Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Avalanche Workshop

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Avalanche Workshop

Postby MountainRescue Aspen » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:15 pm

NOTICE: Date Shift & Venue change!

Saturday Evening / Sunday Day event ! St. Regis Hotel (2 blocks west of the gondola)!

Mountain Rescue Aspen presents its 29th Annual Avalanche Awareness Workshop

Learn or Refresh the fundamentals of Avalanche Awareness including: Avalanche Hazard Evaluation, Snow Pit "How To", Beacon Search, Route Selection, Safe Travel Technique, Strategic Shoveling Technique.

When: January 18th (Sat) & 19th (Sun) 2014 Cost: $30
Where: Saturday Night Classroom Session: Ballroom at The St. Regis Hotel Aspen, Colorado
Sunday Field Session: Richmond Ridge, Aspen Mountain then concluding in ballroom at The St. Regis Hotel
Time: Saturday 18th Registration: 5:30PM to 6:00PM Classroom Session 6:00PM to 8:30PM (MUST ATTEND Saturday to Participate Sunday)

Sunday 19th 8:30AM to 4:30PM (Be prepared to be outside all day on Sunday! Bring food, water, snacks, appropriate outerwear)
Must have snow travel gear (Skis with skins or Snowshoes or Snowmachine)
St. Regis Hotel is located at 315 E Dean St. 2 blocks west of Gondola Plaza
*Snow travel Gear rentals available in Aspen @ The Ute Mountaineer 970-925-2849 Pls arrange gear rental prior to Saturday's 6PM session as you will NOT have time after the Saturday session!

Avalanche Beacon / Transceivers recommended but not required (*rentals units available)

Presenters include: Mountain Rescue Team Members, Professional Guides, CAIC Avalanche Forecasters, Freeride Pros, Ski Patrollers, Avalanche Educators, Powder Guides and more

This Workshop focuses on Terrain Recognition, Companion Rescue and Situational Decision Making.

$30 Covers: Friday night lecture, Saturday Field Session and Classroom, One time gondola pass, avalanche educational materials

Mountain Rescue Aspen Tees, Hats, Water bottles will be on display for sale. (shameless plug)

It's a Great way to Begin or Refresh your Avalanche Education.

Workshop Includes: Avalanche Education Fundamentals, Terrain Recognition, Transceiver / Beacon Use, Snow Pit "How To", Rescue Scenario, Probe Techniques, Shoveling, Situational Decision Making and more!

Welcome: *Skiers, *Snowboarders, Snowshoers, *Mountaineers, *Snowmobilers (When Registering Please identify your method of snow travel)
*Alpine(downhill) Skiers & Snowboarders will need snowshoes or splitboard w/ skins for small amount of uphill travel; rental available.*Mountaineers remember to bring or rent snow travel gear. Snowmobilers must bring their own machine)

This Workshop is open to the first 130 paid registrants ! Pre Registration is recommended but not required.

[i]Pre Payment is NOT required unless you are paying by Credit or Debit Card. Cash and Check ONLY at the door. Thank you for your cooperation.
Pre Registration Requested but not required [/i]

Snow Pit "How To" Station
Terrain Problem
Beacon "Signal Acquisition" Station
Last edited by MountainRescue Aspen on Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
"We are a Volunteer Organization dedicated to Saving Lives through Backcountry Rescue and Mountain Safety Education"

http://mountainrescueaspen.org/

Re: Avalanche Workshop

Postby forbins_mtn » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:57 am

thank you. girlfriend and i will be there!

EDIT: do you know when the application site goes live?

Postby MountainRescue Aspen » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:13 am

Thank you for your interest and support!

Standard Registration link to go "Live" in the first week of November. We will Re-Post or BUMP the thread then.

If someone need to register prior to that date we want to make that happen so her is how:

Pre registration uses PayPal (credit card, debit card or checking account required to to use)

Pre Registration: Prior to the "C.A.W.S. Link"going live click the "DONATE" button on our webpage. Put "C.A.W.S." (Community Avalanche Workshop) in the notes and include the FULL names of the people you are paying for along with their method of snow travel. (Skier (SK) Snowboarder (SB) Snowshoer (SS) Snowmobiler (SM) Be sure to multiply the number of attendees you are paying for by $30 (example 4 people X $30 = $120 total payment)

Huge thanks to the 14ers.com community for helping to get the word out!
"We are a Volunteer Organization dedicated to Saving Lives through Backcountry Rescue and Mountain Safety Education"

Postby vusteph » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:23 am

as long as nothing comes up in our schedules, boyfriend and i will be there!

Postby globreal » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:55 pm

MountainRescue Aspen wrote:Thank you for your interest and support!

Standard Registration link to go "Live" in the first week of November. We will Re-Post or BUMP the thread then.

If someone need to register prior to that date we want to make that happen so her is how:

Pre registration uses PayPal (credit card, debit card or checking account required to to use)

Pre Registration: Prior to the "C.A.W.S. Link"going live click the "DONATE" button on our webpage. Put "C.A.W.S." (Community Avalanche Workshop) in the notes and include the FULL names of the people you are paying for along with their method of snow travel. (Skier (SK) Snowboarder (SB) Snowshoer (SS) Snowmobiler (SM) Be sure to multiply the number of attendees you are paying for by $30 (example 4 people X $30 = $120 total payment)

Huge thanks to the 14ers.com community for helping to get the word out!

Thanks! I just registered. Looking forward to being with you MRA!
Luke 1:30 The angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary; for you have found favor with God. 31 "And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall name Him Jesus.

34 Mary said to the angel, "How can this be, since I am a virgin ?"

37 "For nothing will be impossible with God."

Postby uwe » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:55 pm

Hi there,

Somebody was asking about CMC' avalanche awareness courses.
Here is a link.
http://www.hikingdenver.net/schools/avalanche-terrain-avoidance-seminar

Postby Pascual » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:28 pm

Hi!

Is it already closed ?
My wife and myself would like to participate... :(
Challenges provide opportunities for improvement, which, in the end, make it easier to achieve private and public Happiness.
And there is always a challenge for those who seek it.

Postby MountainRescue Aspen » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:39 pm

Pascual wrote:Hi!

Is it already closed ?
My wife and myself would like to participate... :(

If you are referring to MRA's workshop, plenty of space available as we have not "formally advertised" the event yet.

Follow the instructions in the Original Post above if you want to register now. We will post again soon with a "link" on our webpage (url below)

Postby skylerguyy » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:26 pm

I clicked on the donate page but where is the note section so I can put how many people and what i am registering for? is that after the payment method?

Postby Pascual » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:02 pm

Sky, you will see a clickable link (will show the text box after you click it) at the last page of the payment process, at the left top part of the screen.

I just pay for us and it worked just fine.
I think you know it, but just in case, remember to write "C.A.W.S." (Community Avalanche Workshop) January 17th & 18th 2014; - Your-name ; Transport: SB snow shoers (your method of transportation)

We'll see you there !!!
Challenges provide opportunities for improvement, which, in the end, make it easier to achieve private and public Happiness.
And there is always a challenge for those who seek it.

Postby skylerguyy » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:57 pm

Cool thank you. And after you are done purchasing. Do they send you an email confirmation saying who was registered or not? How do you know they reserved a spot for you?

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:24 pm

Sounds like a great learning opportunity, hope to make it depending on if I can get the days off.

Next