbreaker, but their UI needs A LOT of work. Turning on/off track recording is so cumbersome my friends get mad at me when I have to spend 5 minutes at the trailhead messing around with my GPS.. navigating through 3 or 4 menu items just to delete the old track and start recording a new track.. and I still get it wrong half the time and my track is combined with a previous track halfway across the state. Frustrating! But once you use it a bunch and get used to it, it's not a dealbreaker! Just my thoughts!
"Tonight I'll shave the mountain
I'll cut the hearts from pharoahs"
-Tom Waits

Postby MountainSlayer » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:14 pm

Many thanks, OldSchoolCzar. I purchased the 20, last night, and am looking to buy AboveTheTimber's CO maps, tonight.

One thing I just noticed on abovethetimber.com at the link {http://abovethetimber.com/index.php/support/install-windows}:

"1.It is strongly suggested that you use a card reader to load the maps, not a USB connected Garmin GPS receiver."

Can someone clarify the above statement? Many computers have SD card slots, so is a card reader necessary? Is it simply meant that a USB connection would be much slower than using an SD card (and reader if your computer does not have a slot)?
Thanks again for your input.

Kris

Postby tdliles » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:35 am

The Etrex 20 comes with a micro-sd card slot. I have a 30, so not sure exactly how much memory the 20 has. You can load more maps, tracks, etc, onto the micro-sd card. I think they are just saying it's faster to load the card from your computer rather than attaching the gps unit to the computer and loading the card while in the gps unit. If you buy a micro-sd card, it usually comes with a full-size sd adapter so you can plug it into a standard sd card slot. You don't need a separate card reader if your computer has an sd card slot. That's exactly what I do when loading a big mapset to the micro-sd card. Does seem a lot faster.
Tom and Stef

Postby oldschoolczar » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:02 am

MountainSlayer wrote:Many thanks, OldSchoolCzar. I purchased the 20, last night, and am looking to buy AboveTheTimber's CO maps, tonight.

One thing I just noticed on abovethetimber.com at the link {http://abovethetimber.com/index.php/support/install-windows}:

"1.It is strongly suggested that you use a card reader to load the maps, not a USB connected Garmin GPS receiver."

Can someone clarify the above statement? Many computers have SD card slots, so is a card reader necessary? Is it simply meant that a USB connection would be much slower than using an SD card (and reader if your computer does not have a slot)?

Kris

Keep in mind that there are some free maps that I think are pretty comparable to AboveTheTimber quality. I was able to find a set for Colorado last year and they are spot on.. work great and have a ton of features. I forget offhand where I found them, but I can try to dig up a link on my laptop later.
-Tom Waits

Postby TheOtherIndian » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:24 am

oldschoolczar wrote:
MountainSlayer wrote:Many thanks, OldSchoolCzar. I purchased the 20, last night, and am looking to buy AboveTheTimber's CO maps, tonight.

Kris

Keep in mind that there are some free maps that I think are pretty comparable to AboveTheTimber quality. I was able to find a set for Colorado last year and they are spot on.. work great and have a ton of features. I forget offhand where I found them, but I can try to dig up a link on my laptop later.

I used the maps from this post - viewtopic.php?f=4&t=32258&p=380790&hilit=garmin#p380055

They dont have the trails and waypoints but I use them from this site anyway. I can't comment on the veracity of the maps as I'm not an expert but I'll say I've never had issues with their maps in Colorado and Utah while hiking, as in there is a bump where the map says theres a bump or a lake where it says there should be one :)
"There's only one thing I hate more than lying. Skim milk. Which is water that's lying about being milk" -Swanson, Ron

Postby MountainSlayer » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:16 pm

Czar, Indian, and Tdiles:

Many thanks to you all. Your advice and the link to the topic "GPS and Topo! Questions" have been wicked-helpful, and I think I might be interested in taking my GPS use further than I had intended.

Although I did already purchase the CO/UT combo off AboveTheTimber, I will look more into the free stuff, too. I was actually able to load the ENTIRE state of CO via the Garmin-supplied USB cable to my eTrex 20 in a short 30 minutes, which sorta blew my mind. I am looking to get back out to Lost Creek Wilderness for the second weekend in a row, and am stoked to practice using my new tech.

Thanks again to those listed above, and to Bill M. and everyone in the "GPS and Topo! Questions" post.

Keep the fire in your pants and out of the forests,

Slayer

Postby oldschoolczar » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:02 pm

MountainSlayer wrote:Keep the fire in your pants and out of the forests,

Slayer

LMAO!
-Tom Waits

Postby my5sons » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:11 pm

Any help would be appreciated. Just bought the etrex 30 and dont know where I should start. Are there any good training videos for learning to use your GPS? What maps should I purchase and where?
Thanks

Postby chrismjx » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:21 pm

my5sons wrote:Any help would be appreciated. Just bought the etrex 30 and dont know where I should start. Are there any good training videos for learning to use your GPS? What maps should I purchase and where?
Thanks

I use the Above the Timber mapsets, and I've been very happy with them.

http://abovethetimber.com/

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:29 pm

Yup, AtT maps are great and Roger has spent a lot of time creating them.

Postby GerryRigged » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:24 pm

I have a question a little off topic also.
I have a Vista EtrexHCx that I got in a bundle with TOPO 2008 included. Why don't I see the conture lines on my GPS? I see roads but no conture lines. I have looked throught he menues but don't see anything that turns the contures on or off. If I load the CO TOPO demo I see conture lines there.

Postby MountainSlayer » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:53 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote:Yup, AtT maps are great and Roger has spent a lot of time creating them.

Bill - I was just trying to map some routes and tracks, but when I try to graph an elevation visual, BaseCamp gives the message "The current map does not contain any elevation data on the selected route(s)." Is it not possible to graph altitude gain with AtT?

Thanks!

Kris

PreviousNext