What car to get with good clearance?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: What car to get with good clearance?

Post by Scott P »

TallGrass wrote:Not "what car to get with good clearance"?
I was referring to only the little sub-conversation. Besides, if you read my post I was actually agreeing with you and your post. :wink: Off road vehicles, such as the Tacoma 4X4, really are a poor value for anyone who isn't going to use them off-road.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

FWIW, only non-truck or non-SUV I saw at the SCL TH recently was a Suby Outback (current gen) with coastal plates. Saw another at the Pearl Pass fork on the Castle road, along with other AWDs; everything beyond was 4x4 and truckish, and only three Jeeps (modded) and two Mercedes (rover-ish) at the upper to lots of Castle/Conundrum around 12.8k'.
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
mtnview
14ers: 27 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by mtnview »

2014 Compass has a traditional 6 speed auto tranny with real gears and around 9 inches inches of ground clearance. Agreed, only good for very mild 4x4 trails.

Still waiting for the teething pains of the Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk to be resolved (ie 9spd ZF transmission)

Regards
Allan A[/quote]

What advantage would the 6 speed have over a CVT in a car based wagon (such as the Compass or Subaru)? A CVT is like having a 1000+ gears, but the Subaru CVT feels more like a conventional automatic and can be manually shifted to hold gears (1-6). A CVT has many advantages (such as being much more efficient), but also some negatives, such as not working with high torque engines (which is why you don't see them in vehicles designed for heavy pulling, etc.). (Unlike the Subaru CVT though, the one in the Jeep didn't do so well and was quickly replaced after a few model years).

As far as the cost of replacing the Subaru CVT, it will be more expensive than in some vehicles, but it has been proven to be far more reliable than the automatic (or CVT) in the Compass. Further, the newer 9 speed used in Jeeps been plagued with many problems.[/quote]

Scott, my point is, and correct me if I am wrong, the system will cut power to the engine to save the CVT from damage, so you could be off roading up a hill and if there is too much stress on the CVT, power will be cut and you go nowhere. It is determined by the manufacturer setup of the powertrain not the operator. That I do not like.
Once the Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk has their transmission issues resolved it should be given strong consideration. The Trailhawk offers the most compelling features for a car based off roader. Good highway gas mileage and very capable off road abilities with a locking rear differential, very good BLD and 8.7 inches of ground clearance. With a small lift and larger tires 10 inches of ground clearance is easily attainable. Its main fault for serious off roading is a lack of articulation (compensated for by BLD) but us hikers are not really going to use it for that just, getting to trailheads and maybe the Alpine loop sans Mineral Creek. Check out some youtube videos on the Trailhawk off road, quite amazing what terrain it can go over.
The Trailhawk is a real innovative product but they tried to do too many new things. In hindsight they should of spec'd their most reliable 6-8spd tranny and started from there.
2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise (of his return), as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
http://www.truedino.com/colorado14ers.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
workmanflock
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by workmanflock »

Scott P wrote:
TallGrass wrote:Not "what car to get with good clearance"?
I was referring to only the little sub-conversation. Besides, if you read my post I was actually agreeing with you and your post. :wink: Off road vehicles, such as the Tacoma 4X4, really are a poor value for anyone who isn't going to use them off-road.
I used to use my Tacoma for real off road stuff. These days it is a great vehicle for packing tons of stuff for 1-2 week trips, hauling yards of dirt, compost, and rock, moving stuff, towing stuff, etc. It's 200k in and easily the best purchase I've ever made. Other than fluid changes that I do myself and one rack and pinion change it has had zero issues. It's been the best and most useful vehicle I've ever owned.
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

mtnview wrote:Scott, my point is, and correct me if I am wrong, the system will cut power to the engine to save the CVT from damage, so you could be off roading up a hill and if there is too much stress on the CVT, power will be cut and you go nowhere. It is determined by the manufacturer setup of the powertrain not the operator. That I do not like.
Hmm, that's interesting, and something I should have probably known about, as a CVT user. FWIW, however, I've never experienced this - not even at what most would probably consider the limits of Subaru territory. Usually, when I find myself losing grip on a steep hill, 9 times out of 10 shifting into "L", turning off traction control, and taking it slow will do the trick.