Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Preferred Kid Carrier

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Preferred Kid Carrier

Postby Dakota » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:00 pm

Though it is still hard for me to fully come to terms asking this, with our first one on the way, I've been shopping.

Is there a brand that you folks with experience prefer? More specifically between Deuter and Osprey? I have been looking at these two packs online, but living in ND at the moment, I do not have the opportunity to see them in person.

http://www.rei.com/product/828439/osprey-poco-plus-child-carrier
http://www.rei.com/product/810852/deuter-kid-comfort-ii-child-carrier#pr-header-back-to-top-link

I have Osprey backpacks and bags and I love them. I have no experience with Deuter. S&C had the Deuter on sale for $130 which seems to me to be a no brainer to save $130 bucks.

Thanks for your help.
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.
-Albert Einstein

Re: Preferred Kid Carrier

Postby pioletski » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:06 pm

I can certainly vouch for the quality of a Deuter child carrier. The first kid carrier we bought was a Deuter, then when the twins (!) arrived there was a while when we had 3 child packs. The Deuter had a significantly lower empty weight than the others (Kelty and I think Jansport), and seemed to be more comfortable for both the child being carried and the mule doing the carrying. I have never owned an Osprey child carrier but I'm pretty familiar with their other products - I'd say you can't go wrong with either brand.
The greater danger, for most of us, is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low, and we reach it.
- Michelangelo

Postby Jeff Valliere » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:07 am

I too can vouch for the Deuter, as we have two of the Kid Comfort II child carriers (also have twins). They are great for longer hikes where you have to carry food, sippy cups, clothing, diapers, wipes, stuffed animals etc... They carry the weight very well and it is easy to load/unload, they are comfortable/secure for the child and the hood is great for shading them. A feature I thought was pretty cool was that it can accept a bladder, but with all the logistics that go along with getting twins out the door, I never bothered with it. The quality is excellent and they have a pretty good re-sale value on Craigslist.

Also like pioletski, we also had (have) a variety of packs. We started with Baby Bjorns worn on the front when they were really small, then the Deuter and we also have ErgoBaby carriers for shorter hikes/civilian use, as they are lighter and more ergonomic.

Now, at age 3, we are in that in between stage where they are too big to carry (nor do they really want to be carried for long), yet too little to get really far. With one, you can push it a bit more, as one is quite easy to deal with or carry out if you have to, but when two kids get tired or melt down at once, that can make for an interesting day.

With just one child, you will be at a huge advantage and should not slow you down at all. Congrats!

On the summit of Green Mountain (with an old Kelty Pack somebody gave us, but it was really lousy, so I soon upgraded to the Deuter)

Heading to Crater Lakes, IPW

Postby Dakota » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:14 pm

Thank you pioletski and Jeff for the advice. I think I will go with the Deuter for sure then. I just have to order the sun shade now. It sounds like my wife is going to get something like a baby bjorn as well initially. I feel for both of you with twins. I can't imagine the day to day effort!

Jeff, the Green Mountain pic made me chuckle. That is quite the the cargo load! :)
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.
-Albert Einstein

Postby Jeff Valliere » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:37 pm

Dakota007 wrote:Thank you pioletski and Jeff for the advice. I think I will go with the Deuter for sure then. I just have to order the sun shade now. It sounds like my wife is going to get something like a baby bjorn as well initially. I feel for both of you with twins. I can't imagine the day to day effort!

Jeff, the Green Mountain pic made me chuckle. That is quite the the cargo load! :)

You will not be disappointed with the Deuter. I think they come with the sunshade and rain cover (but I could be mistaken, as we purchased them second hand on Craigslist).

The double carry up peaks was like a circus act, especially when bringing the dog along as well. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending how you look at it), the solo double carry only lasted 6 months or so from when their necks got strong enough to support their heads until they just got too heavy. Fun times.