Steripen vs. Classic Water Filter

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Steripen vs. Classic Water Filter

Post by ezabielski »

To me, being immune to giardia has got to be one of the greatest genetic (?) gifts you can have as a backcountry traveller. I didn't filter/treat water for hundreds of miles at a time on the PCT (as well as most alpine sources in Colorado), and I didn't get sick. At this point, I really hope I am one of the gifted. Cause that would be awesome.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

I too have had a Steripen, actually two, with poor reliability issues. That was a few years ago, maybe they have since improved the device. I've also used just about every type of water cleaning method over the years (from nothing at all, to boiling, filtering, pumping, Steripenning, iodine, chlorine pills…but haven't used Aquamira drops yet). Where have I ended up?

-First, consider the core issue: Do you even need to bother? I think most of the advice articles REI puts out are geared toward novices, but they have posted a somewhat provocative article that suggests the you-must-filter-every-drop philosophy may be flawed:

http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/water-risks.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's a summary of a body of research on the issue. Do a little research on your own, you might conclude that the every-drop-is-infected viewpoint is really overdone. But of course the water filter companies don't want to talk about that, their business is fundamentally based on fear.

-But of course the other pole is probably equally naive, never using any method is a possible invitation to really icky maladies (although I've only known one person who got giardia, and that was on a hike out of the Baltoro in Pakistan). So for the last few years I've been using chlorine dioxide tablets, specifically Katahdyn tabs. No moving parts, super light, no mixing at all, effective (eventually) against everything, including cryptosporidium if you wait 4 hours (personally I think the crypto risk is really overstated in most areas, but that's just me). I personally don't find the taste an issue, I tend to mix in a sports drink anyway, and all I do is wait 30+ minutes, easily done if you give any thought at all to planning ahead, e.g. drain your last water to top off the thirst tank, then fill and treat the bottle.

-Fully aware many will scoff at tablets, they're not cool devices, and some scoffers have even done a painstaking cost analysis. They miss the point. It's about freeing up space in the pack, freeing up pumping time, lightening up the load on your back. And tabs work: I was very recently on an outing where the river water was described as "thick and hearty." :lol: Ranching upstream, silty stuff. The tab-treated treated water on my solo hike out was like nectar to my parched throat. An anecdote? Sure, can't rely on that, but there's no dispute they will kill everything. Even when there's nothing to kill in the first place.

As always, just my .02.

-Tom
painless4u2
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

Here's the real problem with Steripens and tablets/drops:
yucky water.jpg
yucky water.jpg (122.33 KiB) Viewed 3476 times
I've used all of them (pumps, tablets, liquids, Steripen, nothing) and at times must use water that's less than pristine. I've settled (like many here) on the Sawyer Mini. Superlight, small, cheap, quick, and backwashable. And it gets out all those floaters.
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

painless,

Yes, the Sawyer crowd is quite zealous in its devotion. Floating debris? Bandana, I carry it anyway. Then treat. Gets out visible debris and most silt. Others use a coffee filter, each to his/her own. Yes, yes, I know…micron filtration! "You're drinking microscopic poop!!" Eh, never had that become a problem, if a source really had floating poop immediately nearby I'd almost certainly forego it and gut it out.

But again, it's more a philosophical issue. No doubt the Sawyer and similar others are relatively lightweight and effective, but it cannot compete on weight or size with tabs. 4 tabs in the foil pouch is 3 grams. I've had a Sawyer and returned it, just overkill to me. I know, I'll soon attract a swarm of Sawyer-ites :lol: , but the weight and clutter issue issue has grown in importance to me over the years, I favor simple, light and bulletproof. The delay-in-drinking issue isn't an issue to me, I just plan a slight bit ahead. And the yer-gonna-die-from-giardia argument? Most of what I've read about giardia is that a significant percentage of documented cases was caused by poor personal hygiene in the backcountry, not contaminated water. I dunno, I've never had an issue with water…guess I need to drink straight out of your puddle to test that conclusion. :shock:

No offense at all to the Sawyer (or Steripen, or other..) filter crowd, I just favor a simpler, very effective alternate approach.

