Head Lamp recommendations

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Head Lamp recommendations

Post by TallGrass »

wizzer wrote:I dont feel as though I need anymore lumen power, I'm not spotting animals at 100 yards. The idea of something heavier just to get 200-250 lumens doesnt make sense to me at all.
Lumens are like processor speeds in that they keep going up with manufacturers hyping it to sell more. The funny thing is the lumen output of all headlamps drops off noticeably early in battery life so what's claimed far exceeds average output. How many lumens do you need? Brighter light negatively affects night vision and I've seen some keep their headlamps on on pre-dawn starts well after you can see the trail well without them.

That's why I like adjustable lamps, and usually keep them on the lowest setting. Left the low batteries in my Coast one (only a on/off switch) because the dimmer light was all I needed inside the tent. For most, when it's dark you're either sleeping, tending to stuff in camp, or starting up (or coming down) an easy to follow approach. Retroreflective material (plastic-coated stuff is best) tied high on your tent will "pop" even with a low-intensity lamp.
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman »

I use a cheap headlamp from Home Depot. I also pack a good/bright handheld flashlight that is great for route finding. I need a backup light anyway so it is a perfect combination. It is nice to be able to see a few hundred feet away, looking for signs or trails.
unclegar
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (9)

Post by unclegar »

I have a Foxelli 280 lumen headlamp from Amazon that I'm very happy with. I saw another last time I was on Amazon that was 320 or something like that also for about $30. Charges quickly with usb.
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz
rob runkle
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 41
Trip Reports (48)

Post by rob runkle »

Thanks all for input. I ended up landing on the BD Spot. After looking at comments, and looking at some of the reviews, my first choice was: rechargeable or non-rechargeable. I really wanted to go with rechargeable, and I was settled on the Coast HL7R or the BD Revolt. Each had their advantages. But, I could not get over the fact that rechargeable usually means lower light output, and life. The battery technology has gotten dramatically better in the last 10 years, but it still just didn't seem worth it to me to go rechargeable, especially since they were generally a $10+ premium. I think if the BD Revolt was a 2016 model (style) like the Spot, I might have gone with it instead of the Spot.

I also wanted to stay with light weight, and the BD Spot is like 3.2 oz. The ratings on Amazon, and other places were also top. For $30 on Amazon, I figured that I could buy, and upgrade later, once I get confidence that the rechargeable are the way to go.
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

FYI, the Revolt can be used with non-rechargeable batteries too for a bump in lumens. My spares are alkalines so I'll have full pop if need be. You dont have to use BD's NiMH batteries either if you delaminate the bottom cm or so.
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Have to disagree on the idea that there's a point where more light is overkill. Happy to have the 575 lumen Nao while trail running fast down the hill. It's rarely on that high as it auto dims so not to blind me. Also my torches pull double duty when riding bikes and the brighter I am the better. My dedicated bike light is like 1200 lumens. I'd get more if I could.

Anyways just to point out there's realistic applications for more lumens.