Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Grand Cherokee vs. Xterra

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Grand Cherokee vs. Xterra

Postby Yikes » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:04 pm

blame it all on those developing countries...

anywho, I like my Xterra

Postby GregMiller » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:07 pm

I do love my Subaru :-D

All you need is a friend with an xterra to get you to those last couple trailheads the subie won't get to.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby painless4u2 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:29 pm

12ersRule wrote:
people still get away with selling these monstrosities

Monstrosities? These aren't exactly H1 Hummers. 22 mpg maybe doesn't match your Prius, but they will sure take you a lot more places and tow a lot more stuff. You pay a bit more in fuel costs to do much more with your vehicle, beyond getting groceries at Whole Foods. By the way, the US is expected to be a net oil exporter in a few years.
In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9

Bad decisions often make good stories.

Postby Mountainspirit » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:42 pm

My '01 Laredo takes me anywhere. I keep up with annual maintenance (some years are more than others) and averages 22 mpg in 4WD. It has about 235,000 miles and writing this better not jinx anything! :-"

Postby highpilgrim » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:44 pm

painless4u2 wrote:By the way, the US is expected to be a net oil exporter in a few years.

Sweet!

I hope they're fracking under your house or at least in your neighborhood. I wouldn't want them to only destroy the Canadian wilderness on our way to leadership in global oil production.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Postby falcon568 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:53 pm

I bought a Xterra Pro-4X when I moved to Colorado this last summer, and love it thus far. Hauls all my gear, saves me miles of mind-numbing road slogging to get to the 4WD Trailheads, and I can sleep in the back with the seats folded down (6'4" tall). I looked at getting a 4Runner, which are awesome, but you have to pay so much more to get the same trail features. Either that or shop models 5 years older than you were hoping for. Can't go wrong with either though. The Pro-4X has a pretty Spartan interior, but plently of storage room. I keep some granola bars tucked away in the middle console to toss to hungry Prius owners laboring up from the 2WD Trailheads. I may or may not feel inclined to congratulate them on their environmental superiority with the following as I pass
"Of course, inside each one of us is the ambition to reach the summit, to realize that you are stronger than obstacles, that it is within your power to do something uncommon and indeed impossible for most people. But one must be prepared to face those obstacles..."-Ed Viesturs

"When I was a child, I felt there was something I had to find before I died. I imagined it as some lost, golden country, glittering on the other side of the mist across our neighbor's fields, hidden within the shadows behind our stone wall—some place beyond the fixed patterns of society, the grey chronology that led inexorably to death. In my twenties, on my first free solo, the light seemed to shatter through me, and the sky pour down the rock. Like so many climbers, immersed in that sudden, radiant awareness of now, I've had that brief and total conviction that each moment is both fleeting and eternal"-Katie Ives

Postby RobertKay » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:03 pm

The best off road vehicle is a rental car with the full insurance package!
Peakmarker.com

Postby painless4u2 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:30 pm

I hope they're fracking under your house or at least in your neighborhood.

Funny!

Actually, they may already be doing that. Hard to tell though, since it's usually done several thousand feet underground and goes on unnoticed by most. Fracking has been going on since the '40's in the US, by the way, but just now getting a lot of notice. Especially by the Prius crowd it seems.

Fill 'er up!
In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9

Postby cory1223oh » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:44 pm

Postby highpilgrim » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:50 pm

painless4u2 wrote:Fill 'er up!

painless4u2 wrote:Fracking has been going on since the '40's in the US, by the way, but just now getting a lot of notice.

Yeah, and the dental boys of that period were filling teeth with mercury infused silver...mercury has sure proved to be beneficial to human health, hasn't it?

And correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the water table deep below the surface, unnoticed by most?
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Postby painless4u2 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:06 pm

I guess they didn't teach much dentistry or geology in design school, huh?

We're terribly off message here, but mercury alloyed silver restorations are still in use today, and happen to be one of the most tested (and proven safe) materials used in humans for well over 100 years.

The water tables are many thousand feet shallower than the fractured drilling that is going on, in a completely unrelated, and protected, layer.

Back on subject, I really like my '05 Pathfinder Off Road 4X4. 159,000 miles and counting.

Now that's sweet!

Postby Tortoise1 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:43 pm

The 3.6 liter Pentastar engine in the Jeep is off to a pretty shaky start. I want to get a new Wrangler but it scares me a bit. The Nissan 4.0 liter seems to be very solid.

PreviousNext