Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Grand Cherokee vs. Xterra

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Grand Cherokee vs. Xterra

Postby RobertKay » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:14 am

Tortoise1 wrote:The 3.6 liter Pentastar engine in the Jeep is off to a pretty shaky start. I want to get a new Wrangler but it scares me a bit. The Nissan 4.0 liter seems to be very solid.

What problems are they having? I have one in my Wrangler Unlimited - should I sell it now?
Peakmarker.com

Postby lordhelmut » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:56 am

Aside from fracking under houses and mercury infused teeth fillers - since the OP mentioned a Subaru Outback 2.5 limited, all I can say is maybe pony up a little more and go for the 3.6 (probably better overall for Colorado) if you decide to go that route (only come in automatic). Then again, that might defeat the purpose of getting the Subaru for the mpg's. The 2.5 manual is a 6-speed and does climb hills well. Mine averages 27-30. I used to be turned off by the almost SUV look of the new Outbacks, but have come to embrace the roomier interior, 8.7 inches of clearance and everything else that goes along with it.

Postby moff » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:11 am

I've put 60K on my Pro 4X in the 3 years I've had it, and it's been a great vehicle. I've taken it on several of those crazy 14er roads, and it's been awesome - I've only had to change the oil on schedule so far. I had 4 runner before the Pro 4X, and that was a great vehicle too; bang for your buck though, I'd probably go with the Pro 4X (don't know much about the Grand Cherokee). I wish the MPG were better, but that's what you get if you pick a vehicle like this.

Postby Tortoise1 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:22 am

RobertKay wrote:
Tortoise1 wrote:The 3.6 liter Pentastar engine in the Jeep is off to a pretty shaky start. I want to get a new Wrangler but it scares me a bit. The Nissan 4.0 liter seems to be very solid.

What problems are they having? I have one in my Wrangler Unlimited - should I sell it now?

It's all a bit mysterious because Chrysler hasn't been very open about it. But all Jeep forums have threads, very long threads, like this:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/penstar-recall-replace-cylindar-head-1405650/
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/potential-2012-pentastar-issue-1325656/

Supposedly the problem was fixed in the summer of 2012, see post 88 here - http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/penstar-recall-replace-cylindar-head-1405650/index6.html

But there remains some doubt about whether that fixed all the problems. It's a complex engine. Looks to me like Chrysler engineers were just a bit over their heads on this one.

Postby denvermikey » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:56 am

Having worked in the auto industry for nearly a decade I can tell you that it is a give and take with the Jeep Grand Cherokee. It is one of the nicest (sub-luxury) SUVs on the market when it comes ride, comfort, and how it is equipped. That being said it is simply one of the most trouble-laden SUVs on the market in the last decade +. They are an excellent combination of on-road ride and off-road ability. It's not that if you buy one it is guaranteed to give you trouble. It's just that your odds of having issues are higher, much higher.
The X-Terra is a very good option albeit a more 'spartan' interior and design. Great off-road and better reliability.
The 4Runner is a great alternative that combines the best of the Nissan and Jeep. Great stock off-road ability like both, but better on-road mannerisms than the Nissan. I know the 4Runner is expensive, but it really isn't that much more than a Jeep GC. It pays off in the long run with better reliability and extremely high resale.
The Subaru is still a good option as well that offers better MPGs and decent off-road. There may be a small handful of trails that you can't access with a Subie vs true off-road SUV with 4-lo.
"Every man dies, not every man really lives" - William Wallace
"Because it's there" - George Mallory
"In the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln
"You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough" - Mae West
"Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world." - Unknown

Postby Lady McClimbsalot » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:19 am

I'm a girl so my opinion is worth little to none when it comes to cars :lol: ... but my first car was a 1993 manual 4runner. I was a terrible driver and drove that thing over curbs, into walls, into other cars, on dirt bike tracks and mountain trails. For what I put it through, it's the best car I've ever had. I'm sure a grown man who knows what he's doing would take much better care of one and be able to get a lot more out of it. Toyotas are solid and just last forever. Even after everything mine went through, dealership gave me $4k for it for a trade-in. \:D/ I miss it, though.
I'll climb till I dye!

Postby NM_Hiker » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:05 am

JTOlson26 wrote:
Shooter wrote:
pioletski wrote:I'm really happy with my 4Runner... just sayin'...

+1

+2

+3

The best auto purchase I have ever made. I didnt know you could go out and buy a best friend :)

Postby winmag4582001 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:52 am

I've owned a few Jeeps and 4x4's over the years, and I'd never give up my Forester. Can't make it to but a few trailheads, but that doesnt matter much. On the other hand, if I were to go back to a bigger 4x4 the only one I would consider is the Toyota LandCruiser. I liked my Jeep Cherokee because it was so cheap to buy(used) and repair. IMO Go with a 4Runner, FJ, or Xterra. If you opt for a Chrysler product then you should look at a used one and save yourself $20k.
"Remember, you're unique, just like everybody else."-Joel Bernardini

Postby its_not_a_tuba » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:25 am

I was convinced when I was shopping that 4Runner would be the car for me, until I test drove it. I found it to feel much larger than it really is and visibility over the hood for off roading is terrible. Right afterward I test drove an Xterra and instantly fell in love - it is nimble and very powerful and mine has been extremely reliable. Both are great trucks though.

If you get an Xterra I'd personally go with a 6 speed manual if you can find one. If you do get an automatic you should be aware that the transmission cooling system is poorly designed and prone to failure although there is a very easy & cheap DIY correction to prevent the failure. Same goes for automatic Pathfinders & Frontiers. Google "nissan SMOD" to learn more.

As for the Grand Cherokee I personally don't think it is in the same class any longer now that they have gone with unibody construction. It is more of a rugged car than a truck and no longer has the frame strength for serious off road trail work. Same goes for the Nissan Pathfinder as of this year, the Ford Explorer and I would not be at all surprised if the 4Runner followed this trend in the next couple of years, as much of a shame as that would be. The Xterra will probably get dropped all together in the next year or two. :-(
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson

Postby painless4u2 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:41 am

If you do get an automatic you should be aware that the transmission cooling system is poorly designed and prone to failure although there is a very easy & cheap DIY correction to prevent the failure. Same goes for automatic Pathfinders & Frontiers. Google "nissan SMOD" to learn more.

True, this. My 2005 Pathfinder's tranny and radiator failed because of this problem. They replaced both, but with the same problematic parts. I did the modification as mentioned and it took all of 10 minutes. There were a few years affected by this problem, so buyer beware.
In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9

Bad decisions often make good stories.

"Well, that didn't go as expected." - Brett Maune

Postby mtree » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:23 pm

Go all out. Get a real machine. Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited. Of course, mine doesn't have that fancy schmancy new engine so what do I know. I'm not sure, but I think I ran over a Prius on the way up to Jaws I. I couldn't really tell. I was laughing so hard I had tears in my eyes.
"Cool Prius!" - nobody

Postby Carborundum » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:26 pm

Jeep Rubi serving a shelter, it ranks far behind the others in this regard.
Illegitimi non carborundum!

PreviousNext