Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Ultimate Direction Vests

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Ultimate Direction Vests

Postby jomagam » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:17 am

Just got the medium size vest (Scott Jurek), only to realize that hydration bladder was not included. Any recommendation on which one to get ? I still have the one from my Wasp, but I hate that it so frequently leaks from the top because there's no good way to close it. I know that UD has hydration packs, but assume that other companies' stuff would work as well. Thanks !

Re: Ultimate Direction Vests

Postby AndyJB444 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:35 pm

Why not just use the included bottles?

Postby FireOnTheMountain » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:59 pm

Ya buddy, IMO bladders suck.
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the CO

Postby tlerunner » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:55 pm

Been using mine (PB model) now for a few months. Love the bottles on the front.

Postby HuskyRunner » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:32 pm

Yeah, that roll top bladder from the Wasp is pretty bad, otherwise it's a decent pack. I've been using a Nathan bladder from an old running vest, about the same size as the one from the Wasp but the Nathan bladders actually close!
"I made up my mind not to care so much about the destination, and simply enjoy the journey." David Archuleta
"And if they get out there they see, son of a bitch, this is a beautiful planet." Jim Whittaker

Postby jomagam » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:42 am

AndyJB444 wrote:Why not just use the included bottles?

I can carry 40 oz in my hands, but not 110 (20+20+70 in the bladder).

Postby AndyJB444 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:06 am

Hands? The bottles go on the vest and just put a UV purifier in the pack. Done. You're bound to cross a couple streams or other water sources along the way if you're going longer than 5 hours - unless you're running in the Sahara.

If you're determined to deal with a bladder then you'll want to stay on the small size - I don't think anything bigger than 70oz will fit. Lots of non-roll top options from CamelBack, Osprey, Platypus, etc...

Postby davidponak » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:40 am

It took me for ever to realize the velcro area behind the side pockets can also be used to hold bottles if you want to carry 4, normal round bottles start to bruise my chest after 25+ miles so I discovered (during a race) you can move the bottles sort of along side the pack. It looks like the SJ is designed the same way as the PB vest I have as far as I can tell minus an elastic loop for the top of the bottles so it should work in theory.

Postby jomagam » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:57 am

AndyJB444 wrote:Hands? The bottles go on the vest and just put a UV purifier in the pack. Done. You're bound to cross a couple streams or other water sources along the way if you're going longer than 5 hours - unless you're running in the Sahara.

If you're determined to deal with a bladder then you'll want to stay on the small size - I don't think anything bigger than 70oz will fit. Lots of non-roll top options from CamelBack, Osprey, Platypus, etc...

Yeah, I don't mind having a bottle up to a liter in my hands. What UV purifier do you use ?

Postby AndyJB444 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:39 pm

Cool, in full disclosure I run with the PB vest... I have had good luck using the SteriPEN Adventurer pen, but just be careful about not dropping it too hard as I've had the lamp crack on me once.

Postby pbakwin » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:49 pm

Glad people are liking the vests! I've had good luck with AquaMira - just another option. One way to go for added water capacity (if you're doing a long desert run or whatever) is to get a couple of inexpensive, 1L Platypus bladders. You have to stop to fill your bottles from these, but it doesn't take long. With multiple bladders you can carry exactly what you need.

Postby tlerunner » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:29 pm

My only complaint is that the zipper pulls come off too easy. Looking for an option to replace them with ...

Next