Backcountry App Who is using it

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Flako
Trip Reports (0)

Backcountry App Who is using it

Post by Flako »

And how well has it worked for you?

I purchased the app last year and have only been able to use it a couple of times. Still having figured out all of its tools but so far it has been pretty great.

Now, im still wondering if I can download coordinates (like the ones found in this site) and combine with the downloaded maps portion.

Thanks for any input you might be able to provide.
pmeadco
14ers: 58  2 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Backcountry App Who is using it

Post by pmeadco »

I've been using Backcountry Navigator for a couple years now. All in all I'm pretty happy with it. There is a bit of a learning curve, and there are some things that I don't find to be intuitive, but it works well. Below is a screenshot showing routes I downloaded from this website overlaid on the USFS map that BCN includes in its list of possible map layers.

It is very handy to have. For example, we headed up Maroon Peak in the dark yesterday and missed the cairns for the turnoff from West Maroon Trail. I knew from the descriptions that I read that if we saw the "bent tree" we went too far. Well, when I saw that bent tree out came my phone. Yup, crap, passed it a few hundred feet back. No problem, back on track in no time. Similarly, when working the bands below the summit, it was comforting to occasionally check to see if we were on the correct route.
Attachments
BCN Screenshot.jpg
BCN Screenshot.jpg (318.88 KiB) Viewed 2215 times
Last edited by pmeadco on Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Somewhat of a Prick
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 84
Trip Reports (17)

Post by Somewhat of a Prick »

Great app. Definitely worth the $12
AyeYo
14ers: 13 
13ers: 13 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AyeYo »

It's terribly non-user friendly, but once you get over the steep learning curve it's a good app. I have the Caltopo annual subscription added, because the slope shaded maps are awesome. Checking slope and finding mines is typically what I use the app for. The distance measuring is pretty useful too and I like to mark waypoints at my camp areas or cool stuff I find off-trail.
Flako
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Flako »

Steep learning curve indeed, hehehehe

Is there a link someone could share with step by step instructions on how to do this? Im technologically challenged. :mrgreen:
AyeYo
14ers: 13 
13ers: 13 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AyeYo »

The app itself has a walk through on almost every screen, but I never really found those helpful. Your best bet is just messing around with it and seeing how different features work. You can't break anything.
Flako
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Flako »

Yeap, Ive been messing with it a bit. Note that pop up have not been helping much.

Hoping there would be something else out there that could help.

Thanks guys!
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ezabielski »

It doesn't look like anyone specifically answered your question, here's how I download maps and add a GPX file in BCN (at least, the basic steps):

1. Download the GPX file from 14ers.com (or wherever). Then I put it on Google Drive folder (in a GPX folder with a bunch of routes I've collected), open Google Drive on my phone and download a local copy of the GPX file.
2. Click the Folder icon in the top right, click Import Tracks or Waypoints. Point it to your GPX file on your phone (default download location is /storage/emulated/0/downloaded for me). Import it to the default database or start a new database (like "14ers" or something).
3. The GPX file is now displayed on the map. While connected to the internet, zoom out to show the entire route. Click the layers icon in the top right. Click Select Areas for Download. Drag boxes around the trail corridor. The larger area you select the more space you will use on your phone. I usually select a narrow band around the trail, and any additional areas that I might find myself (bail out routes, alternate trailheads, alternate routes, etc). Sometimes it's even helpful to download areas around the trailhead in case you get lost on your way to the hike.
4. Click the folder icon in the top right to start the download. Use the Max Zoom level of 16. Either save the maps to the main cache or a map folder. Begin download. Once that's done, you're set.