Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Mammut RescYou Crevasse Rescue Device?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Mammut RescYou Crevasse Rescue Device?

Postby yedi » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:42 pm

Anyone tried the Mammut RescYou device? Seems really cool, if a little on the heavy side. I'd be interested in hearing if anyone has real world experience with it.

Re: Mammut RescYou Crevasse Rescue Device?

Postby smoove » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:28 am

Yikes. Looks like a whole new thing to learn when a z pulley really isn't that complicated. But maybe I'd change my mind if I saw a live demonstration of it. For the self rescue part, I think just prusiking up the rope would be easier (not that I've ever tried that with the extra complication of skis).

Postby Brian C » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:05 am

Seems pointless and looks heavy. It's just a fancy block and tackle setup that can also be done with normal carabiners. Does it actually say how much it weighs?
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth

Postby kansas » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:46 am

Brian C wrote:Seems pointless and looks heavy. It's just a fancy block and tackle setup that can also be done with normal carabiners. Does it actually say how much it weighs?

While shopping at Feathered Friends last year, a few friends and I were introduced to the RescYou and got to play with it a little. I want to say it weighs somewhere around 2 pounds, so yeah, it's heavy. It is super fast to set up, easy to use and I could see some big advantages to using one. But in the end none of us purchased one, mostly due to the weight. The only other knock I had on it was it seemed like you could turn it into a tangled unusable mess pretty easily.

The clerk (who was conveniently sponsored by Mammut) swore by the device and said he requires all of his partners to carry one because they are much faster and simpler to set up than a standard Z pulley arrangement.
"In the end, of course, it changed almost nothing. But I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams."
— Jon Krakauer

Postby Brian C » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:52 am

Interesting update! 2 pounds does seem like a lot. I have no doubt that it is a snappy device and would be easy to use but I doubt I'd ever buy one. Wouldn't the height gained from each pull be super small due to the large number of loops in the device?
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John

Postby kansas » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:02 am

Brian C wrote:Interesting update! 2 pounds does seem like a lot. I have no doubt that it is a snappy device and would be easy to use but I doubt I'd ever buy one. Wouldn't the height gained from each pull be super small due to the large number of loops in the device?

The picture on their website doesn't really do it justice, there is a significant amount of cord in there so you can get some good travel with each pull. But for the most part you are right, with the number of loops in the device it's not horribly efficient. The upside is all those loops make hauling less strenuous, you can pull 200lbs with little effort.
"In the end, of course, it changed almost nothing. But I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams."
— Jon Krakauer

Postby Dave B » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:26 am

smoove wrote:Yikes. Looks like a whole new thing to learn when a z pulley really isn't that complicated.

Unless attempted to be learned from the CMC with five different instructors and eight opinions.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby smoove » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:38 am

Dave B wrote:
smoove wrote:Yikes. Looks like a whole new thing to learn when a z pulley really isn't that complicated.

Unless attempted to be learned from the CMC with five different instructors and eight opinions.

Lol. Which is how I had to "learn" it as well.

Postby GerryRigged » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:51 am

I don't have a use for the RescYou but I did find a pretty cool app for avai safety on the Mammut site.

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:55 am

Brian C wrote:It's just a fancy block and tackle setup that can also be done with normal carabiners.

Brian, this is probably a stupid question, so please pardon my ignorance, but wouldn't pulleys provide a lot less resistance than carabiners?

Postby falcon568 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:08 am

Yikes, 2 pounds is a ton of weight to carry. I'd rather just let the person in the crevasse chill for an extra 10 min while the rescue system is set up. As far as friction goes, I usually carry 1-2 prussik-minding pullies on me.
"Of course, inside each one of us is the ambition to reach the summit, to realize that you are stronger than obstacles, that it is within your power to do something uncommon and indeed impossible for most people. But one must be prepared to face those obstacles..."-Ed Viesturs

"When I was a child, I felt there was something I had to find before I died. I imagined it as some lost, golden country, glittering on the other side of the mist across our neighbor's fields, hidden within the shadows behind our stone wall—some place beyond the fixed patterns of society, the grey chronology that led inexorably to death. In my twenties, on my first free solo, the light seemed to shatter through me, and the sky pour down the rock. Like so many climbers, immersed in that sudden, radiant awareness of now, I've had that brief and total conviction that each moment is both fleeting and eternal"-Katie Ives

Postby Brian C » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:27 am

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:
Brian C wrote:It's just a fancy block and tackle setup that can also be done with normal carabiners.

Brian, this is probably a stupid question, so please pardon my ignorance, but wouldn't pulleys provide a lot less resistance than carabiners?

Carabiners would totally have a ton more friction than the pulleys! (but it still is doable with 2 ovals and a length of cord)

My crevasse setup I carry is just a micro traxion and a DMM pulley carabiner. I made a short video about it when I was training to go to Peru this past summer if anybody is interested (disclaimer! I know nothing and am not a professional!!! :?: )

Seemed to work very well and the traxion can also be used as an ascender.

http://www.brianinthewild.com/crevasse-training-modified-31-haul.html
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John

Next