altitude acclimatization advice

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Voshkm
14ers: 19  4 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: altitude acclimatization advice

Post by Voshkm »

TallGrass wrote:
brichardsson wrote:
TallGrass wrote:There are folks like brichardsson who'll say don't because they had a bad experience once (or know someone who did)
That's not what I said at all. ...
This help?
brichardsson wrote:If you have a practice that works, stick with it. Lots of folks can handle going from sea level to 10k. Lots can't. You'd rather not find out your brother can't when he winds up yakking on day one. I just had that experience with someone on a trip. She drove up from sea level the morning of a backpack, and within hours she yakked. And so we took her down. Because really, if he gets sick, that's the option, to go down.
I would say it probably does help because now we don't have to scroll back to see what he said that was misrepresented by your summation... although it seems that everyone here is well intentioned
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

TallGrass wrote:
brichardsson wrote:
TallGrass wrote:There are folks like brichardsson who'll say don't because they had a bad experience once (or know someone who did)
That's not what I said at all. ...
This help?
brichardsson wrote:If you have a practice that works, stick with it. Lots of folks can handle going from sea level to 10k. Lots can't. You'd rather not find out your brother can't when he winds up yakking on day one. I just had that experience with someone on a trip. She drove up from sea level the morning of a backpack, and within hours she yakked. And so we took her down. Because really, if he gets sick, that's the option, to go down.
He was just pointing out that if it does happen, going down is the only option. I don't see where he said that someone will get sick if they go. You seem to be twisting his words a bit.

I have seen many (a few dozen or so) incidences of altitude sickness over the years (including one from myself-hopefully I learned my lesson).

Surprisingly perhaps, the worst case I have seen (which required helicopter rescue) was only from about 12,000 feet. Sadly, I knew what was going on, but he refused to descend saying that he'd be fine after he slept at 12K.

Such incidences of life threatening altitude sickness are rare at 12k, but not impossible. I have never seen another one that low.

Go anyway, but (as you said) descend if someone is getting sick.

Be aware and prepared, not paranoid. The same is true for all dangers in the mountains.

Anyway, Sean Nunn has made a very good and informative post on this thread.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
polar
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

Are you all trying to logic with OvergrownWeed? You brave souls...
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

Voshkm wrote:what he said that was misrepresented by your summation...
How so? OP mulled going up on Day 1 for a change instead of on Day 2. Brichardsson is playing up the fear of the OP's brother "yakking on day one" based on B's "experience with someone on a trip" saying "within hours she yakked" as if they'd have the same response. Again, it's like basing your dietary decisions on what someone else is allergic to.
Sean Nunn wrote:However, it is probably worth trying it once to see if you are one of the 20% or not. If you aren't then you are losing a lot of great days of hiking over the course of many years.
Another reason which the OP, his brother, Sean, and I share is the distance from the mountains -- those living in Colorado have a much easier time accessing 14ers. They can try next weekend, whereas it might be next month or year for us.

Some say don't climb the Deadly Bells, avoid Como Road, don't try for the summit past noon, don't start off with a Class 3 route, and other overbroad advice. Decisions are best made not by some generalizing some stat, but by considering the factors, conditions, people, etc. for that specific situation. In this case, basing it on how the OP's brother handles going on Day 1 (LL AMS worksheet) and descend if the situation merits, versus what happened to an acquaintance of a stranger on the internet.
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Always coming from NY, I can relate....I think equally important at least in my personal experience, is getting enough sleep, which while I have not scientifically proven, has impacted my ability to acclimatize faster. Given most trailheads are a couple hours from Denver, I'd vote for staying in Denver one night then driving out the next morning and starting then. Rest is often under-rated in success.
paul109876
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (12)

Post by paul109876 »

Living in Indiana (800ft) it is hard to fly in 1 day nd hike the next to a 14er summit.
For me, I've learned to wait at least 48 hours once I get to higher altitude 8000 ft+ before tackling a 14er. I will go out and perform some shorter hikes for about an hour or so at 10,000-12,000 ft by driving to some pass so I can get out quickly if needed.

This gives my body time to adjust, plasma levels change in the blood, blood vessels constrict ect. ect.

Then on day 3 I am ready to go. I am a big guy 240 ish and really have to take in some serious calories while gaining a 14er summit. I will burn in the range of 750-900 calories per hour depending on how how many vertical ft per hour I am gaining and hard I am pushing.

My last visit in Late June I tried eating clean foods, fruit, veggies- whole grains while hiking Democrat and crashed bad!!!!
2 days later I did Huron from Winfield and ate, fruit pies, Metrx Jumbo protien bars and MM's and jerky and killed it. Just physically tired when I got back to the car.

So everyone is different on how they react, but from my perspective learning more about myself and how to tweak things for success is part of the fun.

Every hike I record all kinds of details-rest periods before and between hikes- sleeping altitude- water usage, mileage, vertical gain, times, food and calories- blah blah blah to help me figure out what works and what doesn't.
Try waking up on the right side of the grass- that's a good place to start
Opinions are like A$$Holes- everyone has one, but some stink worse than others. So please, keep your opinion clean.
I work a lot of hours so I don't have to sleep outside and so I can go on vacation and be outside.