Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

123Mountain?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

123Mountain?

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:24 pm

Pardon my ignorance (being a country boy from the backwoods hicktown down south o' the big D) but anyone have any experience with 123Mountain?

They have a heck of a sale price on an item I'm interested in. I see they have no returns on sale items, and I was not necessarily planning on driving up to the store.

Pretty good folks to deal with? Will they return a sale item if you bought it online and there is a defect or problem with it?

Thanks!

Re: 123Mountain?

Postby Wildernessjane » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:40 pm

I have never ordered anything online from them, but I have been into the Lakewood store on numerous occasions. It's a small, family-owned and operated business and the owners have always been extremely friendly and helpful. I can't imagine you would have a problem returning something that was defective, but you could call just to be on the safe side.

Edit: Online shopping reviewers on Yelp do not have very positive things to say.

Postby AOSLETTO » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:16 pm

As a former employ, trust me when I say avoid that place at all costs. They are a mostly online business with just a small store front, no knowledgable employes, no customer service. The owners/managers did not even want me to give out their names??? To anger customers that would call daily! Trust me google the reviews about that place. If you are looking for a good local place I would recommened bent gate in golden. Everyone there loves what they do, and knows what they are talking about when it comes to anything your gonna need for the outdoors. And you can return stuff!
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:19 pm

Wow, thanks. You're right. Checked the site - lots of people had problems.

The retail price on the item is $350. BCdotcom wants $245. 123Mountain is advertising at $149. One poster said "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is." Apparently the company has even tried to forgo credit card purchases (by saying there was a problem with the card) in favor of wire transfers for online items.

Think I'll steer clear. Thanks for potentially saving some headaches!

Postby Dakota » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:30 pm

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:Wow, thanks. You're right. Checked the site - lots of people had problems.

The retail price on the item is $350. BCdotcom wants $245. 123Mountain is advertising at $149. One poster said "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is." Apparently the company has even tried to forgo credit card purchases (by saying there was a problem with the card) in favor of wire transfers for online items.

Think I'll steer clear. Thanks for potentially saving some headaches!

I have been debating an item on BC that costs the exact same retail and sale price as you! :shock:
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.
-Albert Einstein

Postby RobertKay » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:44 pm

I just bought a pair of Millet Everest Summit GTX boots from them and had almost no problems. The only reason I bought from them was their price was good. Before I bought the boots I had questions about their warmth vs the La Sportiva Olympus Mons. I used their online chat to ask and got some canned mumbo jumbo about how long Millet has been in business and that guides in Chamonix use Millet equipment. I told the rep that that was not useful information and that I wanted to know how the warmth compared. Her reply was that "I was wrong and she had given me very important information". Their site said the boots I wanted were in stock so I bought them. A day or so later I received an email stating that they were not actually in stock but were coming from their supplier and I'd have them within a month. I was pleasantly surprised when they arrived after about 10 days. Fortunately I was not in a panic to get them.

I've been to their store at Copper Mountain and the lone staffer is usually busy texting or playing a game on her phone.

I'd probably avoid buying off their website and stick with in-store purchases that I knew I wouldn't need to return. FWIW, I always advocate buying locally to support your local economy but we don't have stores in Lincoln, NE that carry most of the gear or clothing needed for climbing.
Last edited by RobertKay on Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peakmarker.com

Postby Tommy Dorr » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:49 pm

A race to the bottom will take you straight there.
"Try not... do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"When the Power of Love overcomes the Love for Power, then the world will Know Peace." - Jimi Hendrix

Postby Dakota » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:52 pm

RobertKay wrote: I used their online chat to ask and got some canned mumbo jumbo about how long Millet has been in business and that guides in Chamonix use Millet equipment. I told the rep that that was not useful information and that I wanted to know how the warmth compared. Her reply was that "I was wrong and she had given me very important information".

Did you catch her name? Was it Siri? I know a Siri that tells me I'm wrong daily in one form or another. ](*,)
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.
-Albert Einstein

Postby RobertKay » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:00 am

Dakota007 wrote: Did you catch her name? Was it Siri? I know a Siri that tells me I'm wrong daily in one form or another. ](*,)

Nope, but I've got her trained. You can tell Siri what you would like her to call you. She now calls me "The Great One"! :lol: :lol:
Peakmarker.com