-Tom
pbakwin
14ers: 56 
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (19)

Post by pbakwin »

+1 for chlorine dioxide or, most often, no treatment. Studies show that most water is good if there's no livestock. I usually do not treat in the high mtns, but am careful about sources. If in doubt just drop a tablet in and wait 30 min or so. 4hrs is overkill, as that is worst-case (very cold water, etc.) Plus, if you're worried about it just double up on chemicals. I've drunk water treated this way from the Colo River in the Grand Canyon and the Green River in Canyonlands. These sources would be very hard to treat with a filter due to silt (coffee filter clogs up immediately). I doubt Steripen would work either. I've never gotten sick using these methods (mostly not treating). Just today I filled at that lovely little spring just above Green Mtn Lodge in Boulder Open Space.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

TomPierce wrote:painless,

Yes, the Sawyer crowd is quite zealous in its devotion.<snip>

I'll soon attract a swarm of Sawyer-ites :lol: ,
<snip>

No offense at all to the Sawyer (or Steripen, or other..) filter crowd, I just favor a simpler, very effective alternate approach.
So shall we refer to you as a Tablet Zealot? Or would you prefer something else? :mrgreen:
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

Tablet God works just fine, thank you very much. :lol:
pbakwin
14ers: 56 
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (19)

Post by pbakwin »

Wasn't Moses big on tablets???
climbingaggie03
14ers: 5 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingaggie03 »

I've gotten giardia in the states, from a beautiful, clear, running stream. That I found out later was just down stream from a goat farm. I've also gotten away with accidentally not treating my water for a week and not gotten sick at all. And I don't think I would drink out of that mucky source no matter what the treatment method unless my life depended on it...
Brian C
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (25)

Post by Brian C »

I have also gotten giardia from seemingly clean alpine water here in CO. I simply carry a bottle of iodine tabs and they work great. No moving parts or batteries to let me down.
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rdp32 »

I also use the katahdin Chlorine Dioxide tablets and agree that they are the way to go... for the clear, high, mountain streams that I typically encounter. If I venture to more suspect areas, I will consider getting a small filter as well.
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

I don't choose between filter or ClO2 tabs; I pack both. Filter lets you drink water now without waiting 0.5-4 hours nor restricted to the volume of the containers packed. Six foil-packed ClO2 tabs are so stupid small and light to fit even the smallest 10E med kit (+ hand sanitizer mini-bottle). I've had Sawyer bags break (switched to tabs) and had dehydration prolonged waiting for ClO2 to do it's job (pre-Sawyer). If you count matches (fire, boil), I always have three treatment methods now.
ezabielski wrote:To me, being immune to giardia has got to be one of the greatest genetic (?) gifts you can have as a backcountry traveller. I didn't filter/treat water for hundreds of miles at a time on the PCT (as well as most alpine sources in Colorado), and I didn't get sick. At this point, I really hope I am one of the gifted. Cause that would be awesome.
There's a BIG difference between having immunity ("capability of the body to resist harmful microorganisms or viruses from entering it") and being an asymptomatic carrier (infected, no symptoms, but can transmit to others).

- Giardia symptoms appear within 2 days and last over 6 weeks and can include violent diarrhea, excess gas, stomach or abdominal cramps, upset stomach, and nausea with varying severity. "Coexistence with the parasite is possible (symptoms fade), but one can remain a carrier and transmit it to others."

- Can a leash can save your car's upholstery? "Dogs have a high infection rate, as 30% of the population under one year old are known to be infected in kennels." Talked with a guy in Minturn (Holy Cross) who said his dog gets giardia every year from drinking untreated water while out hiking and that it wasn't pretty. Do dogs observe the 100' rule regarding water sources?

- How high up do you see pika and marmot? Rodents are prime carriers. Below is an infected gerbil's intestine.

- How high before water's safe? How far "upstream" in a given watershed does this site focus on reaching (some with dogs)?

- Could "poorer rates of carbohydrate absorption in those asymptomatically infected" make a low/no-carb or Paleo diet preferable?

- As it's possible for an infection to "resolve without treatment" but also "coexistence with the parasite is possible (symptoms fade)" but the infection persist, how would one know if they're clear or carrier? Or their hiking partner (or their back country diligence)?

For me, it's just easier to pack water in and or treat ALL that's sourced along the hike. Good habits = ounce prevention. I've found flu and "bad takeout" have symptoms worth NOT revisiting.
Last edited by TallGrass on Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."