Hiking with bunions

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
sunny1
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 225 8
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Hiking with bunions

Post by sunny1 »

She should get her foot type/gait checked out and consider getting orthotics - flat feet or excessive over-pronation can contribute to bunions.
Orthotics have made a huge difference for me.
I also need firm soled shoes/boots.
Last edited by sunny1 on Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

Interesting thread. I have a bunion on my left foot - right foot is fine. Seemed kinda strange to have just a single one. Noticed it about 20 years ago and it has only started bothering me recently. Guess I need to visit a podiatrist....
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
workmanflock
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by workmanflock »

martinleroux wrote:Everyone's situation is different, but if a bunion's left untreated there's the risk of additional problems like arthritis, sesamoiditis or even dislocation, as mentioned above. And if surgery becomes unavoidable then it might have to be a more invasive procedure with greater risks and a longer recovery time.

I had bunion surgery (chevron osteotomy) in mid-April. Boot fitting had been a problem for some time but what tipped the balance was that activities like running and climbing were becoming increasingly painful. The first couple of days after surgery were pretty rough, but I was back to work after 4 days (desk job), hiking and skiing after 2 months, and running and climbing after 3 months. Just got back from a week climbing in the Bugaboos without any issues.
I've already got rheumatism Whee! What pushed you towards the surgery? Specifically, when did the pain become unmanageable? My own feet are a huge mess but wide shoes have kept the pain way down. I'm always wondering when I have to cross the surgery bridge. I'd post a picture of my feet but children frequent this site.
martinleroux
14ers: 28 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (2)

Post by martinleroux »

workmanflock wrote:What pushed you towards the surgery? Specifically, when did the pain become unmanageable?
Most people would have waited longer than me before having surgery. Hiking and easy scrambling were still okay, but the sesamoid bones had shifted out of place and some things had become very painful, such as smearing on tiny edges when rock-climbing, front-pointing on vertical ice, or landing on the big toe when trail-running. I don't suppose too many people would be bothered if they found themselves unable to front-point on vertical ice.

Also the podiatrist advised that if the bunion progressed much further it would have to be a different procedure (base osteotomy) with a much longer recovery time (no weight-bearing for a couple of months).
workmanflock
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by workmanflock »

martinleroux wrote:
workmanflock wrote:What pushed you towards the surgery? Specifically, when did the pain become unmanageable?
Most people would have waited longer than me before having surgery. Hiking and easy scrambling were still okay, but the sesamoid bones had shifted out of place and some things had become very painful, such as smearing on tiny edges when rock-climbing, front-pointing on vertical ice, or landing on the big toe when trail-running. I don't suppose too many people would be bothered if they found themselves unable to front-point on vertical ice.

Also the podiatrist advised that if the bunion progressed much further it would have to be a different procedure (base osteotomy) with a much longer recovery time (no weight-bearing for a couple of months).
Makes sense, I essentially gave up climbing when I decided to hold off on the surgery. As far as I can tell I already need the most invasive surgery one can get so I decided to be a dayhiker and trail run in boots.