Tent Reviews

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
eyekwah
Trip Reports (0)

Tent Reviews

Post by eyekwah »

I have started doing some backpacking this year and more hiking and don’t always have the car to store my un-needed gear before hiking like a tent. I have used the Marmot Aspen 2P tent in the past but that is 5 lbs and I am looking to lighten the load. With that in mind I am looking at these three tents as possible solutions. Two of them are 1P tents which would probably be my preference since I already have a 2P tent and the other is a 2P tent. I am looking at the 2P tent because of the weight. However, I am unsure due to the trekking pole requirements as I really don’t know how sturdy that would be. Plus this one I know I can easily store all my gear inside the tent with me and also there is room if I bring my dog. He is an 85 lb Weim.

https://www.rei.com/product/862421/rei- ... ome-1-tent" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.rei.com/product/895636/marmot-eos-1p-tent" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.rei.com/product/103518/big- ... -ul-2-tent" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So has anyone used any of these and what are your thoughts? For those that have any of these what are your Pros and Cons?

Thanks

David
Last edited by eyekwah on Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turtle Boy
14ers: 18  1 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Tent Reviews

Post by Turtle Boy »

You didn't mention price or weight requirements. Big Agnes is a quality brand but I hear you on the Scout and look forward to hearing from the folk who have used it.

I opted to spend a little more and bought the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1 (2lb 3oz). I purchased this model for a few reasons: a bit more room for when tent bound due to weather (turned out to be a prescient choice), side entrance for easier weather ingress and egress and a nice size side vestibule for the pack and boots. The first trip it withstood 40mph winds with huge gusts.

I liked the Copper Spur enough after thorough use in some pretty sketchy weather that I bought the UL2 for my wife and I. We just got back from a 5 day 4 night trip to the Big Horns where we had everything thrown at us at one point or another including large hail.

If I hadn't settled on the Copper Spur I would have purchased the Fly Creek UL1 (1lb 11oz). A friend uses this one and I've been impressed. However both of these tent models are pricey.
eyekwah
Trip Reports (0)

Post by eyekwah »

The weight requirement is under 3 lbs and the price point is under $300
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

A quick Google search turned up this page with a list of sub 3 pound tents:

http://blackwoodspress.com/blog/12796/d ... -shelters/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Other then some of the REI tents you've linked to in your OP, you'll be hard pressed to find a well built, name brand tent that is less than 3 pounds for under $300 and you may have to up your budget $50-100 (as with most outdoor gear these days, the lighter something is, the more it costs), or compromise and purchase a slightly heavier tent.

FWIW - I've owned almost a dozen tents over the past 20 years, including single layer and one non-free standing sub 3 pound tents and they've all had their pros and cons. The single layer tents don't breathe well and are prone to moisture build up in all but the driest environments and the non free standing tents are challenging to set up when it's stormy and don't hold up to wind as well as free standing ones.

These days I settle for 4-5 pound free standing double layer tents because they tend to be roomier, more durable, and easier to setup. To save on weight when backpacking, I split the tent with my climbing partner (or wife).

Just my two cents,

Kai
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
rocky
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rocky »

You may want to peruse this website. I've used the Squall 2 (which has apparently been replaced with new models) and love it.

http://www.tarptent.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rocky
south fork, colorado
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cruiser »

Just here to chime in and say that I've had really good experiences with tents that pitch using trekking poles. Don't let that feature scare you off if the rest of the specs on a tent you like are looking good. Pitching with trekking poles can be really nice side you can tension them up just like your guy lines.

Been lusting after one of these solo tents for a while now but I do so few solo overnights these days that I haven't been able to justify it.

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/sh ... cts_id=174" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Where ever you are... There you are.
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

eyekwah wrote:my dong. He is an 85 lb
You have an 85-pound dong?! No wonder you need a 1p++ tent!

The Six Moon Design's Lunar Solo is under 2#, LE is under $200, and easily fits 1p+gear. Trash bag gear and toss it under vestibule to let Fido in.

That http://blackwoodspress.com/blog/12796/d ... -shelters/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is a good place to start.
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman »

Getting a lightweight tent will be a big upgrade to your backpacking capabilities. I had enjoyed a Big Agnes Seedhouse tent, bought from Sierra Trading Post, for many years, until it got ripped to shred when hit by 70 mph winds on Castle (my fault for camping above treeline). Also prioritize upgrading your backpack. My son has loved a ZPack that weighs 6 ounces and carries enough for a multi-day backpack. For non-technical peaks, his overnight backpack weighs 10 pounds + food & water. It is a gamechanger when you can effortlessly stroll up a trail with all of your backpacking gear. It performed marvelously for Glacier Peak (35 miles RT with 10,500' of elevation gain), and Mt Olympus (45 miles RT with 9,000' of elevation gain). People with heavy packs either failed or were completely miserable on those mountains.