Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Essentials for Backcountry Touring

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Essentials for Backcountry Touring

Postby sanjuanmtnguide » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:17 pm

Howdy, I just put together this little blog about the mini-repair kit I carry on all of my backountry ski tours. Thought it might be helpful for some and I would be interested in seeing/hearing what other people bring or view as essential touring kit. Thanks! http://mtnguide.net/blog/

Re: Essentials for Backcountry Touring

Postby Dave B » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:26 pm

Cool writeup. One of my dynafits exploded early season last year and I had to plow through deep snow for miles (uphill both ways too) with one boot and one ski to get back to the car. I've carried a repair kit ever since but some good ideas in here.

Thanks!
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby Dex » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:07 am

I don't ski but carry a repair kit for snowshoes.

I never considered a Pole splint.

Thanks
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby COBuckeye » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:24 am

In addition to the steel wool, would you consider carrying a small packet of two-part 5min epoxy for repairing a stripped screw? I don't know how often you would encounter a stripped screw in the field, but the weight penalty of the epoxy is nil.
"...cause I got changed by what I've been shown, more glory than the world has known, keeps me ramblin' on..." - Josh Garrels (Farther Along)