Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Mammut RescYou Crevasse Rescue Device?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Mammut RescYou Crevasse Rescue Device?

Postby yedi » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:42 am

Thanks for the responses!

Backcountrygear.com lists the weight as 400g, which is right around 14 ounces. No idea how accurate that is. I guess if you carried it, you could leave one locker, a pulley, and dedicated prusik cords (I'm thinking of the specific chest and foot prusik cords that FOTH teaches for ascending), which would save a little weight, although I'd probably continue to bring my pulley since I'm neurotic and wouldn't feel comfortable without it.

ETA: Brian, that's a great video. I really like the idea of using a Revolver instead of a second pulley.

Postby Hacksaw » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:14 pm

I have a Rescueyou. I like it a lot, since its lighter then my older Jumar set-up. Its quick and easy to use (i.e., no brainer). And it is so easy to pass a knot through the system. One thing I did do is add a foot loop cord to the t-handle. Since you have it almost prerigged on your harness you really don't feel the weight of it. Plus its compact and ready to deploy.
"True love is much easier to find with a helicopter."

Postby Rock-a-Fella » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:01 pm

IMHO I would not rule this piece out.

How fast can you build a 6:1 up-haul or ascension rig and build it right? Prusik knots don't like wet frozen ropes. Additionally should you have frozen (a la Joe Simpson) fingers or an injured hand / arm it can be rigged and operated with one hand fast & easily or a foot loop as mentioned earlier. It's design is for cold, wet, weather conditions. There are a couple reviews that complain about the absence of a "progress capture". Really? It's right in front of you. Just pull the slack rope through!

For wet frozen rope bite people building their own rigs are going to need 2: Jumar, Traxion, Croll, Tibloc combos or "like" device(s)

That said, I am certain that if I were hanging on a line I could not build a 6:1 rig as fast as I could clip this on! Yes, if you are already carrying enough gear to rig an effective up-haul and can execute the same then you don't need this piece. For those unsure, I would give this another look at a minimum.

My $0.02

Previous