Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Leeches!

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Leeches!

Postby nyker » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:04 pm

So,

For those who have hiked in areas where leeches are common - what have been the best techniques to avoid these buggers?

I've read, though have not tried that applying deet on socks and pants is supposed to help or that a "leech gaitor" or pantyhose :shock: helps prevent them.

Also for removing them once they've "attached" that similar to slugs, salt is helpful in removing them.

The last time I was in wet rainforest, I had a dozen on my legs which was a pretty gross experience that I'd care not to repeat. :-&

Happy to hear any and all leech advice and experiences!

Location: Way Up High In The Mountains (On The Alpine Loop) And Down By The Sea (In San Clemente)

Re: Leeches!

Postby San Juan Ron » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:15 pm

Not sure about your questions, but leeches make great bait when I am fishing for Walleye in the Dakotas. :mrgreen:
SJ Ron

Postby Scott P » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:19 am

Also for removing them once they've "attached" that similar to slugs, salt is helpful in removing them.

That's about it.

I've read, though have not tried that applying deet on socks and pants is supposed to help or that a "leech gaitor" or pantyhose :shock: helps prevent them. The last time I was in wet rainforest, I had a dozen on my legs which was a pretty gross experience that I'd care not to repeat.

Doesn't work for me, possibly because in the really wet rainforest, perhaps deet gets washed off legs too quick. If you're really wet and not expecting any dry trails, I assume neoprene socks will help, but somehow those things can get in other places. Going to the bathroom in places like the Sumatran jungle was an unpleasant experience. You would always get at least one leech no matter what you did.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby edhaman » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:33 pm

I thought this was a thread about the leeches who are always trying to raise taxes and charge user fees in Colorado.

Postby Mark A Steiner » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:55 am

nyker wrote:So,

For those who have hiked in areas where leeches are common - what have been the best techniques to avoid these buggers?

I've read, though have not tried that applying deet on socks and pants is supposed to help or that a "leech gaitor" or pantyhose :shock: helps prevent them.

The last time I was in wet rainforest, I had a dozen on my legs which was a pretty gross experience that I'd care not to repeat. :-&

Happy to hear any and all leech advice and experiences!

You need to stay out of the tropics, Rob. Organic Hoover vacuums are hard to reason with.

SJ Ron is right on about Walleyes - and right next to ND and SD are numerous "Leech Lakes" in MN.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Good day.

Postby SuperiorTrailHiker » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:50 pm

Same drill used for ticks should do it - pants tucked into socks, ankle gaiters over that.

Any time I hike, everything is tucked. No place for any critters to go before I spot 'em.