Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Prescription sunglasses in Denver/Boulder area?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Prescription sunglasses in Denver/Boulder area?

Postby davidponak » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:02 pm

I know any eye place will have some options but I was wondering if any in particular have a better selection for mountain & snow pursuits. I am aware of opticus but they are online only now and I want to go someplace and get my eyes checked and use my frames benefits.

Particular style and lens recommendations are welcome too, there's a lot of sports specific types to choose from.

Re: Prescription sunglasses in Denver/Boulder area?

Postby larkinrx2 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:59 pm

i wear my regular eye glasses and just use ski goggles that are built to go over them.
the extra spacer is vented foam and allows them to keep cool and not fog and you can get clear or dark UV lenses for them.
Much cheaper, covers more face from wind and sun and don't need to constantly up grade them as eyes change.
What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.

Postby davidponak » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:02 pm

I'll end up getting goggles too for cold and high wind, I just figured I'd get tired of them on the warmer days in the snow and mountains and want to have something I could wear more of the year.

Postby BlueKhan » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:29 pm

I switched from glasses to contacts for the reasons being discussed. I'm now realizing that I should have just gone under the laser. In the long run, it would have saved me a small fortune. If I go that way now, will probably still say me a small fortune...

Postby scootmanjones » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:30 am

I was happy with my prescription sunglasses purchase from Tom's Sportique Eyewear in Boulder.

Postby scott goldberg » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:14 pm

I wear tri-focals, and got a pair of prescription glasses thru my eye doc (Dr Kent Yount, Mountain Vista Eye Care in Littleton) on some climbing specific style frames made by the Rudy Project. Great in summer and especially in winter; among my favorite all-time purchases...i had already used my frame allowance on my regular specs, so i had to cough up the bucks, but it was definitely worth it.

http://www.rudyproject.com/

I too was considering opticus gear, but when i checked out what they had on hand in the office it just worked out...and since his lab puts in the lenses and could make on-site adjustments, it just made it that much easier.

Postby randalmartin » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:11 pm

Yes, Rudy Project make outstanding eyewear. For RX usage this link will show you their products that are specifically designed to work with RX inserts

http://www.rudyprojectusa.com/index_inner_all_rx.php#9

The EKYNOX SX model is mine and what I am wearing in my profile pic. The single best gear purchase I have ever made.