Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Grand Cherokee vs. Xterra

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Grand Cherokee vs. Xterra

Postby chrismjx » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:44 pm

Because the vehicle that gets you to the trailhead and sometimes serves as your shelter too is "gear" in my mind :-D

I'm shopping for a new vehicle and figured I could get some good input and experiences from this community. I'm considering either:

Nissan Xterra Pro-4X
Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4
Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited (main attraction here is the gas mileage)

Aaaaannnddd..... GO!

Re: Grand Cherokee vs. Xterra

Postby pioletski » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:51 pm

I'm really happy with my 4Runner... just sayin'...
The greater danger, for most of us, is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low, and we reach it.
- Michelangelo

Postby Dex » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:52 pm

The Xterra is a manly man SUV!
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby alpinenut » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:56 pm

I test drove both the Laredo and the Pro 4X. Laredo is more civilized and comfortable. Much better on the highway. Comes with crappy tires. The Laredo with proper tires and Trail Ready package can go just about anywhere the Pro 4X can and we'll be much better around town. The Jeep will cost you a lot more $$ upfront and in maintenance. I bought the Laredo. For a pure 14ers machine you can't beat the Pro4X (unless you're too tall to sleep in the back). To me it comes down whether this is your one and only vehicle. If so Laredo. If you have a car too go for the Pro 4X.

Postby Shooter » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:26 pm

pioletski wrote:I'm really happy with my 4Runner... just sayin'...

+1

Postby My-Therapy » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:29 pm

Personally I would stay away from the Jeep.

Go with the Xterra or better yet, a 4Runner.

Postby gonzalj » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:40 pm

I recently bought a Pro-4X and love it (both driving it in the city & 4wd roads). 4runner is great, but the price tags were more expensive than the Pro-4X.

Postby KTC88 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:58 pm

I’ve had a Pro-4X for almost 3 years and love it. I’ve been happy with it around town and on the highway. Off-road I’ve driven to the upper TH in Yankee Boy Basin with no problems. Been over Cinnamon and Engineer Passes (down Mineral Creek to Ouray, although I probably won’t do that again…) and up to Jaws .5 on the road to Lake Como (having now seen the road to Jaws 1, I realize I could have made it up that far without any trouble).

Maintenance costs are very reasonable. I get about 16 mpg in the city and 22+ on the highway. While I wish the gas mileage was better, it’s the cost of having a 5000lb towing capacity. The back seats are super easy to remove to create a flat space for sleeping. I’m 5’9” and have plenty of space to stretch out. I just push the front seat forward, put a storage container in the space behind the seat to fill the gap and throw my paco pad down.

Postby mtnview » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:15 pm

Also consider the Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Just starting to ship to the dealers.
2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise (of his return), as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
http://www.truedino.com/colorado14ers.htm

Postby Dex » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:16 pm

KTC88 wrote:Maintenance costs are very reasonable. I get about 16 mpg in the city and 22+ on the highway. While I wish the gas mileage was better, it’s the cost of having a 5000lb towing capacity. The back seats are super easy to remove to create a flat space for sleeping. I’m 5’9” and have plenty of space to stretch out. I just push the front seat forward, put a storage container in the space behind the seat to fill the gap and throw my paco pad down.

Try this stuff you can get at Walmart
http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_products.sd?iid=269&catid=8

and this for regular use if you like it.
http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_products.sd?iid=26&catid=8&loc=show&headTitle=%20-%20Lucas%20Fuel%20Treatment

I have a 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 6 cylinder and getting 18.4 city and 21.5 highway 60mph.

I'm guessing I picked up 1.25mpg on both.

Considering I have 175,000 miles on the truck I'm happy.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby JTOlson26 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:22 pm

Shooter wrote:
pioletski wrote:I'm really happy with my 4Runner... just sayin'...

+1

+2

Postby 12ersRule » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:38 pm

Neither, both get atrocious gas mileage and aren't good for the environment. Amazing in this day and age with oil reserves past their peak and we're taking more and more liberties with extracting these resources out of the ground that people still get away with selling these monstrosities.

Next