Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Broke College Kid...ski recomendations?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Broke College Kid...ski recomendations?

Postby thedudeabides » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:09 pm

The air is getting cold and the snow is on its way, and this guy is getting very excited for another ski season. This year, I'm planning on adding some back country trips to the itinerary, and I'm hoping to find a solid ski that I can take anywhere. What do you guys recommend that's (relatively) cheap, light, and versatile?
“It's hard and it's dangerous, but it's really simple. You have this mountain, and you just want to go up there.”

-Ueli Steck

Re: Broke College Kid...ski recomendations?

Postby painless4u2 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:26 pm

I'm not a broke college kid (certainly was one though long ago) but am really a tightwad when it comes to spending. Finally broke down and replaced my old Solomon Screams with some demo Dynastar Cham 87's. They're light, all-mountain skis good for back country, and just about everything else. Bought 'em online including bindings. They had been used all of 6 times. PM me if you want more info.
In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9

Bad decisions often make good stories.

"Well, that didn't go as expected." - Brett Maune

Postby rickinco123 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:27 pm

Just buy whatever you can find cheaply. I used to take out like 20+ pairs of skis per season. Around '98 they just stopped making bad skis due to technology. If you are looking for one for specific conditions, read on line reviews. That's the best you can do without actually demo'ing them.

Postby MatB » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:57 pm

Craigslist, Geartrade.com, REI garage sales (though you have to purchase a membership).

I've gotten some absolute steals at REI garage sales. Pair of full tilt boots for 75 (the intution liners alone are worth over a hundred that now sit in my AT boots), some La Sportiva Trangos for 89 that had been worn once (even if it isn't what your looking for, just an example/me being proud of my bargain hunting).

Get an idea of exactly what you want, then start searching and be patient (if you can).

Sorry, just paid closer attention to your question. I have no advice for you on what ski, good luck.
"Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived,'"
- Dalai Lama, when asked about what surprises him the most about humanity

Postby jrs1965 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:29 pm

If you're okay with used, in the Colorado Springs you can check at Mountain Equipment Recyclers, or Gearonimo. Both shops will occasionally will have some used AT gear. You can also check with Mountain Chalet, sometimes they sell their previous years AT rentals.

Postby SchralpTheGnar » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:52 pm

I'd recommend the Google Search Engine X-Screams?

Postby COBuckeye » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:14 pm

Another option that is hit or miss...consignment stores/thrift stores in ski towns. There is a good one in Frasier on US40, I think it is called the Ice Box, but I don't really know. I'm sure Breck, Frisco, Silverthorn all have something similar.
"...cause I got changed by what I've been shown, more glory than the world has known, keeps me ramblin' on..." - Josh Garrels (Farther Along)

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:38 pm

How broke are you? If you're really strapped for cash and already have an alpine setup, you really have two issues: 1) ascending backcountry terrain and 2) using your current alpine skis.

You could just buy Alpine Trekkers plus skins and use your current alpine boot+ski setup. It's a good way to start in the backcountry with a cost-of-entry of about $250.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby EatinHardtack » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:43 pm

Here's a full setup for a good price - http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/gearclass.php?entry=1909&start=25&cpgm=gearmain

Not sure what you're looking for in a ski but if you're looking to go light and pretty versatile look into G3 Skis or something in the Black Diamond line up (you can usually find some good deals on either brands).
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Postby TeamDino5280 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:49 pm

EatinHardtack wrote:Here's a full setup for a good price - http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/gearclass.php?entry=1909&start=25&cpgm=gearmain

Not sure what you're looking for in a ski but if you're looking to go light and pretty versatile look into G3 Skis or something in the Black Diamond line up (you can usually find some good deals on either brands).

Thanks for the plug !
"Real adventure is defined best as a journey from which you may not come back alive, and certainly not as the same person."
- Yvon Chouinard
"I try to play by the mountain’s rules instead of mine."
- Lou Dawson

Postby MatB » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:36 pm

I got some trekkers with 6-7 days on em that I'll sell ya for 75. PM if interested.
"Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived,'"
- Dalai Lama, when asked about what surprises him the most about humanity

Postby thedudeabides » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:13 pm

Thanks guys! This gear is super tempting...the penny pinching starts.....
“It's hard and it's dangerous, but it's really simple. You have this mountain, and you just want to go up there.”

-Ueli Steck

Next