Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Grand Cherokee vs. Xterra

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Grand Cherokee vs. Xterra

Postby SchralpTheGnar » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:11 pm

my subaru runs on my sense of self superiority.

Postby rquayle » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:29 pm

I have a 2006 4RUNNER with the off road package. It has over 90,000 miles and is awesome. Yes, they cost more but the maintenance costs are very low and the resale is much higher than the Nissan or the Jeep. The 4RUNNER will take me anywhere I have the cajones to try driving/terrific for getting to remote trailheads for 14ers.

Postby TallGrass » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:41 pm

Dex wrote:Try this stuff you can get at Walmart
http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_products.sd?iid=269&catid=8
and this for regular use if you like it.
http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_products.sd?iid=26&catid=8&loc=show&headTitle=%20-%20Lucas%20Fuel%20Treatment
I'm guessing I picked up 1.25mpg on both.

As P. T. Barnum is credited with saying, there's one born every minute. Then there's post-purchase a rationalization of trying to make the non-empirical sound empirical. Slick 50, K&N anything, any PIAA halogen bulb, Lucas oils, and more are all among the over-hyped, over-priced, and under-performing products whose main success is in the margins for the manufacturers and retailers.
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby mtree » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:08 am

Carborundum wrote:Jeep Rubi serving a shelter, it ranks far behind the others in this regard.

Unlimited is a 4 door. Seats fold down. About the same roominess (or lack of!) as Xterra or Cherokee. But if you're over 6 feet tall it'll be tough stretching out. Might have to sleep diagonal. I've 'camped' in it several times. Quite nice!

To make things even cozier. My roof rack (Wild Boar) opens sideways and can act as shelter when covered. If it's raining or drizzling I can sit outside and relax with a nice beverage and a hot meal!
"Cool Prius!" - nobody

Postby norseman » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:58 pm

I've got an '08 Xterra Off Road, never had a problem with it. It's does what it's supposed to do very well, hauls all the gear plus 2 dogs easily with no worries. Jeep reliablity not what I want in backcountry.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds.
- Edward Abbey

Postby Andymcp1 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:40 am

One other option, and what I did personally, is to buy a regular city car and then have your mountain vehicle. I own a Honda accord (34 mpg around town), and then bought a 2001 Jeep Cherokee. With a 3 inch lift and 32's I can go more places than any stock 4 runner, grand Cherokee, or xterra and it only cost 4k. (vs the 30k + price tags on the new options)
Just a thought. My hiking partner has a Jeep and despite all the complaints about the reliability I have nothing bad to say from our experience.

Find something you like, and go for it. Everyone will have their own opinion on it, but any way you go I think you will enjoy yourself.

Postby Bullwinkle » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:13 am

I have a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4X4 and absolutely love it as an on-road/off-road compromise vehicle. Very comfortable, feature-rich, practical and excellent fuel economy for a full-size 4X4 SUV. At 26,000 miles, many of which were in the back country, I have had zero defects and little difficulty navigating some tough access roads. I had an H3 previously which was a better off-road crawler in the toughest conditions, but it was less practical as a daily commuter. My highway mileage is regularly 26-27 MPG and commuting MPG is 21-22 MPG. The base model is very well-equipped, so I only added a full set of mud mats, towing package, and 4X4 off-road package. Total out-the-door cost (new) was $30K. My only complaint is the standard Goodyear Forteras. It is a great on-road tire, but you will need a higher ply tire for off-road use. For the first times in about forever I have had flats in each of the last two summers--on graded roads in Custer County. I may also add a lift kit next year. Minimum running ground clearance is 8.6 inches at the front end; further back it ranges from 9 inches to 11+ inches.
As a mountain more fully reveals itself to a man, so the true nature of the man will be more fully revealed

Postby uwe » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:42 am

My combo: PRIUS & FJ Cruiser.
Combined average gas mileage of 33/mpg. :)

Postby Dex » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:09 am

TallGrass wrote:
Dex wrote:Try this stuff you can get at Walmart
http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_products.sd?iid=269&catid=8
and this for regular use if you like it.
http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_products.sd?iid=26&catid=8&loc=show&headTitle=%20-%20Lucas%20Fuel%20Treatment
I'm guessing I picked up 1.25mpg on both.

As P. T. Barnum is credited with saying, there's one born every minute. Then there's post-purchase a rationalization of trying to make the non-empirical sound empirical. Slick 50, K&N anything, any PIAA halogen bulb, Lucas oils, and more are all among the over-hyped, over-priced, and under-performing products whose main success is in the margins for the manufacturers and retailers.

I used Windows' Excel - miles/gas gallons - not Windows' post-purchase a rationalization calculator.

I've also seen a slight pick up in mpg by going from 10w-30 synthetic oil to 0w-30 synthetic oil in the winter - this was in Colorado.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby yedi » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:36 pm

How about a Toyota Tacoma? Slap a shell on the back, build a sleeping platform for the bed, and you're good. Palatial trailhead living.

DSC03031.jpg
DSC03031.jpg (44.88 KiB) Viewed 433 times

Postby painless4u2 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:34 pm

I always thought that was the Colorado State Official Vehicle. Especially with a kayak mounted on the roof. :-"
In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9

Bad decisions often make good stories.

"Well, that didn't go as expected." - Brett Maune

Postby yedi » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:22 pm

I did sneak it out of the state motor pool. Don't tell anyone.

PreviousNext