Hiking pants recommendation

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Hiking pants recommendation

Post by Dave B »

I only hike in Carhartts.
Make wilderness less accessible.
Hiker Mike
14ers: 30 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Hiker Mike »

I have found REI Sahara Cargo Pants to be excellent.

Mike
"Just because you love the mountains doesn't mean the mountains love you."
-Lou Whittaker
Receiver16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Receiver16 »

I've had several types of the convertible pants noted above. Most are similar - light, comfortable, functional enough. I'd try on a few to assess minor differences in fit/function before deciding, if you're looking to make a single purchase, and check online for best prices if you're concerned with cost (STP, Camp Saver both good options.) While I otherwise like the version from EMS that I have, the built-in belt is awful -- buckle comes undone all the time.

But I ultimately wear those more for around-town or casual hikes these days. My biggest issue is they are very loose fitting in the legs but also (in most cases) don't stretch at all. I don't love that feel, and it can get in the way.

I ended up trying out a pair of the Marmot Scree pants and really like them. Snugger fit, better water resistance, warmer while still breathable, and stretchier for more vertical terrain or scrambling. Plus, they come in different lengths. It'll definitely cost more than fifty bucks, but you can probably get it for less than the list price and it's worth the difference in my experience. (Show up at backcountry.com for $82 right now in some sizes.)

EDIT: meant to add, there are other, similar options. Many often at a steep discount at STP if you use their promo codes. Just order them to the store (free shipping), pop down there and try them, and immediately return the ones you don't want.
Last edited by Receiver16 on Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bichito
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bichito »

I have kuhl pants from 10 years ago that refuse to die. Even from 6 years ago. But nowadays I agree: carhatts or some sweet deal from stp
SuperiorTrailHiker
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SuperiorTrailHiker »

You should probably just hike in a kilt and get it over with.

utkilts.com

Never looked back.
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

MtnHub wrote:But the trouble I have with them or any others I've seen, is none have any elasticized waist. Are there any out there like that?
The WS Rocky Ridge (see above) do on the sides, front/back are static. Stays in place without a belt so long as you don't have anything heavy in the pockets.
Rick Canter wrote:I need a few lightweight belts that stay snug, and if they are sold independently from any pants, I would scarf them up. Any suggestions?
Search (images too) for "military web belts." Tabs and buckles can be bought separately for DIY, or take some climbing webbing and tack in a couple D rings on the ol' sewing machine. Even sun-bleached webbing cleaned off a peak have years of Pants Duty left in them. :mrgreen:
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

I have a pair of the Marmot Transcendence Convertible Pants which I've owned for years and haven't let me down yet. They want $80 a pair for the new version on Marmots website, but I think the MSRP was only $50-60 when I bought mine. Of course you could do as I did and look for them on a super sale and get them for half price or less.

https://marmot.com/products/details/tra ... t-32inseam" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Personally I would stay away from the hiking pants with the elastic waist and get ones with belt loops (like the pair I mentioned above) or if they're elastic waisted make sure they have the built in belt as well. I find that I need a belt on my hiking pants when carrying a heavy backpack or scrambling as my pants tend to want to slide down and I have to keep pulling them up.

For this I have the Marmot Zodiac belt which is made of nice quick dry nylon webbing:

https://marmot.com/products/details/zodiac-belt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyway that's my two cents.

Good luck in your quest,

Kai
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick
polar
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

Like gspup and Receiver16, I've had a bunch of those quick-dry convertible pants over the years, but I just hate how they feel (baggy, loose, no stretch, etc). Since this is pants we're talking about, fit is more important than anything else. What works for me may or may not work for you. The best bet is go to a store and try on a whole bunch. Luckily, I have Mountain Hardwear outlet about 10 minutes from my house...

My current favorite is the Mountain Hardwear Chockstone pants. Fit my birdie legs really well, soft, and stretchy. They fit so well I don't even need to wear a belt with them. They are always the first pants I reach for when I go hiking or climbing. Plus I got them from 6pm.com last year for $45. In fact, 6pm.com still has two left, but in size 42 only.
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
PaliKona
14ers: 20 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

^^^^ saw 6PM also has the Mesa Pants. Are those good or too light/flimsy?
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I've gone to hiking in flannel pajamas from WalMart. They are very cheap and there are no hiking pants that are that comfortable. Nice and flexible for the technical stuff as well.

I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
polar
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

PaliKona wrote:^^^^ saw 6PM also has the Mesa Pants. Are those good or too light/flimsy?
Don't have any personal experience with the Mesa pants, but from the description, I would guess those are the baggy, loose fit, quick-drying type of nylon pants.
Relaxed fit gently drapes off the body for comfort during both exercise and everyday activity.
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

Updated w photo
Last edited by TallGrass on Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.