Nausea at altitude

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
oldschool
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (23)

Nausea at altitude

Post by oldschool »

I have been experiencing really bad nausea the last 2 times on 14ers. I never puked but sure felt like it was a comin'! I googled a few things and of course came across AMS....but several key symptoms, in my case, are missing. I have no headache, (which several googled sites said was a key indicator) and no fatigue other than what's "normal" at the altitude. My hydration is good (peeing pretty damn clear) and drinking on ascent. My food and water are all regular to what I've done on my previous 48 14ers hiked. I'm a runner and bike rider so heart rate stuff is well within limits. I'm able to carry on conversations while ascending so my heart rate is ok....so to speak. Also, as soon as the trail flattens out or descends the nausea subsides very quickly. It only starts around 12,000 ft or so.

Just curious as to any thoughts, ideas, science about this. The nausea is tough.....swear I wanna puke but never do. I make the summit and then on the way down the nausea subsides very quickly.

Thanks

Mike
"There's a feeling I get when I look to the West and my spirit is crying for leaving" Led Zeppelin
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Nausea at altitude

Post by Scott P »

I have been experiencing really bad nausea the last 2 times on 14ers. I never puked but sure felt like it was a comin'! I googled a few things and of course came across AMS....but several key symptoms, in my case, are missing. I have no headache, (which several googled sites said was a key indicator) and no fatigue other than what's "normal" at the altitude.

Also, as soon as the trail flattens out or descends the nausea subsides very quickly. It only starts around 12,000 ft or so.

I make the summit and then on the way down the nausea subsides very quickly.
If it only happens at altitude and subsides quickly when you descend, which is what you have said occurs, it is very likely related to (mild) AMS.

You don't have to experience all the symptoms to have some of them. For example, while at high altitude I often get a headache, but don't usually lose my appetite (unless I'm much higher than anything in CO), while others are the opposite. Different people experience different symptoms at times, and even the same people can have different reactions at different times of going to altitude.

Nausea from the altitude alone shouldn't kill you, but you can try acclimatizing more if possible, or try changing your diet. Many carbs and glucose are easy to digest at altitude. Fatty foods aren't. I don't know what you take to eat, but you could try changing your diet a bit and see if that helps. Taking extra time to acclimatize should help as well.

Good luck in the mountains!
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Mike Shepherd
14ers: 12 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Mike Shepherd »

Your description would be what I would describe mostly as how AMS effects me.

My first run in with AMS consisted of mostly hurling repeatedly while trying to sleep at elevation.

AMS becomes pronounced for me above 13,000 ft. For me the symptoms are usually in this order: dizziness, disorientation, nausea, and less often headache, sometimes no headache at all. They sometimes all happen, and sometimes just singularly. I have not been able to pinpoint why sometimes I just get dizzy, or just get nauseous. In one particularly bad bought I vomited and dry heaved six times, however this never stopped me from having a conversation.

Diamox has eliminated all symptoms for me and is a necessity, unless I were to spend several days acclimatizing. Your description of it subsiding on decent is pretty much exactly what I experience.

For some people I know AMS tends to be more transient and sometimes they experience it and sometimes they don't, and the symptoms are not always consistent or the same either.
Friends don't let friends wear microspikes
oldschool
Trip Reports (23)

Post by oldschool »

Thx for the responses guys.....

The thing that is confusing me is how this seems to be "new". In my previous 14ers, which now numbers 50, this has never happened. All of my food, diet, health, physical conditioning, and acclimitization time are more or less identical.

Also, as I'm ascending (hiking) and feel as though I'm about to puke (but don't) the simple act of stopping takes the nausea away very quickly. As soon as I begin to ascend and exert energy, I feel the nausea come on hard again.

Just weird to me.....
"There's a feeling I get when I look to the West and my spirit is crying for leaving" Led Zeppelin
Hiker Mike
14ers: 30 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Hiker Mike »

One thing comes to mind, and it happened to me. Perhaps you might have an undiagnosed medical problem that is causing the nausea? When was your last physical?

Mike
"Just because you love the mountains doesn't mean the mountains love you."
-Lou Whittaker
sunny1
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 225 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by sunny1 »

I agree with Hiker Mike.

If this is odd for you, it's possible something has changed within you. It would be a good idea to get it checked out.
It might be a good idea to have a cardiac check.
If it's negative, then you've ruled out a more serious possibility.
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.
onebyone
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by onebyone »

Hiker Mike wrote:One thing comes to mind, and it happened to me. Perhaps you might have an undiagnosed medical problem that is causing the nausea? When was your last physical?

Mike

Maybe a stress test (get your cardiovascular system checked out). Not a bad idea since you are getting older. Exaggerate the symptoms beyond altitude, so that your insurance will cover it.

For me, when anything is wrong it goes to my stomach first (i.e. jet lag). So the nausea could simply be telling your body something is up.
Good luck.
oldschool
Trip Reports (23)

Post by oldschool »

Good advice on the Doc checkup thing....I'm not the best at that. I hold a CDL so am required every 2 years to get a physical but the CDL physical is a joke.

Thx all
gjohnston89
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by gjohnston89 »

You're body very well could be suffering from some stressor unknown to you. It almost sounds like exhaustion because once you rest it goes away. Maybe the altitude and a few other things you arent aware of yet are causing your body to work harder even without raising your heart rate. Much like when your body fights the flu, you are exhausted but never really raise your heart rate.
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

I'd rule out AMS because it's linked to physical stress not altitude, key point being it stops when level out but are at the same altitude. Think it's time for a Doc Talk. You can look up "physical exertion nausea symptoms" to get an idea, but sounds like a bolt starting to rattle free which you only hear when load testing, or the tip of a rock you only see at low tide. The vagus nerve, for one, can link seemingly totally unrelated systems including cardio, pulmonary, and gag reflex. Ulcer? Appendix? Table of Contents?
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
ShaloinStyle
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ShaloinStyle »

Sounds like you need more electrolytes! Believe it or not but drinking only water (especially a lot of it in a shorter time span than your bladder is used to) can actually dehydrate you..it flushes all the salt out of your system. This can make you more prone to getting altitude sickness - and it varies from person to person but like others said, the symptoms of altitude sickness can be very relative depending on the individual-- maybe your version is just pure nausea and nothing else!

I use Nuun tablets, you can buy them at most grocery stores and sporting goods stores like REI. Other good options are gatorade mix or coconut water. Hope that helps!
aweskamp
14ers: 30 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (6)

Post by aweskamp »

Does this happen when you run or bike at lower elevations?